cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Monument Valley - Navajo Guided Tours

Don___Carolyn
Explorer
Explorer
We will be visiting Monument Valley in Arizona/Utah in early September. Have any of you taken one of the vehicle guided tours? Do you have a company that you would recommend? There are many listed on the Navajo Monument Valley National Park web site.

Also, do you have a recommendation for a campground nearby?

Thanks!
Don & Carolyn

2006 Dodge 2500 diesel 6 speed
17' Casita Independence Deluxe
15 REPLIES 15

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Clattertruck, I stand corrected about the trading post museum building. Interesting that you got to talk him - a real link to the golden age of western movies.

Clattertruck
Explorer
Explorer
Don & Carolyn wrote:

The next morning before leaving, we stopped at the little Gouldings Museum over near the hotel. This was the original hotel and it has movie memorabilia, especially about John Wayne. Worth an hour or so. We went on up to Blandings, which has a great small museum of Ancestral Puebloan artifacts at Edge of the Cedars State Park. From there, a straight shot on up to the Moab area.

FYI the museum building was the original trading post. Harry Goulding and his wife Mike lived upstairs. I had the pleasure of talking to Harry in 1965.

Ron
Clattertruck
2008 SD F450 Pickup PSD 6.4L CC 4X4 DRW, Lariat Auto trans 4.30 LS, 2013 Lance TT 1885, Toyota 2014 Tundra Crew Max 5.7.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Don & Carolyn wrote:
THANK YOU for all of the wonderful information! We will be in the Monument Valley area around September 10. Did you all stay in the area for about two days?

We stayed one night and felt it was plenty. We drove down from Mesa Verde(with a brief stop for a photo at Four Corners)and arrived mid-day. At Gouldings' campground office, we booked a late afternoon open van tour for that same day. The van picked us up right in front of the campground office, very convenient.

By going late afternoon, we had wonderful light on the red rocks. Our guide was not particularly forthcoming with any information, perhaps because all the other passengers spoke Italian and French (probably not will be the case in mid September.) But the scenery speaks for itself, and the guides know the ideal stops for great photos.

A tip - Bring water and be sure to hit the restroom before the tour. There were none down in the valley except a "last resort" portapotty, and that was a couple of hours into the tour.

The next morning before leaving, we stopped at the little Gouldings Museum over near the hotel. This was the original hotel and it has movie memorabilia, especially about John Wayne. Worth an hour or so. We went on up to Blandings, which has a great small museum of Ancestral Puebloan artifacts at Edge of the Cedars State Park. From there, a straight shot on up to the Moab area.

Don___Carolyn
Explorer
Explorer
THANK YOU for all of the wonderful information! We will be in the Monument Valley area around September 10. Did you all stay in the area for about two days?

Thanks!
Don & Carolyn

2006 Dodge 2500 diesel 6 speed
17' Casita Independence Deluxe

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The boondocking spot mentioned above is directly in front of the much-photographed 'Mittens'. To be parked there and taking in the view in all lighting is truly special. We enjoy staying there. However, they are now in the middle of re-doing the area - not sure if making regular campsites or what but I don't believe it's open right now. Check online. Many folks stop there for a night so perhaps they'll make campsites to up the price which would be a shame. The 'rustic' look fits in just fine with the area. We've always driven our own vehicle so we can take our time with photos. You can also get out of your own vehicle and walk around to get another viewpoint. We've gone out morning and again in the evening for different lighting. Yes, the road is rough and again, it should be to go with the surroundings. You just drive slow as everyone does. It's not that long of a drive through the Valley. Enjoy your trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

SkipperW
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't mind boondocking there is a campground (use that term loosely, actually more a parking lot designated for camping) within the Tribal Park that overlooks the mittens. The only facility it has is a port-a-jon, and I think it's $10 a night to stay there. It's very doable for a night or two and worth the inconvenience just for the privilege of waking up to that view!

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
we used Simpson's Monument Valley tours and they asked us if we wanted an open jeep or a van. We chose the van and really enjoyed ourselves. The "off limits" areas are well worth the price. Plus it is very rough on your own private vehicle. I'd prefer to let the commercial vehicle's suspension absorb all the abuse ๐Ÿ™‚

www.trailhandlertours.com

cacoon
Explorer
Explorer
Stay at Gouldings RV park, we had space 34 I had a super view. We took the private tour out of Gouldings it was about 3 to 4 hours being it was private we were in a van. It was very reasonable. Every one we came in contact was friendly and fun to be around.

Dixiechick
Explorer
Explorer
We love Monument Valley and have been there twice. Both times we stayed at Gouldings and both times we took the all day tour. The guides will tell you about the formations and the lifestyle of the Navajo, depending on the guide. The last trip we took our guide (I believe her name was Carol) took us to visit her Grandmother who was living in a traditional Hogan.
The tours depart from Gouldings so you just go to the office to sign up. The people there are extremely poor so we try to buy a few trinkets and spend a little money while we are there.
Not all of the Navajo you meet will be friendly but just try to remember how we have treated these people in the past and I am sure you will understand why they feel as they do.
Cathy and Don, finally retired :B
Cats-Whiskers the Princess and Shadow the Baby
2008 Allegro Class A Open Road 32'

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently there are no road graders in the area because the tour we went on was VERY bumpy from ruts in the road and the Guides like to drive fast! One of the passengers with a sore back BEFORE the trip was complaining.
It may be my ignorance but I'd feel a little funny driving my car around in some of the areas that the natives believe are sacred. Of course, they can drive there!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Being so close we have been to Monument Valley several times and one of my favorite places to photograph. (See www.LaurenBarbara.com click the Wanderings link and the M V link under AZ). I also recommend Gouldings and make reservations for sure (ask for site 39).

We have done the tour only once - it is an open sided truck and you ride on benches / bench seats. Yes, you do get places not open to the "public" but we found these were not that much of value. Like anything else, depends on the "guide". And then stop at all the places that sell wares - some good, some just ok. But authentic to be sure. They also had a stop where about 5 young Indian girls danced - kinda just ok - but, of course, they wanted to be tipped.

My photo work gets me there very early in the morning and later into dusk. If you go to the website and link above you will see what I mean. (The very first image won awards - high acclaim on the other sunrise ones as well.

It has been $5 a head to get in and they now collect before you even get to the hotel they built a few years ago. But we could use that for both morning and afternoon shoots on the same day.

Adventure mention Valley of the Gods. This is north of Monument Valley a few miles. Well worth the trip!! And good road. Do not recommend the Moki Dugway (Hwy 261) going north from the west end of Valley of the Gods if you are not fearless mountain driver - and NOT, REPEAT NOT, for RV's. But beautiful.

Enjoy this wonderful area! Be safe.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

ss573
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I took the full day tour while staying at Gouldings. We both enjoyed it very much.....especially the "cowboy coffee" at lunch. There is nothing fancy about the tour "vehicle" it's a large pickup truck with seats in the bed for folks to ride in but still, worth the trip.

Just outside Kayenta, there is another park with a short trail to view additional cliff dwellings as well as other exhibits. I was surprised how cool it was inside the Hogan there.

I especially liked the code talkers exhibit in Kayenta but I wish it had a more respectful home than the local MickeyDs :R

Overall, Monument Valley is a humbling, impressive site !!
2015 Thor Pilazzo 33.2
2017 Jeep Cherokee Toad

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Gouldings 3 years ago, loved it. The entire experience there was great. We did take the tour, it was very informative and they do take you places you can't go on your own. That being said we both thought it was well worth the extra money, it will be a little dusty but that's part of the adventure!

I hope we can get back there, it's an awesome place! Enjoy.

Dan

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
The guided tours from Gouldings take you to places you won't see on the 13 mile drive. Yes it's dusty, especially if the wind is blowing. Put your camera in a zip lock bag, bring some water and go on a tour! You will love it.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand