cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Must see in KC?

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
We have the pleasure of taking my elderly FIL, along with BIL and his family, to his old stomping grounds around Kansas City later this summer. Had a similar pleasure several years ago, after which I told DW "never again", but I guess I wasn't serious. Anyway, I am looking forward to some bbq. What would you suggest dw and I don't miss, assuming we have any time to pursue our interests? We like history, architecture, interesting shops, etc. I'm sure I can find some well known sites, but anyone have any hidden gems? Thanks for your help!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
12 REPLIES 12

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
A second for Rosedale BBQ, the sauce is the best in town and is the old style hole in the wall BBQ. Also the WW1 museum is a must!

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
If FIL is a sports fan (CHIEFS), a display just opened up at the Union Station downtown that is being put on in conjunction with the NFL Hall of Fame that includes lots of Chiefs memorabilia that have not been on public display for years, if ever. The display runs all summer, until early Sept. I think.
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the suggestions. Lots of interesting ideas. Now I'm convinced we won't have enough time! Thanks again; please feel free to post more!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
Nelson Atkins Museum, Truman Home, Union Station,WWI/liberty memorial, Thomas Hart Benton Home are the bigger names that come to mind. BBQ? Google Kansas City BBQ and find what interests you. Rosedale BBQ has been around for a long time as have many other older less commercial BBQ joints. The more commercial are Arthur Bryants, Gates & Sons, Smoke Stack etc. Often times it's the hole-in-the-wall places that have the best BBQ.

However, you do need to be aware of your surroundings for security reasons. Like any other city, KC does have crime. I live near the metro area and used to live near the Plaza. Many people like to "stroll" through the Plaza. While it is a lovely area still...it is not like the old Country Club Plaza. It's more "hip" and "modern". It may or may not appeal to your FIL. Brookside is a nice little walkable area with a few restaurants just for a change of pace.

A drive through the Ward Parkway/Mission Hills area is interesting just to see the architecture of the homes. A stroll through Loose Park is pleasant.

Westport is another old area, but it is tightly packed with businesses and traffic can be nerve wracking during rush hours and at lunch.

You can be as laid back as you want...or frenetically busy.

cts

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
When we were there last summer we really enjoyed the Harry Truman museum and home. It was hard to believe that when his presidency was over he would walk around town without security.
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Tour the Harley assembly plant?
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Joe's Kansas City BBQ (formerly Oklahoma Joe's) is some of the best and most famous in the area. It's actually in KC, KS just a little SW of downtown KC, MO. It's amazing how many people come through this place in a short amount of time, even 3:00 in the afternoon!
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
The Great Arabia riverboat museum is a place I would suggest. At least that's what I think the name is, at least Great Arabia is in the name. It's in downtown KC and very easy to get to. We went there about a year and a half ago with a friend and found it to be interesting. The history is more interesting than the displays but it's worth the time to see it.
John A. Lichty

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
The WW I museum is great stop for military history buffs. Oak Grove and Greenwood (MO) has several antique stores if you are into that. The Harry S. Truman home and a few older historical sites as well as the Independence Temple in Independence are some interesting sites.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
The National WW1 Museum near the old KCMO Union Station is excellent. I spent the better part of a morning there. I was staying at the Westin Crown Center while attending my son's national Skills USA competition in June, 2008. During slow times I'd walk that vicinity and discovered beautiful, old, tree-lined neighborhoods where I discovered artist Thomas Hart Benton's home and studio. That was an awesome find. You could probably google it and find his house and that neighborhood. I also visited the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. If you're not into art all of the places I found are worth visiting for the architecture.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Every BBQ joint in the city. In between, rest. Have a great time.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g44535-Activities-Kansas_City_Missouri.html

this might help. We use it a lot in our travels.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi