cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Myrtle Beach

HydrogenCyanide
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Niagara Falls, Canada and are looking to plan a week long trip to Myrtle Beach in July.

We have two boys. 9 and 7 years old. I have read a lot about the options in Myrtle Beach but cannot decide where to book.

I know for sure that I want Resort Style. For reference last year we went to Lake George and stayed at Lake George RV park. We loved it. The prior year we went to Ocean City, MD and stayed at Castaways but left thinking there was not enough to do there and that we should have stayed at Frontier Town.

This is our longest trip so far so we really want to make it memorable. I think I've narrowed to the big 3.

Based on our past trips and what we like which would you recommend and why?

Ocean Lakes?
Myrtle Beach Travel Park?
Pirateland?

I am open to other options as well but need full hookups and lots to do for the boys.

We will be in 29ft travel trailer.

Thanks
59 REPLIES 59

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
Bendder wrote:
down 81 then cut across Lynchburg and Greensboro coming out just north of Florence crossing over 95 and straight into MB

If you are coming down I-81 and getting off at the Roanoke, VA exit(I-581) you can take 220 all the way to Rockingham, jump on 74 and then 38 to Bennettsville, 501 to 544 to 17 North. We go this way each trip from the Roanoke area.

Bendder
Explorer
Explorer
We are traveling down also and will be staying at Piratland last week of July and taking our time on the way back up. We are joining group that has gone down on seveal ocasions with kids and they book at Piratland every yearso we thought what the heck. It would be 17hrs for us from just outside Ottawa but we are going to leave late after work and dive till 11pm or so straight down 81 then cut across Lynchburg and Greensboro coming out just north of Florence crossing over 95 and straight into MB We will stop when tired most likly just a rest area along the way.On the way back up we were thinking Kitty Hawk, NYC, and Lake Gearge but no firm plans (we have a week to get back)
Mark

2011 F150 SCrew Ecoboost max tow max payload
2013 Cougar High Country 329TSB

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
Ocean Lakes hands down with kids. Tons of things to do. The sites are the BEST and I mean the BEST of the 3 you mention. For those who like to camp on sand that is fine. I prefer concrete pads. You can only get this at OL. Some of the others may have a few but OL has over 600 concrete pads and we just returned from a week over the holidays and they had poured more. The cruise at night is fun. We walk to Lakewood from OL each year and you are packed in bumper to bumper with awnings facing away from the beach.:? I would never stay there if you paid me. Drove through Pirate Land last summer. Did not like the feel or look of it at all. I did really like their pool though but that would not sway me to PL over OL for a second. Good luck and enjoy.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We would highly recommend Ocean Lakes. Paved pads (most of them), and more up to date. We have stayed at Lakedwood and it would be our 2nd choice. Never stayed at Pirateland. We've seen it from Lakewood and we didn't care for it.

We like the golf carts and they are a lot of fun. Your kids will enjoy the nightly golf cart parade. We like them so much that we bought an old rental from Ocean Lakes. We jacked it up and put bigger wheels and tires.

Youtube video on Ocean Lakes
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Myrtle Beach Travel Park-no golf carts, two pools, lazy river, restaurant on-site (excellent breakfast), lots of activities, fantastic staff, exceptionally clean and great access to all the fun stuff.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

sremsing
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend Lakewood. My daughter and her family stayed there for two weeks this past summer (we camped elsewhere). You never even have to leave the park for entertainment. Very close to beach also within the park. Very family orientated.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD quad cab, Vortec 6000
Prodigy
2011 Rockwood 2604
wife and one fur buddy.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Myrtle Beach Travel Park is our choice place to stay; we're here now thru the winter.

We used to spent 2-4 weeks in the summer here; close to restaurants, shopping and a ton of activities for all ages in the campground.

One thing though, if you plan on being at one of the big parks in the summer, you really need to make reservations asap.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
MY OPINION ---- OL is the best choice for a first timer to MB with kids of your age group. It has EVERYTHING you could want and is virtually a self contained small city. Book early and try for a site as close to the beach as possible. You won't be disappointed.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well here's one vote for "None of the above". I've seen lots of kids in the age group having great times at MB state park and Huntington Beach state park. The latter with limited full hookups though. They are great places to camp, wonderful beaches, nature trails, spaces have good separation, and all the shopping and amusements are not too far away. Many sites provide good shade to help keep things cool in the hot July weather. Bring their bikes and they can get plenty of exercise.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed at Pireateland. we loved it and the kids loved it. we did a walk through of OL, sites too close together!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
Been to MB several times and prefer Lakewood. Going end of Feb for 2 weeks for golf. Agree very busy but found them to enforce the cart rules better then OL where I was hit by a 9 year old driving at night and OL cared less

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
You'll find what you're after at any of the three you listed, plus Lakewood.

It might help to check out the location of things you're interested in seeing/doing (if any) outside of the campground. There's a lot of room between the big three campgrounds in the south and Myrtle Beach Travel Park to the north. I'd probably go with one that's closer to most of the things you're interested in.

We prefer MBTP because it's closer to the things we like to do, it's a bit calmer and most definitely because of the lack of golf carts.

Also, it's getting very late to be making reservations at any of the campgrounds in MB for this summer. They all generally start booking up about a year in advance. So your choices may be limited by availability.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

FC
Explorer
Explorer
Which route south do you plan on taking.We went down using two different routes and each was different. On our first trip we had a second unit following us, while on the second we had 10 units with us. Myrtle Beach is one of our favorite places to visit.
You will enjoy the visit.
Jm2cw
2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Vice President Operations Family Campers & RVers
www.fcrv.org

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I consider the big 3 Pirate land, Lakewood and Ocean Lakes.
I consider MB travel park is a slight bit calmer than the other 3.
For action, beach front camping all are good choices. If anything there can be a bit too much action/crowds during the peak summer months.
I agree Frontiertowne is much more kid friendly than Castaways. Castaways is a bit more upscale and adult oriented.
If you want to stay within the excitement/Action. The choices mentioned above are all good.
If you want a little more peace,quiet and relaxation consider. Cypress Camping Resort or Briarcliffe RV Resort. MB also has 2 nice state parks as well.
MB is a camping Mecca with lots of options,but book soon it fills up fast
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

justaboutretire
Explorer
Explorer
All three would be good to stay at. You could add Lakewood to the list which is close to ocean lakes.. Everyone has their favorite place. Only difference is myrtle beach travel park does not allow golf carts. The other three do and they are everywhere. Really have to watch while walking and driving. Biggest problem that I have with myrtle beach during the summer is TRAFFIC. Give yourself plenty of time if you drive any where.
Bill & Diane
3 Boys, 1 dog
1DIL, 3 Granddaughters
2002 Excursion Limited\w 7.3 PSD
2003 Citation 33M TT