cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need a guide for San Antonio TX

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are planning to be in striking range of San Antonio. DW wants to see the River Walk and some other things. We travel in a small A and all I can find out is that I don't want to try to park it in town.

Is there a campground in easy distance to a VIA route?
or
Should I plan to rent a car?

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.
15 REPLIES 15

Major_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
There is a book with a self-guided tour called "The Alamo Story and Battlefield Tour" by Dean Kirkpatrick. It may be of some help. As a history teacher in San Antonio. I an excited that the state has finally taken charge of the Alamo and will be restoring the Alamo and building a museum befitting its importance. This has been a long time coming.
2017 Thor Compass 23TR last RV
MV-1 Mobility ventures wheelchair van
DH+DW 36+ years
Millie the fawn brindle greyhound

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
I live in SA and still enjoy the Missions that include the Alamo. The National Park center at Mission San Jose is a must see. San Jose is very close to Traveler's World RV Park. Riverside Golf Course is next door to the RV park--all SA Municipal Golf Courses are under the Alamo City Golf Trail and all are in great shape due to rains and cool weather!
If you like to see a different part of the SA River, rent a bike at the Mitchell Street parking area south of downtown and ride slowly north about 3 miles to Downtown. Lots of shade, very few hills but interesting sights with signs telling you about what was once in the area--like the Arsenal.
Send an email or PM if you have more questions.

JColeman
Explorer
Explorer
There's a great little park on the edge of San Antonio called Hidden Valley RV Park. You would need a rental car though because buses do not go to their location. We stayed there and took a tour where the guides came out ad picked us up at the campground. It was an 8 hours tour and included the Alamo and a cruise on the Riverwalk. Real nice.

JColeman
Explorer
Explorer
LowRyter wrote:
great town, I used to live there. Pretty hot this time of year. You might see if the River Walk has been cleared of any flood damage from a few weeks ago.

I think the bus is your only choice if you don't rent a car.

You might also enjoy camping in the Hill Country, Canyon Lake or the Island across from Corpus too if you have time.

FYI: The reports of Riverwalk flooding were erroneous...media photos were of the area of the RW where flood waters are diverted to on purpose to alleviate flooding.

Explorer II
Explorer II
Alamo Story: My DW niece came to visit from Indiana so we took her and her husband to the Guadalupe River in New Braunfels. We decided to drive to SA to do the river walk thing. After dining at Casa Rio, which she thought was cool DW asked now what. So I say let's walk up the street to the Alamo. Both her niece and husband perked up 'the Alamo? You mean the REAL Alamo? It's here?' We chuckled and said yea it's about a block away.

So off we went. They couldn't get there fast enough. They have heard of it but didn't know much about it. We get there standing in front of it and they were like 'this is it? All the fuss over this?' Again we chuckled. Yep, that's it.
They weren't impressed but they had fun.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
jnharley wrote:
I just saw an article that the average visit to the Alamo lasts only 8 minutes. ...............

Guess you gotta be Texan to appreciate it. Was there hour and half or so last time. Main building plus barracks building plus museum/gift shop plus the grounds was all interesting to us.

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
I just saw an article that the average visit to the Alamo lasts only 8 minutes. That is because once you see the building, there is nothing else to see. State is going to try to make it more interesting. River walk access is right across from the Alamo. If you are into shopping, the Riverwalk is great. I do not like shopping (my husband feels blessed because of this). Nice place to take a stroll though. There are numerous public (pay) parking lots nearby.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Major_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
LowRyter wrote:
great town, I used to live there. Pretty hot this time of year. You might see if the River Walk has been cleared of any flood damage from a few weeks ago.

You might also enjoy camping in the Hill Country, Canyon Lake or the Island across from Corpus too if you have time.

No need to worry about flooding on the Riverwalk. There are floodgates and tunnels that divert the water away from downtown. Travelers World and the KOA are the best choices for touring downtown, though neither is in a scenic location. As for the weather, this is the time of year we LEAVE Texas!
2017 Thor Compass 23TR last RV
MV-1 Mobility ventures wheelchair van
DH+DW 36+ years
Millie the fawn brindle greyhound

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer

John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
DW fell in love with the River Walk, the Alamo, and the entire downtown experience. After I convinced her that she needed to see it and the Alamo. We were able to stay at Ft. Sam (disabled vet), just north of the River Walk. Sorry I can't help with campground info, but be sure to take in the River Walk and enjoy. We sure did!
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
You can take the bus from Travelers World. It gets mixed reviews, but the location is great.

Looks like someone beat me posting Travelers World.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Travelers World RV Resort south of downtown is a good place to stay. If you do not have a toad, there is a city bus stop right in front that will take you directly downtown with stops near the Riverwalk. And a Mexican restaurant right across the street that is supposed to be very good (I have not tried it).

bogeygolfer
Explorer
Explorer
Alamo KOA is a good one.
2002 KZ Sportsman 2405
2005 Duramax
1996 Foretravel U295

roxy13019
Explorer
Explorer
We stay at Stoney Creek in Schertz and then rent a car to run around. It's right on 35, but sits way back off the road so it's close to stuff, but far enough away to be quiet. If you're going, don't miss Gruene! Griste Mill restaurant is awesome! Live music 7 nights a week from the dance hall! Great place to spend an evening. Also make sure you get breakfast at the Magnolia House. Pecan pancakes!!!!!!