Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New snow birds looking for recommendations

Dave_T_
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

The wife and I are looking to becoming "Snow Birds" this winter and are looking for recommendations for a two month stay to get away from the Midwest winters.

We are looking for fairly nice pad sites and understand that grass may not be an option.
We have four small dogs.
Does not need to be a resort location.
We prefer the Southwest as opposed to the Gulf Coast and Florida areas.

Any recommendation are appreciated!

Thanks!
Dave & Vicki Tedesco
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2008 Escape Hybrid
Brake Buddy
Falcon Tow Bar
12 REPLIES 12

Doin_it
Explorer
Explorer
We have spent time the past two winters in Southern California. We love Anza Borrego State Park area, northeast over the mountains from San Diego. Both times we stayed at Palm Canyon Hotel and RV Resort. Borrego Springs is a small village, but wonderful if you enjoy hiking and the outdoors. There are a few restaurants, a nice little grocery store, and fabulous collection of huge metal sculptures in open fields surrounding the little town. We also had a blast the week we spent in Oceanside, just north of San Diego. We stayed at Paradise by the Sea. Very loud trains, but worth it for us, being able to walk and ride our bikes along the ocean.
2014 35' Itasca Suncruiser
2013 Jeep Wrangler

Dave_T_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks,

I know our dogs are going to limit our choices. I am making a list of suggestions given and appreciate the information.
Dave & Vicki Tedesco
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2008 Escape Hybrid
Brake Buddy
Falcon Tow Bar

mamestra
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed in Indian Waters in Indio California we like the park because it has two dog runs and grass which is rare in a Southwestern RV Park. While we were there we saw a couple with 5 dogs, so unless their policy has changed you should be OK with four dogs.
2007 Dodge 3500 Quad 6.7 L Cummins
2012 Montana 3750FL
My mind keeps writing checks my body won't cash.

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
LynnandCarol wrote:
We recommend Rockport, TX. Google and investigate! We wintered in the Port Aransas/Rockport, TX for 5 straight winters. We loved Rockport so much that we moved here. Our RV park is full for the winter with a waiting list, and most other RV parks are filling up fast. If have questions or want more info. fell free to PM us!

Lynn and Carol

Rockport is nice. Yuma, AZ perhaps. Four dogs will be a limiting factor. As stated, most decent parks put a cap at two.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
We recommend Rockport, TX. Google and investigate! We wintered in the Port Aransas/Rockport, TX for 5 straight winters. We loved Rockport so much that we moved here. Our RV park is full for the winter with a waiting list, and most other RV parks are filling up fast. If have questions or want more info. fell free to PM us!

Lynn and Carol

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
What is it you like to do? Have you been to Arizona? RGV? Personally, I don't like the RGV even though we are technically Texans. Love the Phoenix area, but then we like access to lots of museums, good shopping/restaurants, lots of concerts all winter long, parks with lots of activities & amenities, SPRING TRAINING!, did I mention lots of shopping & restaurants? We do seeing nature during the summer.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
Your four dogs are going to be an issue getting and keeping a spot.I don't see too many people very excited about parking next to you.

her_I
Explorer
Explorer
We are very biased but would recommend the RGV in Texas. Other parts of Texas can have some very cool weather at times. Compared to other snow bird locations the RGV is cheaper and we find friendlier. You become a Winter Texan not a snow bird. We came for a couple of months and ended up buying a tin-o-iminium at Fun-n-Sun in San Benito.

canadi-anne
Explorer
Explorer
Most parks have a 2 dog maximum.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Dave T. wrote:
Hello,

........snip
We prefer the Southwest as opposed to the Gulf Coast and Florida areas.

Any recommendation are appreciated!

Thanks!

Pretty well answered your own question. Are you including South Texas in that area? If so, it is cheap, windy, and not as warm some winters as others. Last winter was cold. This winter??? It is cheap.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can browse the topics in this forum for suggestions, since that's just about all that's talked about in here.

Also, Search keyword=Arizona (or whatever state) in this forum.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For previous posts on this subject search this Forum for `snowbirds' in the RV Parks section. Basically you have two choices: Texas or Arizona. Try various searches for lots of discussion.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)