cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Next destination Maine

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
Ok folks our next destination is Maine, bride wants lobster. Any suggestions of things to do and places to stay would be appreciated. Full hookup/50 amps
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport
18 REPLIES 18

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
A note about the Bar Harbor Shuttle Bus. It is free, sponsored by LL Bean. It visits every CG on the Island, the Trenton airport, and most of the tourist attractions and villages. There is more than one route, so grab the one you need. There are also several Trolley Options where you can customize an excursion.
Bar Harbor Island Explorer

Ollie's Trolley
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of great ideas here. We have been camping in Maine for 25 years. We have stayed in Wells, Old Orchard, Freeport, Boothbay, Bar Harbor and a number of places inland as well. Love everything about it. old Orchard is our favorite area but we like them all. For us, Libby's has always looked too tight, too crazy but there is a great view. In Acadia we have stayed at Hadley's Point, liked it there. There is one campground that does not take reservations and one, maybe the same, that just takes cash. I need to know I have a place to park before I start so we only go to full hook ups with reservations.

Enjoy your trip and move around some if you can.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
Bar harbor campground is very nice. It is very well kept,has a playground and pool. And bus service into town. You can walk to udder heaven ice cream store,mainly meat barbecue restaurant,or pirates cove mini golf from your campsite.
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
X2 for sure!!!!

Crowe wrote:
Acadia/Bar Harbor are must sees. Bar Harbor KOA Oceanside has phenomenal sunsets, kayak rentals, pancake breakfasts, lobster bakes on-site and THE PIE LADY!!!!!! To get a taste of REAL Maine, get a blueberry pie from her. Trenton Lobster pound also has great lobster, as do the majority of the roadside places. Just be prepared for sticker shock on the price-it's gone up about $2/lb from last year, but the price is expected to drop again over the summer. Big Katuna is correct-you can buy lobster at the pounds for much less than a restaurant and many will steam or boil it in the store for you, but at the bakes you get all the accompaniments like steamers, corn, etc. We also like Poland Springs campground. It's a laid back place, on a lake, with good access to Portland. In Portland I'd recommend going sailing. There's lots of shops and restaurants too.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I could ask a more specific question about Acadia. Can anyone recommend a campground in acadia? Specifically one that is in a good location to enjoy the park with young kids (7yr twins). I have an uncle near booth bay and have been there many times but never Acadia. I always here great things but have no idea where to stay in the park. We love the State/national park feel but want hookups (at least electric & water). Thanks

msb1766
Explorer
Explorer
We stay at Wells Beach Resort, Wells Maine. We have stayed there 5 times. Nice quiet place, trolly will take you to beach and other locations along RT 1.
As for lobster, A few miles down the road is Captain Hooks, I think Wednesday is all you can eat lobster for $25.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I think she has retired or ... The last 2 years we have gone to Bar Harbor the sign was gone from her house and there was a different person going through the campground selling pies.

Oh, no, say it isn't so!!!!! We haven't camped since we sold the Endura (4 years or so ago). That's too bad. Her pies were FANTASTIC. Will be very difficult for anyone to match her skills.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
... THE PIE LADY!!!!!! ...
I think she has retired or ... The last 2 years we have gone to Bar Harbor the sign was gone from her house and there was a different person going through the campground selling pies.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

nhkayak
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend old orchard there are 8 or so camprounds there. Just went there last week and stayed at paridise park.. just 15 min walk to pier

Norskeman
Explorer
Explorer
Old Orchard Beach - we took day trips top look at light houses and visit the local breweries.

Acadia - enjoyed the Island and took a boat tour.
2017 Keystone Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Acadia/Bar Harbor are must sees. Bar Harbor KOA Oceanside has phenomenal sunsets, kayak rentals, pancake breakfasts, lobster bakes on-site and THE PIE LADY!!!!!! To get a taste of REAL Maine, get a blueberry pie from her. Trenton Lobster pound also has great lobster, as do the majority of the roadside places. Just be prepared for sticker shock on the price-it's gone up about $2/lb from last year, but the price is expected to drop again over the summer. Big Katuna is correct-you can buy lobster at the pounds for much less than a restaurant and many will steam or boil it in the store for you, but at the bakes you get all the accompaniments like steamers, corn, etc. We also like Poland Springs campground. It's a laid back place, on a lake, with good access to Portland. In Portland I'd recommend going sailing. There's lots of shops and restaurants too.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
We love Maine. We liked Wild Duck RV park near Scarborough. Adult only, on a Salt Marsh. We did not like Bayleys in Scarborough; 2000 kids running around unsupervised.

Liked Libbys on the ocean but pricey and tight.

Liked the KOA in Bar Harbor on the water.

You can buy live lobster at lobster pounds for a fraction of what they cost int he stores. We ate lobster almost every night.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
Don't just go into southern Maine, visit Arcadia, one of the nation's best national parks. You can easily spend a week there! Maine reminds us of Oregon - the ocean shore is great but there also some great camping areas in the interior of the state.
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are 2 on Sebago Lake; a resort and a campground. We go to the campground and it's very nice. A few seasonals, a nice beach and easy to get to and around.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox