cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nuevo Progreso 2016-2017

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Bad news for folks who like one of the few good restaurants in the little border town across the river from the Rio Grande Valley of Texas. "Garcia's", which was above the Canada store was a favorite for many but the manager said they have no plans to ever open again. A veterinary pharmacy just south of Garcia's was also closed and empty. There were a few people in Progresso yesterday, but a long way from the crowds of the past. Maybe folks are staying home until after the election? I realize it is early, but the calendar does say it is November. My park is close to one third full.
13 REPLIES 13

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt wrote:
The original 2nd floor Red Snapper is consistently good as well as the Italian place across the street from Red Snapper. Best lasagna ever.

I enjoy both of these as well as 'Angels'.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
...The prices are not that much lower than in the RGV...

I find food and drinks to be almost the same price, and when I add in the cost of fuel then they are comparable.

I do understand heading over the boarder for a change of pace (if you enjoy shabby/chic,) but I don't find my wallet being that much fatter at the end of the day then if I would have stayed on this side of the boarder and ate and drank.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
Trust me, Mexico has a health department.

That is good to know. Thanks.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
TomG2 wrote:
joebedford wrote:
Last year we went to Jessica's and had fun with a bunch of other line dancers. Then we went down the street to the next place (whose name I forget) to get lunch. I was sick as a dog the next day. First time I've had any trouble with food at Nuevo Progresso.

Other than the olives in the Margaritas, we have just about stopped eating down there. The prices are not that much lower than in the RGV and at least we have a health department up here. I always trusted Garcia's and their $8.95 lunches were pretty good. No more.

What a strange comment. Trust me, Mexico has a health department.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
The original 2nd floor Red Snapper is consistently good as well as the Italian place across the street from Red Snapper. Best lasagna ever.
pawatt

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I always have 3 Margaritas: the last 2 are to kill the germs in the first one.

We've had good meals at Arturo's.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
Last year we went to Jessica's and had fun with a bunch of other line dancers. Then we went down the street to the next place (whose name I forget) to get lunch. I was sick as a dog the next day. First time I've had any trouble with food at Nuevo Progresso.

Other than the olives in the Margaritas, we have just about stopped eating down there. The prices are not that much lower than in the RGV and at least we have a health department up here. I always trusted Garcia's and their $8.95 lunches were pretty good. No more.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Sad that it closed but there are many other good choices.
pawatt

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Maybe it will reopen when the CDN/US exchange rate gets sensible again.

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
Too bad. Been there many times, good food and service. I wonder if that will affect the Garcia's south of Brownsville.
Bill and Joey the dog

Ron___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the information Tom. That restaurant will be greatly missed.

A couple of places we always enjoy for lunch are Jessica's pharmacy on the sw corner one block west when you first cross the bridge. I had a yummy lunch plate there for $4.00 last week. Good margaritas and entertainment.
Another place we really enjoyed last season was directly south of Jessica's El Rancho. Good food and entertainment. I believe they originally had Ariba's by the school if memory serves me correctly.
Ponchos in El Disco has a great bar and entertainment.
Diego and Edith play there on Sunday afternoon. I haven't heard much about their food but it is a fun place. I saw they are also putting in an escalator to shop upstairs!!
Ron & Shirley
2005 Itasca 37B Suncruiser W24 Workhorse Chassis
To Discover New Oceans We Must Lose Sight Of The Shore

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
We postponed our departure because of a new baby coming into the family. But, I was just saying yesterday if we had to stay home late, this is the year to have done it. Weather has been wonderful this fall. That could explain the low numbers. Snowbirds don't feel the need to rush south so fast.

Seemed like last year it was very low numbers until after Christmas. Maybe that will be the new trend.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.