cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ocala Natl. Forest at Thanksgiving

7ofus
Explorer
Explorer
Our family (infants, teenagers, and us parents) are planning on Ocala National Forest this thanksgiving. Right now, we are looking at Salt Springs campground, but are open to alternative suggestions. We will be in a motorhome and are willing to dry camp or boondock if there is somewhere better to stay.

I would like to hear suggestions on campgrounds and things to do.

Thanks in advance.
21 REPLIES 21

trsky
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Alternatives are Alexander Springs and Juniper Springs. I think Salt Springs has the largest CG but I'm not sure of that. There are distributed (boondocking) sites in the forest but beware of the 'sugar sand' which can be a problem if you don't have 4WD. For the developed CG make your reservation right away, it could be too late but hopefully not. There are many private CG too but I'm not familiar with them.

As for what is there to do, most activities will center on the three big springs. Swimming, canoeing and kayaking. Alexander is popular for newbie Scuba diving and you can snorkel in all three springs. Not too far away in Ocala you can visit Silver River State Park and Silver Springs SP. The state has taken Silver Springs back from the private contractor who was running it. They have a glass bottom boat ride.

There are many other state parks, most with water: either springs or rivers within easy driving distance. The Atlantic beaches aren't that far away either. St Augustine is good for day trips too.

Alexander springs has always been our favorite.
KZ Spree 265KS
2007 Suburban 1500 4x4

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
rgstarnes wrote:
Stayed at Salt Springs and found the Camp To have too many rules and too many people enforcing them. They had a meeting with the Park Ranger while I was there and it was a lot of complaining about the Land Leasing Management company that was running the park and the camp hosts that were enforcing the rules. I was warned for having a tire touch the grass and not being on the pavement by 2".
Nothing allowed that will put a hole in the ground like a flag or tent spike.

I had heard similar complaints. I haven't been there since the new vendor took over, doesn't sound good.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

rgstarnes
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed at Salt Springs and found the Camp To have too many rules and too many people enforcing them. They had a meeting with the Park Ranger while I was there and it was a lot of complaining about the Land Leasing Management company that was running the park and the camp hosts that were enforcing the rules. I was warned for having a tire touch the grass and not being on the pavement by 2".
Nothing allowed that will put a hole in the ground like a flag or tent spike.
2013 F250 Crew cab, Grand Design Solitude 5th wheel

jayco304
Explorer
Explorer
We have been to silver spring, salt spring, and juniper spring. All are great. Juniper is really good if you want nature or to canoe.
Please visit www.cram-a-lot-inn.com to learn more about our travel adventures.

2000 F350 7.3PSD
2010 Jayco 324BHDS Travel Trailer

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Retired JSO wrote:
JoeH wrote:
Salt Springs is very nice... roomy sites and full hook up. Grocery store nearby. If you go over to the marina they have very reasonable power boat rentals. As mentioned ,Juniper Springs is worth a trip to paddle down the run... figure on 4 hours or so.

Salt Springs Recreation area, full hookup 50 amp, 40' sites. The IGA grocery was closed earlier this year. Dollar General took another Mom and Pop store.

That stinks---- we hadn't been there yet this year as we were out west. That store had pretty much everything you'd need. Probably head that way , St, Augustine for sure, in a few weeks.
Joe

7ofus
Explorer
Explorer
Salt Springs. I guess somebody cancelled.

Pics when we get back.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
7ofus wrote:
I got reservations (the last FHU site available) for most of the week. Thanks all.
Where? Be sure to post some pics!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
Salt Springs is very nice... roomy sites and full hook up. Grocery store nearby. If you go over to the marina they have very reasonable power boat rentals. As mentioned ,Juniper Springs is worth a trip to paddle down the run... figure on 4 hours or so.

Salt Springs Recreation area, full hookup 50 amp, 40' sites. The IGA grocery was closed earlier this year. Dollar General took another Mom and Pop store.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Joe

7ofus
Explorer
Explorer
I got reservations (the last FHU site available) for most of the week. Thanks all.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
We always enjoyed Salt Springs if you can get a site with full hookups at this late date. There is always a group potluck dinner in the club house during all/most holidays. As stated there is dry camping (always many sites available) down by the boat launch. Very quiet! Verizon Cell service at Salt Springs use to be at a min.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
207 black bears of the 320 limit were killed the first day, yesterday.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:
lap527 wrote:
The Bears will be less and less, Florida is having bear hunt for the first time in 20 years. It started this morning and will continue for 7 days. I read they only sold 360 or so licenses. Enjoy your camping trip.

They sold over 3000 permits which is about the bear population. They said the were stopping it at 320.

FYI Salt Springs is FHU but no cell service.

Silver River State Park is open for camping. The water park is closed until next spring.
There is cell service there.

Alexander and Juniper are no hook ups and spotty cell service.

Silver Springs SP campground is only open for walk-ups on a first ccome first serve basis.
You can't reserve it through Reserve America at this time.

they are doing renovations
Jack & Nanci

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
lap527 wrote:
The Bears will be less and less, Florida is having bear hunt for the first time in 20 years. It started this morning and will continue for 7 days. I read they only sold 360 or so licenses. Enjoy your camping trip.

They sold over 3000 permits which is about the bear population. They said the were stopping it at 320.

FYI Salt Springs is FHU but no cell service.

Silver River State Park is open for camping. The water park is closed until next spring.
There is cell service there.

Alexander and Juniper are no hook ups and spotty cell service.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.