cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Olympic Peninsula, WA - all NFS sites 21-foot limit?

nina_70
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the process of planning our summer trip to the Olympic Peninsula in WA (travelling 101 around the peninsula) and I was gutted to see that all the National Forest sites have 21-foot limit. We're 40 feet, so obviously much bigger, but I also know that sometimes the site sizes are conservative.

Anyone have experience in these campgrounds (e.g. Kalaloch, Mora, Heart O The Hills...)? Are they really 21-foot limits? How much wiggle room is there?

Any other decent, inexpensive, options along this route?
12 paws, 40-feet and the open road
http://wheelingit.us
38 REPLIES 38

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
DarthMuffin wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
voodoo101 wrote:
We spent a week in the Klahowa NFS CG with a 31 ft fiver last summer. No reservations but squatters start filling it late in the week for the weekends.

Squatters?????

I'm not familiar with the term as it relates to staffed campgrounds-?

I think he's referring to people showing up early to claim spots for other people. People will put out a camp chair or two or an empty tent, or camp at one and park their car at a second. I saw this at Sol Duc when we were there, but the rangers kept it pretty well under control.

Ah- I get it.

Thing is, my experience with the NFS staff over here is that they pretty strictly enforce the "all sites prepaid/can't hold for others/must spend at least first night in site" rules.

I s'pose there are those that bust their chops tryin' to get by that "can't hold" rule, but- if they're paying for the site and are willing to occupy it, there's nothin' much else the Rangers can do about it.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

DarthMuffin
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
voodoo101 wrote:
We spent a week in the Klahowa NFS CG with a 31 ft fiver last summer. No reservations but squatters start filling it late in the week for the weekends.

Squatters?????

I think he's referring to people showing up early to claim spots for other people. People will put out a camp chair or two or an empty tent, or camp at one and park their car at a second. I saw this at Sol Duc when we were there, but the rangers kept it pretty well under control.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
voodoo101 wrote:

Squatters?????

voodoo101
Explorer
Explorer
We spent a week in the Klahowa NFS CG with a 31 ft fiver last summer. No reservations but squatters start filling it late in the week for the weekends. Very much like the Rain Forest. The only time I had to use the gen to boost the batteries one morning. (solar usually handled it). Right off 101, about 15-20 minutes from Forks. A number of large sites.

Lincoln4
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:
A very nice option on the Oly Pen is Salt Creek Recreation Area, near Port Angeles.

No! Don't let that secret out! Oh well, too late.

I haven't camped here, but drove through it once. Very nice, and I would take my 36 footer through it. In fact I hope to go there this summer.
Tom & Jana fulltiming in the driveway. Hitting the road June 1.
Plus Roswald and Piper, The Wonder Chugs!
2008 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA
Looking for a new Toad...

My blog

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
A third factor is the turning radius with the many campsites that require backing into them. Even with our 22' length we sometimes scrape the trees with the tow mirrors. How long the space is seldom the limiting factor and in wider campsites one is often allowed to have a 20' trailer and alongside a 20' tow vehicle.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to scroller and Fransesca for taking the time to write helpful answers to my question. This is one are I want to visit especially with info you provided.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
I've been to all those with a buddy and his thirty-two footer. No problem.

Here's a tip for the HOH:

Upriver and before entering the Park gate, there are some drycamping spots right on the river itself where you'd fit, too. Wa. DNR-run...no fees/amenities, but you do need a Discover Pass- thirty bucks a year, good for day use at all State Parks, and required even for no-fee camping on other State lands. You'll get that back by saving the first two nights of fees you'd have to pay at the FS/Park campgrounds. Link to state site

scroller95969
Explorer
Explorer
tpi wrote:
Hoh, Sol Duc and the like... would those in the know attempt w/ a 24' length, 99 inch width C motorhome?

We stayed in Hoh with our 24' and could have fit in numerous site. Could have even brought our 14' cargo trailer and still fit in several sites.
Jeff & Lori
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 22B - Chevy chassis
10' Wells cargo trailer
Gracie Mae - our 9 year old Papillon

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
Hoh, Sol Duc and the like... would those in the know attempt w/ a 24' length, 99 inch width C motorhome?

nina_70
Explorer
Explorer
Cheers for all the responses folks. We snagged the very last 40-foot site at Kalaloch (for 3 days only) and will be checking out the Salt Creek Recreation Area. I really like the look of that one! I've also booked just a few nights at La Push...bleeding expensive, but I gather the beach is nice. Cheers for the info on Rudy beach too!
12 paws, 40-feet and the open road
http://wheelingit.us

DarthMuffin
Explorer
Explorer
Kalaloch has a few sites that will fit bigger rigs, but they go quickly so reserve early. I think most everything I saw there was 25-30'+, I don't think they enforce it well.

Hoh and Sol Duc are definitely 21' and under. Don't try it with a bigger one, you won't fit. Sol Duc was my favorite, and there were a few larger rigs there partially blocking the roads and making it harder for everyone. Don't be one of those people.

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
the MOST beautiful beach IMOO

I agree! I think this was taken there. There are often puffins on the rocks.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
LaPush is a sad little town on the Pacific just west of Forks, but has a RV park that is right on the water. Beach is rocky but whale watching is fun. Been there a couple of time.
Make sure you stop at Ruby Beach, It is Day use only but the MOST beautiful beach IMOO. You have to walk down to the beach but its a switchback trail so mot particularly steep.
Pacific Beach State Park is a little out of the way from 101 and right on the water. Military campground just north. Not a lot to see and do
Ocean Shore State Park is a nice campground but a long walk along a empty beach to town. Town doesn't have much.

judy_frank
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on Salt Creek. Also look at Elwah Campground in the Olympic National Park..Just past Port Angeles. We camp there frequently in our 30' 5th wheel.
Judy and Frank and Missy (purr-person)
2001 Ford F-250 4X4 Powerstroke 7.3L Extended Cab Long Bed
Crossroads Cruiser 28RL double slide 5th wheel