cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oregon Coast Mid to Late October

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip to the Oregon Coast this October and would like to stay at their state parks. I just visited the web site for Cape Lookout and see that they are filled up. Since its fall, and weather is iffy, I would rather not stick to reservations or a schedule. Do you think its possible to find places. We have a van, so will fit into any space available.
11 REPLIES 11

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:
Hmm, I just checked picking three day stay for random days in Oct. There was openings on all. On the date calendar are you sure you got October 2016? You might advanced to 2017.

The two I was interested in was Cape Lookout (full on the 17 - 20) and Devils Lake only had two open spaces. The one thing in our favor is that we have a van so we can fit into the tiniest of spots.

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
There are a number of Oregon State Parks which are first come first serve, including some of the coast also. http://oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=reserve.dsp_firstcome

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the Oregon SP close some of their loops in the off season, but most are open and take reservations year round. There are some that do fill up way in advance. I think you'll be fine. Also, check out some of the county parks, which can be equally as nice as the state parks.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
We've done the Oregon Coast in state parks three times in October and November - 2009, 2013, 2014 parks were half-full or less during the week, and little more on weekends. We never had a problem getting a site with no reservation.

Summertime, the parks fill regularly - other than that, should be no issue.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm, I just checked picking three day stay for random days in Oct. There was openings on all. On the date calendar are you sure you got October 2016? You might advanced to 2017.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
be sure to make reservations since they do not allow over night parking any where I know of on the Oregon coast out side of a camp ground

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
cruiserjs wrote:
I 'believe" that OR S.Ps stop taking reservations after the summer season. Locals correct me if I am in error.
Also - start of the whale migration southward so coastal sites do get prettry busy.

No, they don't stop taking reservations in the fall.
They take them year-round.
We've camped in Oregon SP campgrounds in all 4 seasons and have made reservations.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
cruiserjs wrote:
I 'believe" that OR S.Ps stop taking reservations after the summer season. Locals correct me if I am in error.
Also - start of the whale migration southward so coastal sites do get pretty busy.

They take reservations for 365 Days of the year - camped there in the winter for 2 winters
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I see that some are nearly empty. I'll wing it

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
You shouldn't have any problem if you can't get into a star park you will be able to find something.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

cruiserjs
Explorer
Explorer
Also - start of the whale migration southward so coastal sites do get pretty busy.
Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse