cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Park Reviews and Trip Advisor

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at a campground this weekend and had looked at both, RV Park Reviews and Trip Advisor. There seemed to be a little variation between the two. RVPR (75 reviews) gave the park a 3.5 out of 5 starts and Trip Advisor (34 reviews) gave a 4 out 5. In our experience, RVPR was better rated for what we actually witnessed. We would of given it probably 2.5-3 stars.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
20 REPLIES 20

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
I start with RVPR and once I've narrowed down my choices I come here to solicit opinions. Did the same thing with the old Trailer Life CG Directory.

Clean - Quiet - Good People In Charge.

Those are my three main criteria when evaluating a CG, and I do post on RVPR as well as here. Whatever we get beyond that I consider a bonus.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Above point is well made. I rate places based on how well they do in regards to what they say they have. Probably in most cases a Ma and Pa basics case will get a much higher score from me than a "Resort" (have stayed at VERY FEW of the latter - only out of necessity of location, etc!)
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
You have to read between the lines - and read how they review other parks. There was one who would give a park a 1 or a 10 - if they had wi-fi, they got a 10. If they didn't have wi-fi, they got a 1. They gave a 1 to a state park because it didn't have wi-fi. If someone advertised wi-fi that didn't work well, I could see giving them a low mark.
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Our rating of a campground was more in line what the overall rating on Tripadvisor over RVPR was ...

But again, just opinions. Many people don't mind parking on unlevel grass/dirt or junk infested permanent sites with flat tires on the RV.... But our opinion is different.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
The number of stars is meaningless. Some posters don't get them right. I've seen one star reviews that rave about how great a place is. I also look for other reviews by some posters. Sometimes they're just complainers. Never happy with anything.

You saying they don't get them right is your opinion....

I do agree that when I read the reviews I take with a grain of salt on certain things. Also it could be an unusual occurrence.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Opinions are like....well, everyone knows. Everyone has one.

The thing is, check the stats of the opinion givers. Have they posted many times, or only a few times & only if there is something to grumble about? Do they substantiate consistently why points are given or taken away?

RVPR & Trip Advisor seem to be the most reliable. Both are only as good as the people who take the time to post an opinion.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
Reviews are opinions - not factual.

Everybody's reviews of the same park would be different.

The numbers are pretty meaningless to me - I read what is written. I'm more concerned about avoiding parks where folks have bad experiences with management, maintenance isn't done, etc.

I also only consider reviews within the past year worth my effort.

Double ditto. I'll add that we do use Trip Advisor and Allstays.com reviews looking for comments in the past year about management and maintenance. Between the two we've been able to choose wisely and find other attractions/restaurants near the cg as well.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We mostly stay at Federal or state campgrounds. You don;t have to worry about those campgrounds posting bogus reviews.I have found most of the reviews for public campgrounds to be right on.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
As most on here know, we have been part time RVing for over 18 years. Ever since they became available I have used two places for information I can trust ... RV Park Reviews and this Forum. I have looked at Trip Advisor and, eh, just not so sure.

RVPR I do not go back more than two years and then throw out the high and low.

If I can't decide between two places I call them for "info" and what I am mainly doing is seeing how they respond on the phone.....people skills tell a lot.

Works for me and we have been to 182 different RV parks now in the 11 western states and 2 western provinces.

God bless - be safe.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Limit4
Explorer
Explorer
What I like about this site is you can ask a Question about a persons review of a campground. Many even welcome private messages. I always start here.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
The number of stars is meaningless. Some posters don't get them right. I've seen one star reviews that rave about how great a place is. I also look for other reviews by some posters. Sometimes they're just complainers. Never happy with anything.

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with 'campincarters'. The most valuable information is what is written about the park, not the stars. Some people will only give five stars to a place with full hookups, whereas I have given five stars to campgrounds with NO hookups. Just as we camp for different reasons, our ratings are based on different criteria.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
I find far more "suspicious" reviews on Trip Advisor than I do on RVPark Reviews.

Not sure how much can be done to prevent bogus reviews by interested parties, but RV Park Reviews does at least try to prevent them. Some of those engaging in the practice only have a few reviews, so you can often spot them. I haven't used Trip Advisor, but I've heard it said that attempts to game their rating system are more frequent.
2013 RT 190-Popular

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't trust Trip Advisor. There are obvious owners who post on their own parks.

We used RV Parks Review because I think they monitor this practice better.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel