cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

rv parks near Carlsbad cavern

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
Like to find a pull through lot as I will be driving 37 ft with motorcycle trailer.
Traveling to cal col Idaho WY south dakota Oregon with 34 ft class A pulling 7 by 12 enclosed trailer with my trike.
19 REPLIES 19

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I've said this before and will say again:

We decided to stay in the town of Carlsbad. The RV park was not the greatest, but it was by far the most convenient and we did not find it that bad at all. We spent our time at the Caverns. Now if you are staying over for a week that would make a difference. But for us, the overnight was better right in the town of Carlsbad. And I would go right back there again.

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
We usually stay at the Dog Canyon campground in Guadalupe NP but that's a good ways out on a two lane road so probably not of interest to you for camping. However, it would be an awesome ride on the trike and Sitting Bull Falls in Lincoln NF is out that way and worth a stop.

Recommend the Lower Cave tour in the Caverns (reservations suggested) and we enjoyed the Living Desert Zoo and Gardens State Park. We've also stayed at Brantley Lake SP when we wanted hookups and thought it was better than any of the commercial CG's in the area.

X-OEM
Explorer
Explorer
Bud's Place. Newer park, still some construction. Spacious pull through's. A little dusty, but you probably will not find otherwise in Carlsbad. Close enough to town, 30 minutes to the Caverns. Price was OK - do not remember exact amount. Fuel close by. Would stay again if in the area.

The KOA was pretty far north of town making for a long dinner commute and a longer trip to the Caverns.

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from class A forum
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed at the Escapees park just north of Carlsbad. Nice no frills park with a great price for a monthly rate, but I don't think they had pull thru sites. As I remember, bout an hour and a half to the caverns. Road I took to the caverns seemed like it would have been nice for a two wheel ride.

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to stay near a four lane highway and see the sites on my trike
Traveling to cal col Idaho WY south dakota Oregon with 34 ft class A pulling 7 by 12 enclosed trailer with my trike.

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to stay near a four lane highway and see the sites on my trike

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info

SleepyBadger
Explorer
Explorer
We are staying at the KOA this summer. If the driving works out we are stopping at Carlsbad then ending the night at the KOA. We are headed to 4 Corners and Monument Valley after seeing Carlsbad.
Sleeping our way across the US

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
We headed there in a couple weeks, and based on the research I did we're staying at the KOA north of town. I know it's a ways away, but an hour or so each way seems tolerable for a one-day visit. YMMV.
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
We overnighted at Guadalupe Mountains National Park on the way to Carlsbad on Route 180. There is a steep climb getting to Guadalupe NP. but the drive after that was not bad and not that far. No hookups there.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stay at Brantley Lake State Park
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed at Whites City RV Park for 3 days 5 years ago. Your rig will fit.
Then is was a no frills park and it is as close as you will get to the caverns. Years ago it had fallen into disrepair and the owner was there daily making repairs/improvements so I don't know how they have progressed since staying there. Full hookups, showers, internet, and laundry worked fine. The Walmart in Carlsbad allows overnight parking in a pinch but its a ways away. Buy your supplies before leaving Carlsbad if you are coming from the north.

Chum lee

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
rickwellman wrote:
Like to find a pull through lot as I will be driving 37 ft with motorcycle trailer.

avoid the White City RV park and motel!! filthy place. the last, and only, time we were there they allowed horses to roam freely and horses being horses do what all of God's creatures do...and they did it everywhere. and i mean everywhere. Brantley Lake state park is exquisite but they may not have many, or any, pull thrus.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle