cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carlsbad Caverns area RV parking

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good Morning! Carlsbad Caverns might be a stop in the next few months, and I'm asking for ideas on where to stay in the area. Google Earth views are limited and we don't know anyone that has been there in several years. Would staying in Whites City be an option?
Thanks.....
15 REPLIES 15

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Reading a post about Carlsbad on a different forum the poster said there is a waiting list to get in better Carlsbad area RV parks due to the oil boom.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at Brantley Lake State Park.

If you're going to be around Tucson I highly recommend that you take the tour of Kartchner Caverns in Benson, AZ not far from I-10. It's a state park and the campground is great, too; along with hiking trails. Kartchner is a living cave meaning it's still growing so there's a lot of awesome dripping sounds. The lighting is gorgeous and it's a well-run tour. We gave them! ๐Ÿ™‚ Carlsbad is not growing.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did not know about the bats migration.
Thanks for the info about the KOA, Whites City, and the other options. I'm thinking about a trip in the first quarter of 2019, somewhere that direction, Tucson, and California. I might have to cash in my beer cans for gas money-------

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would not be taking trailer to Caverns. TV, yes.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
We visited Carlsbad Caverns this last July. We stayed at The Carlsbad KOA. Nice desert park, the folks that work there are great, nice pool and they serve a great BBQ dinner too. Very few long term RV's there. It's about a 30 minute drive from the campground to the Caverns. Plenty of parking at the Caverns. They have a kennel service too. Very clean and air conditioned. Came in handy. Don't forget to visit Sitting Bull Falls while you are there!!!
We were sitting in our RV at the campsite and a big dust storm kicked up. Lasted about 15 minutes. Being from the east coast and never seeing anything like that, except on TV, it was pretty cool.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
The bats migrate. They are there normally May-October. That is one of the great items about Carlsbad for us. Very unique!Bats

Exactly. We were there in early November and missed the bats. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Nonetheless, it is an awesome place where we will return. As someone stated, the area has a lot of oil field workers. We were not camping, and the hotel was probably 60% oil field workers. No issue there, just an observation.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The bats migrate. They are there normally May-October. That is one of the great items about Carlsbad for us. Very unique!Bats

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
jfkmk, I'm not certain about the comment about the bats. Explain??

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Yes, White City is a good choice. Saves a lot of driving after the bats come out in the evening.
We dry camped in a parking area across from the RV park.

They wonโ€™t be seeing bats if theyโ€™re going in the next few months.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
md_procouple wrote:
We stayed at the KOA while in Carlsbad a few years ago, Staff was great as well as the C/G itself. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!

Same here. But it was 4 yrs ago. But at the time it was the only one in the area with good reviews. The one at White City was most convenient but had poor reviews. Things may have changed.

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned before, there is a ton of activity there due to oil field workers.

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the KOA while in Carlsbad a few years ago, Staff was great as well as the C/G itself. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
Brantley Lake State Park is about twenty miles and a half hour's drive from the Caverns Visitor Center. It has hookups with modern and clean restrooms. I'd also recommend a stop at the Living Desert Zoo and Museum State Park while in the area.

Our favorite camping spot in that area is Dog Canyon campground in Guadalupe Mountain NP. The facilities aren't much, just a gravel lot backing up to a horse corral, but the canyon is beautiful and we usually have the place to ourselves other than maybe a few tent campers. Its about an hour from the Caverns. If interested, drop me a PM and I can give more specifics.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good luck. Most RV sites in eastern New Mexico and west Texas are taken up by oil and gas industry workers. I am a native New Mexican and we wanted to take the grandkids to see the caverns this past spring. No RV sites within 100 miles and the only hotel rooms within that radius were going for $300 - $400 a night! All the businesses were very up-front with us - with the new pipeline construction and restarts on drilling, the oil companies will pay the prices and the workers are happy to have a place to stay. Dry camping someplace you won't get a knock on the door at 2:00 AM may be your only choice.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015