cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sales Pitch and Legitimate Give-A-Way, But There's a Catch!

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Two weekends ago, my wife and I went to an RV show that was put on by a dealer from the Buffalo NY area. There were many pamphlets and displays from area campgrounds with free sign ups to win prizes. "Enter to win $10,000", "Enter to win a $1,000 gas card", "Enter to win a new Truck" etc. We filled out forms for a few of the give-a-ways and then enjoyed the show. This week, we have had calls from two different campgrounds saying that we won a $50 gift card for service or items at the RV dealership who put on the show and were "semi-finalists" for the big prize. All we had to do is set up an appointment and either sit through a 90 minute presentation about the one campground or take a tour of the other campground. They both made a point of saying that this wasn't a time share deal, we were under no obligation to buy anything, blah blah blah and we could leave after the tour/presentation and take the $50 gift card. We aren't going to either of the campgrounds mainly because it would cost us nearly $50 in gas just to get to them and back home. At the one campground, the woman said if you don't want to tour the campground in the next couple of weeks, we can give you a free weekend stay and give you a tour then. I asked if we could come and look at the campground and then stay the weekend with the tour at another time and the answer was no. Do a lot of campgrounds use this tactic to entice campers to buy a seasonal or annual membership? We are new to this lifestyle and want to enjoy ourselves and unwind. Not feel pressured by campground owners to buy something.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
20 REPLIES 20

Explorer
Explorer
Some of these presentation pitches can become very uncomfortable and difficult to get up and walk out of. Don't bother going. There is nothing to gain. Any gift or prize will not be worth getting.

Belonging to some of the campground chains email lists will get you free nights also but they are usually at a time when no one is interested in traveling. No one gives away something for nothing if the something is worth having.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, don't bother spending $50 in gas to get a $50 gas card. In FL,AZ, or any other big tourist area, it can be very lucritive to go and collect the cash offered on these condo/timeshare presentations as long as you can say no to them. DO NOT EVER BUY INTO THESE THINGS.

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
This form of sales trickery at RV shows is so old it has whiskers on it. I can't believe people fall for this trick. Don't do it.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

kmbernstein
Explorer
Explorer
When we were in Branson, hubby signed us up for a sales pitch for $100 cash. Needless to say, I was not amused. Went to the presentation, though, as he would not believe me that it was a high pressure sales pitch. He thought was just a presentation about campgrounds. Turned out to be a time share for Wyndham type resorts. I sat at a table in back with hubby waiting for the sales pitch to end. I was answering a text from our kids when the presenter made a comment about the rude lady in the back tables. I made a comment that I was there to make sure that the only reason I was there was to make sure that hubby only came away with $100, and if he would focus on getting thru his presentation, I could get out of there and back to my vacation trip. He did just that, and the salesman assigned to us sat down at the table and began the high pressure. Wanted to know about our credit cards, limits, etc. Told him that the only card was in my purse, that it would stay there, and the limit was our business, as were the answers to all the other questions he was trained to ask us, not his. I told him further that we would not answer anything else, that we wanted our money and he could get onto another rube to see if they would buy, because we certainly would not be buying or signing anything. He was taken aback, signed our voucher and went on his way. Hubby listened to me after that, and he used the money to take me out to dinner. ??
Me, 1 Great hubby (Tim), Cole the Standard Poodle,
Magic the tiny Bengal Cat
2012 Skyline Koala 21CS
2007 Ford Explorer

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
If I really wanted the $50 gift card to the dealership that put on the show, I would do exactly like you said beemer but it would cost me nearly that much just to get to the dealership and back home. It wouldn't be worth it.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:

...All we had to do is set up an appointment and either sit through a 90 minute presentation about the one campground or take a tour of the other campground....

I think you learned a lesson, but if you do want the free gift here is what you can do.

Go to the sales office, they will sign you up and assign a sales person.

Keep in mind that the sales person gets paid commission, if you don't buy, they don't get paid.

As soon as you hook up with the sales person tell them this; "I am here for the free gift, I have no money and my credit rating is in the toilet. I will not be buying anything. You have a choice, you can waste two hours of your time on me, or you can give me the gift and move on to someone that may make a purchase".

Odds are they will give you the gift and move on to better prospects. Do not be concerned about hurting their feelings. They are NOT YOUR FRIEND. They have one goal and that is to fleece you. You are actually doing them a favor by not wasting their time.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

rogerramjet442
Explorer
Explorer
DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT !
Dodge RAM 2500 SB Quad4x4 2006 5.9 cummins
Jayco Designer 291 RLST
"Katie" the carianPoo

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
About 5 years ago my wife and I sat through a sales pitch at a hotel/time share place in Orlando. I believe it was a Wyndham Resort property. Actually it was a very nice place, although a very expensive proposition. The idea was you bought part of a particular unit, along with God only knows how many other people, and could use that unit for a week or two a year, and supposedly were able to swap to get a week or two at other locations around the world.
We never bought anything but did get two free nights at an Orlando hotel, which worked out nicely, since we had planned to go up there anyway and visit our youngest, who was going to school in Orlando at the time.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
You made your first mistake when you voluntarily filed out all the forms. Stay home and don't make the second mistake. There are always people out there trying to separate you from your money. Buyer beware!

Ray

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
If you put down a phone number, put down a disposable one or a Google Voice number, or else your phone will be ringing off the hook forever after. The Do Not Call Act won't apply because as soon as you hand them a phone number, they now have a business relationship with you for two years. Same with anyone they sell their mailing list to, so expect calls from other timeshare places, and even unscrupulous companies with boiler rooms that are offshore and thus immune to the DNC law.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad we decided not to go to either of the campgrounds. The $50 gift card each say we "won", aren't even a good prize. If you have to use it at a specific RV dealer where we didn't buy our camper, I'm betting the prices would be inflated and we would get next to nothing. Not to mention if we used them for service of any kind we would wait forever while they serviced their own customers first. Most dealers do this and I have no problem with that at all but making the point that the wait would be forever to use the gift cards.

Ron3rd
Explorer III
Explorer III
I never fill those things out; I'm on enough lists.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Twice we got roped into sitting through time share presentations in return for a prize. Once it was $50 cash, the other its was for a free weekend in the Wisconsin Dells which included motel and free food.

The aggravation and high pressure sales pitches weren't worth the prize. On the pitch in the Dells, the guy insulted us by dissing our RV vacations as inferior.

Never again.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Filling out 'sweepstakes' coupons at ANY show( RV, CAR, Cooking Wares, etc.) will get you nothing BUT sales presentations.

More to come.

Sweepstakes are a means of getting leads for their rolodex.

No such thing as a free lunch as someone reminds us.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus