cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Silver City, Idaho

RVJimofOregon
Explorer
Explorer
Any info on Silver CIty, ID and is it worth to visit. Looks interesting but kind of out of the way. We are thinking about staying in Jordan Valley, OR and driving over.
RV Jim
Jim & Joyce
Central Oregon Coast

26 foot 2004 Komfort travel trailer
2014 Platinum Tundra pickup

Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents,โ€œIt was loaned to you by your childrenโ€
Indian proverb
10 REPLIES 10

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
We were there last June in our TC (see signature for details). We actually encountered a Honda Prelude on our way there. I don't know if they made it all the way to Silver City. I seriously doubt if they did make it without any damage to under-carriage. It is dirt/gravel all the way with a few blind curves. The road worsens as you approach the town. The main thing to watch for are ORVs. It is a mecca for them. They were well-behaved as it is posted, if I remember correctly, to obey all off-road rules as to not endanger their access. A lot of them camp at pull outs along the road with trucks and ORV hauler trailers and some stay overnight at the hotel.

We came in from the Idaho side. We asked a local if we should exit via the Oregon side and he recommended going out the way we came in. He was a Viet Nam vet and had lived there for 30+ years. He was on his way to eat at the hotel.

Nice vistas on the way and you pass through some forest areas. The town's population have taken care of the buildings/homes where they live and you can walk around the dirt streets.

There is a camping area by a creek just outside of town that we fit in nicely. I think a bigger rig could make it in and turn around and/or pull through okay. It would be kinda tight for a real long rig.

It was one of the highlights of our 3 week trip in May/June of this year.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

RVJimofOregon
Explorer
Explorer
jolooote wrote:
We did that dirt road years ago to save a few miles ... LOL. Don't do it. Take the long way around on the hyways. The town is a bit interesting. Some people still live there.

We will be staying at Jordan valley and driving over (no trailer). What road do you go on that is paved. Thanks for you input.
RV Jim
Jim & Joyce
Central Oregon Coast

26 foot 2004 Komfort travel trailer
2014 Platinum Tundra pickup

Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents,โ€œIt was loaned to you by your childrenโ€
Indian proverb

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
We did that dirt road years ago to save a few miles ... LOL. Don't do it. Take the long way around on the hyways. The town is a bit interesting. Some people still live there.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

caver
Nomad
Nomad
About 7 miles in from the east is a good place to park if you want to drop off your trailer. I'm thinkig it might even be paved to that point. I like old ghost towns but wasn't impressed with this semi-ghost one.

old_idaho_guy
Explorer
Explorer
The east side route from highway 78 is drivable in a SUV or truck from June until the snow starts falling. We like to go up from the east side and go down the west side and come back in through Marsing. Make it an all day affair and bring lunch, water , and a camera. Enjoy!

dicknellen
Explorer II
Explorer II
After seeing your pictures Old Idaho Guy, next time I visit my son in Melba I would like to go up there. What route if best to take in my AWD CRV? Dick

old_idaho_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some pictures from June 2012 Silver City Idaho

old_idaho_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Silver City is fun to visit if you are into ghost towns. There is a resteraunt and general store and some summer residents. It is a neat drive from the Oregon side in a truck or SUV. It is not a road for RV's although I have seen TT's up there! You can take a walk through the old cemetary and see how young some children died in the 1800's.
There is creeks with trout in them also.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Long drive on some pretty rough roads. But there are a lot of people who tow trailers in there. There is a camp ground on the edge of town for those crazy enough to tow in there. BTW the road from the west is a bit better as I remember

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
It does look interesting--a ghost town. It is 25 miles down a dirt road tho. We haven't been to that corner of Idaho tho I lived there for a year. City of Rocks is interesting too, it's east of that location.

BK
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper