cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

So who's in the class of 2013/14?

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
I always enjoy seeing who is just starting out, and those that are keeping it going. Hopefully it will be a large class this year and not a dying lifestyle (FWIW, it's a good lifestyle if you're thinking about it.)

For us it will be our 6'th year. Big change is we sold the Class A and picked up a 5'ver which we now store down south. Will drive the SUV down like so many other snowbirds taking just a few days and then staying in one spot for the winter (that we've come to enjoy.) It sure does help make the bank roll thicker I'll say that much.

I can truthfully say that DW and I are already getting hitch itch, and we haven't even packed (plus, we no longer have a hitch to itch:(.) I'm betting that before next snowbird season we'll be mobile RV'ers once again. Just can't seem to shake the need to see what's around the next corner :). As long as we're young in body, mind, and physically capable, why not!

How about you?
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.
61 REPLIES 61

beyerjf
Explorer
Explorer
Full timing since June 2013, divorce final in August. Left PA in a 38' Work and Play 1st stop HDT rally in Hutchinson KS, first week of Oct. Great bunch of folks.
Will be in east TX for the winter. Back to PA next April. It's called freedom.

her_I
Explorer
Explorer
The plan right now is to leave on November 8th but will move it up if snows start to appear. Bought a tin-o-minium in San Benito, Texas last year and sold our RV this summer. Will be travelling in our KIA, Rondo and fighting over what to bring/not bring. Only have a couple of years left until the cost of travel insurance will put us out of the game.

gailgold
Explorer
Explorer
OK! We are in the class of 2013/2014! Heading out of the mountains of NH for Cedar Key, FL next week. Won't bring the fiver home until the snow and mud are gone. Still working some..... but "virtual" ..... got to love this getting older thing when we can enjoy it so much!

Happy Trails everyone!

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Sign me up. Will be spending 5 months in Gold Canyon, AZ starting Nov 1st.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Wolf3gang
Explorer
Explorer
Started Fulltiming Memorail day weekend 2013, at that time our house was not closed on, we were in northern Illinois, finaly on 9-27-13, two days before we were leaving for Florida for the winter, it closed, WOW was that close, no house, no real estate taxes, no financial burden, every thing paid for except cost of living costs, enjoy living in our fifthwheel, just taking it easy now and no more shoveling snow, Happy Trails too all, be safe Driving. And anyone thinking of Fulltiming , do not wait you will love this.

Basketweaverz
Explorer
Explorer
We had planned on our 5th year in Western AZ this winter. I was sitting in my recliner, crocheting on a shopping bag and my heart took off 150 to 190 beats a minute. Diagnosis of atrial fibrillation. Many dr. appointments and getting Coumadin regulated.

Doubt if we make it this winter, darn it. DH says he will take me to Hawaii, if allowed, to make up for it. I doubt if it will, but I love Hawaii also.

gscudder
Explorer
Explorer
Some great advice on not buying too soon, I expect we will eventually get a southern lot for the winters but we are in no hurry, we are young and can't wait for the fulltime life!!
Bring it on!!
Retire Abrams Master Gunner (Army)

Cube58
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought & going full-time soon. Just haven't picked the departure date yet.

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
DW retiring 11/15.

Couple years ago we purchased a home near Casa Grande, AZ. Will be leaving Portland, OR 12/1 or 12/2. Hope the weather is good enough to get through the passes into CA.

We will still travel during winter months.

Been waitin a long time for this.

We have a 5ver.

Merry
Explorer
Explorer
Husband retired last year, this is our second year as snowbirds. Going down after Christmas this year as we have a brand new grandson
2014 Pleasure-Way Pursuit (B+)

shanwick
Explorer
Explorer
This will be our 7th season in Phoenix. We usually leave around Dec. 10. for 4 months. I thought long and hard about buying in Phoenix a couple of years ago when real estate prices were really low and becoming a reverse snowbird (sunbird?). However, DW still likes the change of seasons here, and won't hear of it.
2007 Travel Supreme Envoy 40DS04
Cummins ISL 400

BillAnn_C
Explorer
Explorer
This is our third year. We go from the PNW to the desert areas of AZ and NM. We are hosting this year, for three months at the KOFANWR, then traveling east.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
arnko37 wrote:
Interesting post. I retired 19 years ago. Spent a couple winters in Texas. a few in AZ. Same w/ California slabs and also Florida. All that time keeping the house in Illinois. Finally decided that south Florida was for us. Then decided to reverse snow bird and move to Florida and go north in the summer. Works fine. Many more destinations to pick from and no worry about pipes freezing. Along the way I had 2 motorhomes, two fifth wheels and two travel trailers. Gave up on the MHs because they needed too many repairs, always something going wrong with the many automatic things. Now have a 30ft 5th wheel and new tow vehicle. Works fine. Only advise I can think of at the moment is don't buy a permanent site too soon. Wait till you have seen all the snowbird areas and have fun doing it. Happy trails.

Funny you are pretty much reading my mind on all of this snowbird stuff. Very nice to get some real life input from those that have gone before.

Only exception in my thinking is the size of the 5'ver. I was hoping to go smaller so as to stay as nimble as possible. With slides, shouldn't be that much of a hardship I would hope. Thanks for the heads up about buying a spot.

Happy trails and safe travels to you also.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

arnko37
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting post. I retired 19 years ago. Spent a couple winters in Texas. a few in AZ. Same w/ California slabs and also Florida. All that time keeping the house in Illinois. Finally decided that south Florida was for us. Then decided to reverse snow bird and move to Florida and go north in the summer. Works fine. Many more destinations to pick from and no worry about pipes freezing. Along the way I had 2 motorhomes, two fifth wheels and two travel trailers. Gave up on the MHs because they needed too many repairs, always something going wrong with the many automatic things. Now have a 30ft 5th wheel and new tow vehicle. Works fine. Only advise I can think of at the moment is don't buy a permanent site too soon. Wait till you have seen all the snowbird areas and have fun doing it. Happy trails.

rvingprincess
Explorer
Explorer
DH and I will be joining you in the Class of 2014. We will be retiring in the early part of the year (me at the end of Feb. & DH at the end of March). We are hoping to put the stix & brix up for sale by May (lots to do once we are both retire and have the time to get the house in selling shape & to get rid of so much stuff) and if all goes well we hope to be on the road full-time by the summer. We will head down towards Arizona next November (2014). I can hardly wait to start exploring Canada/U.S.A. Hurry up 2014.