cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Southwest Michigan Campgrounds

Brownbears
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking for a campground in the South Haven area of Michigan. Want to explore Saugatuck,Holland, St. Joseph area and would use for home base. Full hookups preferred. Anyone have a favorite?
8 REPLIES 8

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Poncho's Pond in Ludington, MI is a very nice place.

http://www.poncho.com/
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
...the state parks in this area will book up 100 percent full by noon on the first day reservations open (6 months in advance).

With the internet, it probably happens well before noon. The secret though is that a lot of those folks booking months in advance will end up cancelling their reservations, for various reasons. I usually start looking for a reservation a couple weeks before we plan to go, and I always find one. We don't camp on holiday weekends, but any other time it seems to work.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

golfknut
Explorer
Explorer
I second the recommendation for the Sunnybrook RV Resort.

Also, there is a Yogi Bear Jellystone RV Park not too far from the Sunnybrook Resort, just east of South Haven.
2018 Newmar Canyon Star 3513

JTHarley
Explorer
Explorer
you will love Sunnybrook....very clean, close to South Haven and a short drive to Holland, Saugatuck. Nice sites, outdoor pool, easy in and out and a small grocery store right next to the campground. We've been there a dozen times when we want to visit the area.
Jim , MJ & Spirit of Sambuca Bear
2015 Dynamax DQ320XL
Jeep Sahara Toad

bilmarde
Explorer
Explorer
If a no frills campground is OK try Jensen's in South Haven. It has full hookups, fire pits and picnic tables.
2011 Ford F250
1998 Cari-Lite 31RK
1990 Chevrolet 3500 Dually
1995 Lance 945

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
There is a KOA in Covert listed at South Haven.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Kennedy64
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at the Triponds Campground in Allegan, MI. It is about 30ish minutes from Holland and about 1 hrish from St. Joseph. Private campground, very clean and kid friendly. http://www.triponds.com/
We have also stayed at Dutch Treat in Zeeland, which is Holland's city neighbor, would be a further drive to St. Joe though http://www.dutchtreatcamping.com/

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
The only full hookups you will get will be in private campgrounds. I would go to Link and peruse the campgrounds in that region.

Be aware, that area of Michigan is extremely popular, reservations in this area can be very hard to get. For example, the state parks in this area will book up 100 percent full by noon on the first day reservations open (6 months in advance). I would assume holiday weeks are already booked in the private parks by now. 6 Months out you may be alright in a private park but I would get your reservation for anything this summer real quick. I haven't camped over in that area for years so I have no recommendations for a specific campground.