cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggestions for Florida CG

J_E
Explorer
Explorer
We have been going to Bushnell, FL for the past 10 years and want to find something different. What suggestions do you have for the East Coast and the Gulf Coast? Need a place with interesting things to do and see.
"03 GMC 3500 Duramax/Allison. '03 Jayco 3610 RLTS Designer Legacy 5er, (Actually still running)MOR/ryde IS Suspension,TrailerSaver II Air Ride Hitch.
13 REPLIES 13

Kidsgone
Explorer
Explorer
Jacksonville, FL...Hannah Park right outside the gate to Mayport Navy Base. Nice park with lots of trees and within a couple miles of downtown Jax Bch. Sebastian Inlet in Sebastian, FL...off A1A just north of Vero Beach...its right on the water. St Augustine is always nice, so is Jetty Park in Cape Canaveral...you can watch the cruise ships come and go, fish, and eat at some great local eateries like Grills at the Port.
I second Rock Crusher Canyon...great place. And Destin.
If you're in the area of Orlando, reserve a few nights at Ft Wilderness...its great even if you chose not to do the parks. You can hop on the monorail and hop to all the hotels...great during the holidays.
Enjoy the search.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Different from Bushnell. Hmmm.

I really like the Crystal River area, but that's almost the same thing in the same place.

Gulf Coast beaches? Either Pensacola to Panama City, or barrier islands north of St Pete.

SW Florida, for warmth, Sarasota to Naples.

Atlantic Coast beaches: Jax, St Augustine, Flagler, Daytona, Cocoa, or if you want to be warmer, Palm Beach down to Miami. Choices can be small town or big city along the coast.

The Keys are certainly different from where you are now.

If you like your winter climate but seek more urban life, developed attractions, mixing with crowds, then Orlando is right in the middle of things.

All of these regions/locations have RV parks to fit most preferences and budgets, though costs go up as you go south, get urban, or approach water. If you want beach, getting right on the beach can be expensive, since most beaches can be developed for a higher return with permanent housing.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Dixiechick
Explorer
Explorer
Riverside RV in Port Charlotte x 2.
Cathy and Don, finally retired :B
Cats-Whiskers the Princess and Shadow the Baby
2008 Allegro Class A Open Road 32'

spoonman
Explorer
Explorer
Nature Coast Landings in Crystal River, going back there in Nov for our sixth winter season. Great area with light traffic. Park has many amenities and the greatest group of people we have met in 40 yrs of camping.

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
If money is not an issue, Camp Gulf is in Destin and very nice. Lots to see and do up and down this coast. We are here now and really like it.
2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
You might try Dunedin RV Resort, Dunedin, FL but you might be disappointed in that the sites are much closer together than Bushnell but, on the other hand, it is heavily wooded.
We stay in both and Bushnell is one of our favorites.
You might also consider Periwinkle RV Resort on Sanibel Island but, again, you might just be back at Bushnell the next year.
I assume you have been staying at Blueberry Hill but you might have stayed across the street adjacent to I-75. If not, how about BH?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Key west would definitely qualify as different. :B

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Crystal River, Rainbow Springs area. IMHO best kept secret if you want to get away from sardine camping and most certainly to get away from the boring remoteness and scenery of Bushnell! :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

jeb5
Explorer
Explorer
Riversidervresorts.com
Riversidesnowbirds.com

Usually there is no room in the inn, but 160 new sites allow for many new snowbirds. We live in a rural area, but 5 minutes and no traffic lights to Walmart. 65 restaurants within 15 minutes. Golf, Beach, Shopping, etc. We have it all. 13 years at Riverside.

Send me a private message if you have any questions, etc.
Ford F-350, 6.7 Diesel, 4x4, Long Bed
Newmar Kountry Star 5th Wheel

fchammer1
Explorer
Explorer
Like thecampingman, we've been enjoying SW Florida for years. We're in Bonita Springs which is closer to Naples than Fort Myers. Our choice of parks is Imperial Bonita Estates which has more activities than any other we have ever experienced -- or you can take the more relaxed route as many others do. Traffic? Sure, but one can quickly learn the alternate routes that don't involve US 41 or the interstate. (Be sure to watch the movie in the link.)

A search of my posts will reveal a listing of parks from Fort Myers to Naples, or PM me and I'll email it to you along with a note or two of which ones to avoid. Put "IBE" in the subject line to avoid my spam folder.

On edit: SW Florida parks are on 3rd page of my posts 12/24/12.

thecampingman
Explorer
Explorer
J&E wrote:
We have been going to Bushnell, FL for the past 10 years and want to find something different. What suggestions do you have for the East Coast and the Gulf Coast? Need a place with interesting things to do and see.

Ten years in the same area! Sounds like me. I've spent the last 10 winters exploring Lee County. (Ft. Myers, Sanibel, Cape Coral etc.)
Traffic can be murderous. But with such high population the tourist infrastructure is comparable. There's around 30 city parks, nature preserves and a couple of state parks.
My favorite way of getting around is by bicycle or kayak. They give me access to the more natural settings.
Here's some pics of some of the things I've found. Lee County

The key to finding the gems of Lee County is to get a County map. The one issued by the County without advertising.
'03 GMC 4500 Topkick with Duramax/Allison
'04 36' McKenzie Medallion triple slide
Cabover kayak racks w/18' touring kayaks.
Bicycle carrier on the front with a street bike & a mountain bike
Snowbird W/Ohio camper dock

Eycom
Explorer
Explorer
One of my favorite Florida locations is about 100 miles northeast of Bushnell along the St. Johns River; Palatka, Sam Mateo, Satsuma and Welaka. It's Old Florida, where the pace is slow.

I like Half Shell Resort in Satsuma. It's a small adult 55 park on the river about 6 miles south of Palatka. Not my idea of a resort, but there's a small marina for your boat, fishing from the dock, FHUs, good WiFi, 100 channel cable, free washers, dryers $1.75. Rates are $15 higher than reflected on their website, but the electric is included. The grounds are well kept and the park is nicely treed with live oaks. Stay home and relax in the peace and quiet or take an easy drive east to St. Augustine & the coast, Gainesville and Ocala to the west and the National forest just SW. There are several other CGs along the river.
RVn Full-time

Boldtning
Explorer
Explorer
Take a good look at Rock Crusher Canyon RV Park in Crystal River. You won't be disappointed with the park or the area.
Jeff & Barbie
2010 Keystone Alpine 3500RE
Dodge Ram 3500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4X2 SRW, 6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Crystal River, FL/Dillard, GA/ USA