cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

traveling the blue ridge parkway

funpro
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning on traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway starting at the south end. Any recommendations, suggestions for RV parks, great sites to see, etc. This trip will begin from California in May 2017.
Thanks in advance.
15 REPLIES 15

funpro
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who responded to my post on traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway. Got some wonderful ideas and warm responses.

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
The whole thing is awesome. We took just the tents and enjoyed the National Park campgrounds. They are a bit old but located at higher elevations. Here was our guide Campgrounds along Blue Ridge Hwy
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

Hokiehall
Explorer
Explorer
It will be a long slow ride but if you are not in a hurry it will be worth it. During the summer you will see lots of green and in some cases not much else. Most of the growth at the overlooks are kept trimmed away so the views are usually good.

Be aware that most of the campgrounds on the parkway were built long before the large trailers and motorhomes now prevalent were even dreamed of so finding sites large enough can be a challenge with a large rig. You may want to check out the private ones off the parkway.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tunnels - no problem but move over and hug the yellow line especially on the shorter ones to add clearance. All posted clearances are measured at the white line and all have an arc.

Stop often. We pull in to almost every over look. Watch for signs though for the couple you don't want to pull into if towing a trailer.

Visit blueridgeparkway.org for a lot more information, especially the list of hiking trails.

If you have plenty of time and can boondock, plan one night at each camprground, maybe two days at some. You will not regret it.

Must dos are the hike up to Devil's Courthouse, a meal at Pisgah Inn, Linville Falls, Mineral Museum, breakfast as Marby Mill, sunrise from at least one over look.

Enjoy the trip. I've done all of the parkway multiple times, but not all of it in one trip though it is on my bucket list.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I took a trip a couple of years ago and travelled up I-81. I dropped my fifth wheel at a campground and then took my truck up the parkway for short stretches. I hiked a couple sections of the Appalachian Trail.

I found it more enjoyable to do it this way because some of the pullouts were too small for an RV. I would have missed some great photo opportunities if I had my fifth wheel. As some of the other folks have mentioned, it's not a great road if you're trying to make time. It's twisty in some places and the driver can't be enjoying the scenery.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Please work your plan carefully. It didn't matter to us, but if I recall correctly, there are several tunnels/bridges near the north end that are low on vertical clearance. This is all in the published guides and they can either be by-passed or you can hold the center and make it. We had to wait for one doing that one time.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a few that aren't on the parkway, but near by. These 2 are in Virginia: Sherando Lake is near the north end. Beautiful campground with electric hookups,bath houses, water hydrants in each loop, dump station and lake with a swimming beach. Also Goose Point. Same amenities with some sites right on the water. In North Carolina, Davidson River has about the same amenities as the 2 in Virginia.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We haven't traveled the entire thing, but we haven't seen a bad part of it. Is it a slow drive? Yes, but how better to take in the scenery. It's not a highway and was built to enjoy the scenery. We are glad we only live around an hour from it. It makes day drives nice. We've stayed at two of the campgrounds on the parkway. Julian Price and Linville Falls. Linville Falls is nicer and more up-to-date. Julian Price (closer to Blowing Rock) is in serious need of maintenance....but if you enjoy greenery, then you will like it.

Here are some videos we've done on the parkway and a couple of the parks...

Julian Price Campground
Linville Falls and Linville Falls Campground
Driving the Blue Ridge Parkway
Downside of Driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I have traveled the entire length many times and always find it a great drive. Plan on doing it again in a few weeks.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
We traveled the entire length and continued along sky line drive in 2006. We plan to do it again if our health holds out. You will not regret the slow easy drive, stopping often too.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago we drove the Skyline Parkway and the Blue Ridge from VA all the way to the end near Cherokee, NC.
We thought it a trip of a life time. At that time we were in a 25' Class C and not towing a car.

Then too.....I am one of those guy's that likes to say "I did that".
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've not seen a part of the parkway that wasn't beautiful. However, since you are planning a year in advance, make reservations! We are camp hosts at a National Forest campground just off the parkway and, since the weather started warming up, we've been full almost every night.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We've done it from Front Royal, doen Skyline drive through the Shenandoah NP and continued on the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. One of our best trips and certainly the most photographed. If you have the time it's a great trip. Just plan on a slow trip and enjoy.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
you will regret and waste time doing the whole thing.
bumpy