cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Visiting New York city.....

JK3045
Explorer
Explorer
Planning on visiting the city...ground zero in particular. My question for those that might live near there or have been there..is it better to go during the week or on the weekend?

Thanks,
John
19 REPLIES 19

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
sdianel wrote:
KOA Newburgh NY is about an hour north and you can catch the train from Beacon into the city. This KOA also has an awesome (although expensive) bus tour that leaves from the campground at 7am and you stay in the city all day. So glad we did that.

Unless it changed, the bus tour out of the Newburgh KOA does not include a stop at grond zero. Atleast it did NOT last July (2014) when we took it. Great tour, nice CG, no WTC.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Liberty Harbor is a big parking lot with services (water/electric) and a dump station. It is expensive ($80ish) per night. Those are the bad things.

The good things. It is located in the perfect spot for viewing the Statue of Liberty, especially at night. It is right in the city (Jersey City). There is a water taxi that leaves every 30 minutes from the marina at Liberty Harbor ($8.00ish) that goes to Wall St. or you can walk 2 blocks to the PATH train ($2.50ish) and go directly to the World Trade Center. It takes about 5 minutes.

We spent 5 days there and it is definitely NOT a destination campground, but you can't get any closer or have a better location for exploring the city.

The walk to the PATH is very safe and goes through a residential neighborhood. I didn't feel the least bit unsafe walking with my then 9 and 6 year old girls and DH. Lots of young working adults out walking dogs until late at night and security guards at the marina.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
JK3045 wrote:
Hard to believe but we have stayed in worse CGs,

X2 :B

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

JK3045
Explorer
Explorer
Thank all of you folks...it sounds like Liberty Harbor is what we want as we don't have a toad. We stayed at Liberty harbor quite a few years ago and I know what it is. Hard to believe but we have stayed in worse CGs, It will work fine for what we want.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Liberty Harbor is GREAT for visiting the city. As that picture shows, you are parallel to lower Manhattan and have a great view at night. The PATH train is a convenient 10 minute walk and takes you over to the redline subway, which is right where you want to be for Ground Zero.

Johns Pizzeria on Bleecker St in the West Village... best pizza in the city. NO SLICES though, you gotta get a whole pie. Its worth it!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
I took this pic during the early evening at Liberty Harbor Campground!

Mike
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
PATH Metro Station is about a 10 minute walk from Liberty Harbor campground, from the station you can go either go to ground 0/see other attractions or connect onto the MTA.

I would recommend Liberty Harbor Campground but as mentioned earlier don't go to LH expecting a camping experience, it's basically a parking lot with W/E, dump station, Bathrooms/showers, office.

Reviews on Liberty Harbor Campground

Mike

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
JK3045 wrote:
Planning on visiting the city...ground zero in particular. My question for those that might live near there or have been there..is it better to go during the week or on the weekend?

Thanks,
John

Answering the question you asked.... During the week after morning rush hour and avoiding evening rush hour by leaving before it or staying after it.
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I live about 15 miles from the Liverty RV park and can confirm it is only a parking lot with hookups. That said, it does serve a great purpose as it is a quick walk to the train into NYC
I suggest arriving at Liberty on a weekday either mid day ( 11 am- 3pm) or after 7 pm, as traffic can be rough. There is plenty to walk around and see after arriving: local restraunts and bars, liberty state park, a marina full of million dollar toys,and just taking in the view of the NYC skyline.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
KOA Newburgh NY is about an hour north and you can catch the train from Beacon into the city. This KOA also has an awesome (although expensive) bus tour that leaves from the campground at 7am and you stay in the city all day. So glad we did that.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
Last time I tried Liberty Harbor, I couldn't get a campsite unless I booked a month in advance.. That was in July.

Black Bear Campground is 46 miles away from NYC and is a regular campground (with a pool ๐Ÿ™‚ ), as opposed to Liberty Harbor which is just a parking lot (which is OK for what it is) .. There is train service to Manhattan in a nearby town.

http://blackbearcampground.com/
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
As someone else mentioned, if not Liberty Harbor than you'd have to come toward my neck of the woods about an hour West. There are a couple of campgrounds that are 10-15 minute rides to bus and train station. If you do go that route, the train to Hoboken is best (about an hour on the train). The PATH will take you from there directly to Ground Zero (11-12 minutes if memory serves).

That PATH station still creeps me out. I used to take it every day to the basement of the Twin Towers. Now it's pretty much open to the sky above - it's surreal.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

travelbayshore1
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Liberty Harbor - during the week. We waited til the majority of the commuters had left on the ferry before we left the CG. We used the PATH as well as the ferry. Wonderful experiences.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
JK3045 wrote:
I'm sorry... I should also have said that you folks recommended some campgrounds close by in a previous post that we can catch a train close by the CG. Not going to try to drive in.

Are you catching a train or are you taking a bus to the train.

The train and bus service on weekends is greatly reduced. Specially Sunday.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!