cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Watkins Glen State Park without a toad.

chefdc1
Explorer
Explorer
We're staying at Watkins Glen State Park just after the 4th of July. 30' Class C, no toad. Is there any parking in town, or will we be best off staying put? We would like to go to town, just to walk around, get an I've cream, etc.
Dave, Janeen, Lane, Mady and Brooke
Coventry, RI
15 REPLIES 15

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
pa traveler wrote:
Anyone familiar with marina ? Want to pull boat behind truck camper there,wondering if they have transient slips? Or the name of the marina? Thanks.

Actually there are 6 or 7 marinas in Watkins Glen.

Let me Google that for you
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
There is some shopping in town, and several nice restaurants. Without a car, you'll miss out on the wineries that surround the lake and are worth visiting - unless you don't drink wine.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I just googled watkins glen marina and it popped right up. said they had transient slips. when I was there years back it looked pretty full.
bumpy

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone familiar with marina ? Want to pull boat behind truck camper there,wondering if they have transient slips? Or the name of the marina? Thanks.

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
There is a Walmart a couple of blocks off of the main drag.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

chris_in_pa
Explorer
Explorer
It's a beautiful campground, but there's not much in town. I did walk into town. As someone else mentioned there is a trail that is a more gradual slope than the road. Still, it's a lot of UP back to the campground.

KMP44
Explorer
Explorer
From the CG there is trail access to the gorge. We usually just walk down the gorge to go into town. I've walked the road several times as well, but the gorge is actually easier than the road. Parking is always a pain, even with the car.
2005 F-150 FX-4
2013 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS

nypatnva
Explorer
Explorer
May be wrong but I am pretty sure there is a shuttle that runs from the park to the bottom of the glen. We will be going through there next month to the other end of Seneca Lake (Geneva). We like Clute park cause it is close to the lake and shopping. Walmart is walking distance from Clute. Do a search "shuttle bus Watkins glen state park"
2016 dodge ram
champion generator 1978 Serro Scotty Highlander (restored)

michigan_buckey
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed here last summer. The gorge is absolutely breathtaking! Unlike anything I've ever seen before. I highly recommend getting up early in the morning and hiking it before the crowds show up.

I vaguely remember there being a shuttle that could take you from the campground office down to the town. And by 'down', I mean down! The campground is up a very steep hill from town and they don't allow bikes up or down it. I'd suggest calling the campground office directly and ask them about getting into town without a car and confirming that shuttle. We had a car, so I didn't pay attention that close.

The pool is also down this steep hill and worth going to if it's hot.

And speaking of that steep hill. There's a back way to the campground that comes in further south of the city and takes a much more gradual climb. I'd suggest taking some time and mapping your route, don't take Old Corning Rd that connects to 14 by Glenn Creek. It looks much more direct on paper, but is challenging to get up.

Shane549
Explorer
Explorer
Been there many times. Beautiful place. I would look into renting

a car. A 30ft C would be a handful on the roads in the park not to

parking lots. Enjoy.
2014 F150 SCREW 2wd 3:55 E locker Ecoboost
2015 Keystone Laredo 240MK
Blue Ox Sway Pro
Mable (the Boston Bull Terrier)

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
In town , there is a CG called Clute Park, right across the street is a day use park right on the lake. There is adequate room to park there. It's a couple blocks to the business district. You can check it out on Google earth
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
there is a small city owned campground on the lake. probably could park there. it would be quite a hike to town from the state park campground.
bumpy

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Where is this park?

Watkins Glen State Park

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Just take a taxi into town.......I would not say its tough to park in town, but it's not a piece of cake either. There is a car park by the marina but not sure if you will fit.

The other alternative is a bicycle - you may need to walk the last mile back tough......... *you'll know what I'm saying when you get there
Gerry
Gerry