cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

western US big game hunting

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
Sometime before I get too old to enjoy it, I would like to pull the fiver out west and do some elk or mule deer hunting. I am not really sure which state I want to go to (I'm in Virginia) but would like to find an outfitter/guide service with RV facilities. Do any of our western friends know of any such place? Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
+1 on DIY Colorado. Lots of places to hunt with an RV as a base camp. Plus you can get tags over the counter.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

137buck
Explorer
Explorer
I go to Colorado almost every year archery elk hunting. We do it ourselves and save quite a bit of money. It isn't as hard as a lot of people make it out to be.

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
It can be expensive, but if that is something you want to do, don't wait until you can't enjoy the trip.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the replies. After looking at some of the outfitter pages, I will need to let the piggy bank fill up a little more before I go.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Pinedale, Wyoming. Wind River Mnts or Gros Vente. Sort of bias to the area as I was a guide there for 10 years. Lots of open range for mulies plus you could get a antalope at the same time and wouldn't need to pay guide service. That way you could do a guided trip just for Elk. Lots of outfitters in Pinedale/Cora area.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the outfitters in Central Idaho. Many years ago that was a great place for deer / elk. Don't know about now. All are very expensive as are the out of state license fees. I lived near Yellowstone in Idaho back in the 70's. Hunting w/o a guide or someone with local knowledge is very difficult. I was lucky to work with a long time resident and dedicated sportsman. Never got an elk but did get a mountain goat which is pretty rare. Happy hunting!!

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
My very elderly dad used to saddle up the horse and a pack horse and spend a week or so in the fall back in the West Elk Wilderness Area, not that far from their farm. Great hunting (and some harrowing close-calls, too). The man was amazing with his 270: Open sights and never missed. After many years of this, though, he tired of the whole spiel, got himself a decent camera and lens, and, so he said, enjoyed himself a lot more. No hunting season, no licenses, no limits, no dawn to dusk rules, but much more stealth required. (Well, if you want spend a week with a camera in the West Elk, you should still register. If you don't return, they'll try to find you, and with a great deal of luck, they might be successful at finding more than just bits of your corpse.)

http://www.coloradowilderness.com/wildpages/westelk.html

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trophy Ridge Outfitters. Elk, Deer, Antelope & Oryx (Afican Antelope) in New Mexico...........LINK

US Outfitters........AZ, NM, UT,NV, KS, WY.......LINK

Bring your BIG wallet.
Ain't nothing cheap

And you will need to find your own camping spot.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
pinesman wrote:
Sometime before I get too old to enjoy it, I would like to pull the fiver out west and do some elk or mule deer hunting. I am not really sure which state I want to go to (I'm in Virginia) but would like to find an outfitter/guide service with RV facilities. Do any of our western friends know of any such place? Thanks.
North of Reserve, N.M. a lot of outfitters, lot of large Elk. Fly to Alb. N. M.
So big a world, so little time to see.