cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

what to see and do around Boise Idaho

buckeye_nut
Explorer
Explorer
We have a wedding the end of July in Boise Idaho. Does anyone have suggestions of things to see and do in this area. We will be flying and renting a car on this trip since it will take to long to pull the camper from Ohio. We like hiking and outdoorsy type of stuff, we aren't interested in museums or art. This will be our summer vacation so we could even fly into a different airport and spend a week away from Boise. We are willing to drive to different areas because we aren't seeing much of anything to do in the Boise area. We have been to Yellowstone but nowhere else out west. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
17 REPLIES 17

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
timandsusan wrote:
Don't miss the Raptor place with all the falconry stuff--great staff, lots of big birds. It is located just to the Southeast of Boise.

The World Center for Birds of Prey

This is just South of town about 5 miles. The facility location also offers a great view of the Boise Valley.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
Don't miss the Raptor place with all the falconry stuff--great staff, lots of big birds. It is located just to the Southeast of Boise.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
buckeye nut wrote:
Thanks for all the responses, we were looking all of them all up last night. It looks like Sawtooth seems to be the most popular and our favorite also. When we looked at the pictures it was gorgeous but our next question is how many miles of hiking does it take to get to these places and is it mountain hiking? We like to hike but we like easy trails and not a lot of steep climbing. We are even willing to go to surrounding states if there are must see places there.

This web site may help in deciding what areas & trails you may like.

SAWTOOTH TRAILS

2006 POLARIS ATV
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

buckeye_nut
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses, we were looking all of them all up last night. It looks like Sawtooth seems to be the most popular and our favorite also. When we looked at the pictures it was gorgeous but our next question is how many miles of hiking does it take to get to these places and is it mountain hiking? We like to hike but we like easy trails and not a lot of steep climbing. We are even willing to go to surrounding states if there are must see places there.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on the Sawtooth Mountains! It's a favorite of ours with some wonderful campgrounds and excellent fly fishing in the river. Also, it will be a lot cooler there. Boise in July will be hot.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
No one mentioned Bruneau Dunes State Park, about 60 miles southeast of Boise (south of Mountain Home). BIG sand dunes in a sheltered valley. On weekend nights in the summer, they have an astronomical show - the park even has its own telescope (large style), and park volunteers bring their own, letting visitors look through them. And in partial response to nomad, a friend of mine is one of those volunteers.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

old_idaho_guy
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Stanley and Red Fish Lake area. Some of the best scenery in the world and hiking trails for all skill levels!

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Murphsmom wrote:
If you are into hiking, you don't want to miss Stanley! The Sawtooth Mountains are unbelievable. Many hiking trails, lots of gorgeous scenery. You could do a loop through Sun Valley and head to Stanley from there and then back to Boise. Here is a link to the guest photo gallery at Sawtooth Camera. If this doesn't make you want to come on up, I don't know what will.

http://www.sawtoothcamera.com/guest.html

Edit: looks like the link didn't "link", so you will have to cut and paste. Stanley also offers river rafting, fishing and all the "amenities" that a town of 100 people has to offer.

CLICKY

2006 POLARIS ATV
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
If you are into hiking, you don't want to miss Stanley! The Sawtooth Mountains are unbelievable. Many hiking trails, lots of gorgeous scenery. You could do a loop through Sun Valley and head to Stanley from there and then back to Boise. Here is a link to the guest photo gallery at Sawtooth Camera. If this doesn't make you want to come on up, I don't know what will.

http://www.sawtoothcamera.com/guest.html

Edit: looks like the link didn't "link", so you will have to cut and paste. Stanley also offers river rafting, fishing and all the "amenities" that a town of 100 people has to offer.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Do a Google search for `Boise tourism' and take your pick.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
sdianel wrote:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g35394-Activities-Boise_Idaho.html

Also drive to Craters of the Moon National Monument, about 2 hours east but very interesting lava fields.

X2...We stopped there last fall and found it to be a VERY interesting place. We felt like we had just landed on the moon. Easy walking/hiking trails up a lava mountain, and some interesting small caves too.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
THE BOISE GREENBELT

McCall IDAHO

HIKING TRAILS SURROUNDING BOISE

SUN VALLEY This is a shuttle service from Boise to Sun Valley.

2006 POLARIS ATV
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Visit the Basque area of Boise: museum, store, etc.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g35394-Activities-Boise_Idaho.html

Also drive to Craters of the Moon National Monument, about 2 hours east but very interesting lava fields.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi