cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
This will be our first time there. Arriving probably later next week. Want power and water at minimum. Don't want to be tied to the time constraints that site reservations bring so we're making our visit now since the kids are now in school and hopefully snow hasn't flown yet.

With that, my plan is to "show up" and find a spot, most likely outside YNP. Am I more likely at finding such camping in or around Gardiner or at West Glacier? Campground reccommendations appreciated too.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!
24 REPLIES 24

bigmurf
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
What part of dump station on the left as you come in do you not understand! There is water there also pus another 10+ around the CG. Bring some long hoses if your tanks are small.

NO DUMP AT BAKERS HOLE
Fulltimers
2004 Montana 3655FL, Trailair pinbox and Center Pivot air ride, Disc Brakes
2004.5 Dodge 3500 Dually, 6spd, Edge Juice, RS9000, Pressure Pro System, AFE, Jake Brake, Balance Masters, Mag-Hytec, Oil Guard bypass filter.

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
We are coming from the other direction but if you come East, Absaroka Bay in Cody is worth checking out. $33 / night after disc+tax. Full HU. Cody is a great town, 55 m from East entrance. We go into the park tomorrow and are staying at Grant Village 2 nights and FB 2 nights. They post on the NPS website what time the CG fill up.

Todd

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
What part of dump station on the left as you come in do you not understand! There is water there also pus another 10+ around the CG. Bring some long hoses if your tanks are small.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
jamesu wrote:
This will be our first time there. Arriving probably later next week. Want power and water at minimum. Don't want to be tied to the time constraints that site reservations bring so we're making our visit now since the kids are now in school and hopefully snow hasn't flown yet.

With that, my plan is to "show up" and find a spot, most likely outside YNP. Am I more likely at finding such camping in or around Gardiner or at West Glacier? Campground reccommendations appreciated too.

Take a look - Old Faith full Web Cam Still a number of people, if I were you I'd just roll on in mid week and you might just get lucky - Labor day the crowds were 3-5 deep today maybe 1.5 deep so a lot of people are moving on out.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hope you're planning to go to Grand Teton National Park, also. It should be prime color time. It's altogether different from Yellowstone in looks and things to do. It's one of our favorites. Here's some awesome photos on this blog that I just saw:

Grand Teton Nat'l Park Photos
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want electric and water at minimum then I'd recommend Grizzly, or Rocky Mountain RV Park in Gardiner MT if you want to be at the north end of the park. We have stayed at both, and at Grizzly multiple times. Grizzly, near the west entrance, will make it a bit easier to reach the geyser basins and the central areas of the park, but staying in Gardiner will make it easier to access Mammoth Hot Springs and the wildlife there and in the Lamar Valley - this due to major road construction along the northwest section of the Grand Loop Rd.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Baker's Hole is very nice. You can get a little bit of highway noise but get as far back as you can and it's not bad enough to be annoying.

If you get there mid-week and reasonably early, you will likely be able to snag an electric spot.

I do not believe there is a dump station. We dumped at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone for a fee.

Grizzly in West Yellowstone is a very nice RV park if you want that type of experience. It is open until Oct. 15.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Rocky Mountain RV Park in Gardiner is pretty good. We spent a week there a month ago.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Common topic. Search for Yellowstone in the RV Parks section and take your pick. Bring a sweater!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Baker's Hole USFS 3 miles N of W Yellowstone. First come with dump station on left as you come in and some sites have electric. If electric not available first day (earlier the better) then move to one the second day. Best deal going and sites not close together like all the rest.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...