cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yuma AZ vs Indio CA?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Which do you recommend and why? Best Private RV parks for a senior couple with no kids or pets? We are looking at staying from the middle of Dec to the middle of Feb. Thanks!
19 REPLIES 19

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Indio is sea level or just under. One reference said -4.3m.

We love Tucson as well but we are just south of it about 25 miles and elevation at our place is about 2950 feet.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

pjsky
Explorer
Explorer
The main reason that we go south in the winter is to get away from the cold. Yuma is the warmest. Where we stay is only 100 feet above sea level.
No person is completely worthless ..... one can always serve as a bad example.

PAUL AND JAN

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
If you're willing to go a bit further East, Tuscon has a lot to offer. Kind of in between Yuma and Indio on level of things to do and tourist draw.

We only stayed for a few days for an event last year, but the area seemed to offer a number of 55+ options. Just keep an eye on where you'll be relative to the air force base and the trains (the LazyDays KOA was pretty close to both).
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at Rancho Casa Blanco RV resort in Indio. Nice 55 plus RV park. Not as pricy as some of the other RV resorts. I have never been to Yuma so can't compare however there is an endless amount of things to do in the Indio area. Also amazingly nice weather in the winter.
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
There's a reason that the Indio area has all those windmills. ๐Ÿ™‚

The nearest windmill to Indio is approx 30 miles away.

Yah, other than maybe the community of North Palm Springs most of the Valley communities including, Palm SPrings, Cathedral city, Rancho Mirage, Palm Desert, Indio, La quinta etc are sheltered from the wind by the mountain. Wind "most of the time" is not a problem.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:

The nearest windmill to Indio is approx 30 miles away.

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
less expensive than Palm Springs/Palm Desert/Indio/Indian Wells/Bermuda Dunes

I am surprised you left out La Quinta and Rancho Mirage lol...although not many people mention Bermuda Dunes in the mix ๐Ÿ™‚

From my times of being raised in Hollywood, Inglewood and the San Fernando Valley, we had to seek refuge in my early teenage years as I was raised in Indio, Desert Hot Springs, Coachella, and one summer stint in Las Vegas.

I still have relatives in Indio and seen how things had grown between the late 1970's in comparison to my last visit in 2009 which there is more recreation now and expansion with the many country clubs that were non existent then, which means there is a lot to do.

Haven't been to Yuma but Glamis is the closest I been to along the general area, but I imagined Yuma to have the typical environment as a Blythe, Parker, or Havasu.

As far as the windmills that are mentioned, I believe Southern Cal Edison started the windmill energy project as an experiment, as they were first located in the Whitewater and Cabazon areas and between Palm Springs and Desert Hot Springs areas in 1977 as the winds funnel thru there more often, especially in March and April....I knew someone that was a windmill tech that could tell you every windmill design and what country built it and where it originated (the main three designs then were Norway, Holland, and Germany).

What used to be dozens of them in the late 1970's are now in the thousands in 2009 when I drove out of Desert Hot Springs on Hwy. 62 enroute to Anaheim and back to Las Vegas.

In 2009 I do not recall seeing any windmills near Indio or Coachella other than expanded power lines and substations that were not present during the times I lived in the area.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Ooops, double post - sorry.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Last winter the fuel was not much more expensive in Indio as it was in western AZ; we were surprised.

Yes, the wind generators are west of Palm Springs; a long way from Indio. And the winds generally are north of I10...Indian Waters is south.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well we just completed our 12th season in Yuma. Plenty of cheap or free things to do. No, it doesn't have the So-Cal feel to it, just look at the fuel prices.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
2gypsies wrote:
There's a reason that the Indio area has all those windmills.
The wind turbines can be hard at work west of Palm Springs, and the valley can be quite pleasant at the same time.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Truthfully, we have never been in Yuma when it was windy. It's always been nice for us...not to say it doesn't get windy. The whole southwest gets windy at times.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Compared to Yuma? We have never seen either place...

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel