cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exterior light indicator

nadkaw1957
Explorer
Explorer
If you're anything like me, you've gotten up in the morning to discover that you've left your exterior light(s) on all night. And while you might not worry about battery drain with such a small draw, it can be annoying to neighbors.

I had some 12V leds in various colors laying around, so I wired them to the switched side of my light switches and voila.

2018 Grand Design Imagine 2250RK
2018 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
16 REPLIES 16

JTLance
Explorer
Explorer

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
A few years back we got a knock about 1130pm, had mistakenly left our bright (seldom used) outside light on. The next week I replaced all the outside light switches with illuminated ones once they were turned on.

Nice way you did your mod.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
I need that. The last time we were out my wife said, Did you know the outside light was on last night ? Hmmm, I guess I forgot. Imagine that !
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

nadkaw1957
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
My trailer came with lighted switches for all the outside lights. I still forget and leave them on occasionally in spite of the glowing red switch.

That's the thing I like about these LED's - they're bright enough that they light up the opposite wall at night if I leave them on... pretty hard to miss. ๐Ÿ˜„
2018 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

nadkaw1957
Explorer
Explorer
Harvey51 wrote:
Twelve volts across one LED would just burn it out. Must have been a "bulb" with 6 leds in series.

It's an LED manufactured for 12V. It has a resistor wired in series. These That's why I stated "12V"
2018 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer came with lighted switches for all the outside lights. I still forget and leave them on occasionally in spite of the glowing red switch.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Twelve volts across one LED would just burn it out. Must have been a "bulb" with 6 leds in series.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Nice mod. Will suggest that to a couple of friends who have a tendency to leave their porch light on all night and all the next day.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
"nadkaw1957" and "Lynnmor"......thanks for your replies. Doing the same thing with my inverter on/off switch.
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Very simple mod! great idea! And hardly and draw. My next mod!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Z-Peller wrote:
Details on wiring please. Since LED's are on switched hot wire did you have to bring ground wire from somewhere to LED's?

Yes, you do.

nadkaw1957
Explorer
Explorer
Z-Peller wrote:
Details on wiring please. Since LED's are on switched hot wire did you have to bring ground wire from somewhere to LED's?

In my case, both hot and ground were there behind the panel for all the lights. I just tapped into the ground for the cathode side of the LED and attached the anode side to the switched connector on the appropriate switch.
2018 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
nineoaks2004 wrote:
Neat idea, wonder why the manufacturers didn't think of it ?

It might cost a nickle?

Another idea is to install lighted switches. I replaced the water heater switches with lighted ones so that I can see at a glance if they are on.