cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fridge fan quieting

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
My fridge fan is louder and whinier inside the trailer than outside.
There are 4 fans, fridge is in a slide, so side vented.
Anybody done a mod to reduce the sound?
16 REPLIES 16

dennis1949
Explorer
Explorer
Took mine to the shop last year for that. Said bearings in fan need oiling. Been quite ever since
qiute ever since
Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama
2012 GMC 3/4 ton Z71 Diesel
2016 Forest River Blue Ridge. 3045 RL

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Completed install today.....fans worked. And then....refrigerator didnโ€™t work on AC, just gas. No panic yet, as we mostly boondock.....but concern. Troubleshooting all fuses, breakers, nothing found! Now getting concerned! Unplugged 120 vac power, and tested receptacle.....no power. Feeling better.....recheck breakers....nothing โ€œtrippedโ€ Confused and perplexed! Then an โ€œepiphanyโ€, sure enough....one of the kitchen GFIโ€™s was tripped and took out the refrigerator receptacle! Crisis averted....celebrate with a beer! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
I've never had the upper vent off our fridge (8 cu. ft. Norcold) so I had a peek yesterday while doing a wash 'n wax job and see that there's just one 4" fan in there. If Norcold can do it with a single fan and be very quiet, can't a single (or maybe two) decent 4" ball bearing fan(s) work just fine in a Dometic? I would assume both manufacturers have a spec for min & max cfm for sidewall vented fridges.

Weโ€™ re in the process (should complete and test today) of replacing our single fan with a pair on our Dometic (14 year old unit). The fans have โ€œfluid bearingsโ€, not sure exactly what that means.....but, they are very quiet. Hopefully they will help the refrigerator performance. Fingers crossed!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never had the upper vent off our fridge (8 cu. ft. Norcold) so I had a peek yesterday while doing a wash 'n wax job and see that there's just one 4" fan in there. If Norcold can do it with a single fan and be very quiet, can't a single (or maybe two) decent 4" ball bearing fan(s) work just fine in a Dometic? I would assume both manufacturers have a spec for min & max cfm for sidewall vented fridges.

Themucsel
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced my outside noisy fan with two AeroCool Silent Master 2000mm (EN55642) that I found on Amazon at $21.17 each. I got the idea from Charles Coushaine on his YouTube channel. Easy install, no noise at all, and a lot more air flow.

fncampn
Explorer
Explorer
I just did this mod today. My Dometic is in the super slide and the single factory fan was a bit on the noisy side. Not obnoxiously loud but loud enough to be annoying when watching TV on low volume or reading.

I replaced the fan with 2 larger fans which are super quiet and flow more air. Here's a clicky to the fan on Amazon.

I also added some Reflectix across and over the top of the upper coil fins to direct air from the fans out the upper vent. There is a void above the coils that traps hot air so very little if any flowing air would get out of the vent.

Outside temp is 91F right now with the slide in the direct sun. Freezer temp is 20F and fridge is 41F. Decent cooling performance with the heat soak.
2017 Ford F250 XLT CCLB 4x4 3.73 6.2 Auto
2018 Rockwood Signature Ultralight 8324BH
Reese SteadyFlex weight distributing hitch - 1,400/14000

Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
For fridges mounted in slides, I have wondered if using a 10~14" electric radiator fan mounted on one (or both) of the outside covers would work well. You could even use a speed controller so it doesn't have to turn faster than needed to reduce noise. They're cheap and flow a ton of air.
This a good idea, something to look into. My fridge is slide mounted with two fans. I hear them if all else is quiet but I wouldn't classify them as loud.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
If there are any gaps around the refer the noise can easily get inside and with four of them it is probably like big speakers in a speaker enclosure.

Remove the moulding around the front of the refer and seal around it. Noise can come through the smallest holes.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
For fridges mounted in slides, I have wondered if using a 10~14" electric radiator fan mounted on one (or both) of the outside covers would work well. You could even use a speed controller so it doesn't have to turn faster than needed to reduce noise. They're cheap and flow a ton of air.

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Just buy a better 12v fan from amazon and replace it. The factor fan is the cheapest thing possible.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
It might help if you post what brand it is. Is it obnoxiously loud or you're just not used to the sound? I believe some have replaced the fan(s) with a quieter ball bearing type.

We have a Norcold fridge in our slide and I have never heard the fan(s) running, even close up outside. I do hear the burner when running on propane tho.

Dometic RM1350SLMX

Video here:
https://youtu.be/3GgHtzFgX4M

It is loud enough that you can hear it while watching TV movie with volume up.
Not getting used to it after 3 months almost full time. It is a new trailer so trying to make it a warranty issue, but early indications are not positive.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
The fan on our new Norcold must be thermostatically controlled, it runs only in hot weather. Side vented in the slide.

For the OP, I'd look for new replacement fans with ball bearings.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It might help if you post what brand it is. Is it obnoxiously loud or you're just not used to the sound? I believe some have replaced the fan(s) with a quieter ball bearing type.

We have a Norcold fridge in our slide and I have never heard the fan(s) running, even close up outside. I do hear the burner when running on propane tho.

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
All 4 fans are outside. There is no inside fan. That is what is confusing me.
This is a new trailer...
Will check into Richards suggestion

thx