cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing a new awning

MandKJohns
Explorer
Explorer
So currently my TT does not have an awning installed on it. I know come summer time I will want some extra shade outside. Is it difficult to install an awning? Any special hardware or tools I will need?

It's a 25' Dutchmen TT for what it's worth.
13 REPLIES 13

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
^ I know everything. ๐Ÿ˜›

Of course! What was I thinking?!! :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
^ I know everything. ๐Ÿ˜›

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
^ Because it was a really good deal and the lack of an awning was not a deal breaker.

And you know this how? :h The OP is in Florida, presumably he wants to use this trailer in Florida, but WHO would do so without an awning? Apparently not the OP, as it seems he now has decided he does need one. "Good deal" or not, installing a new awning, particularly if there's no rail, won't be inexpensive, particularly if pays to have it installed. :R

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
^ Because it was a really good deal and the lack of an awning was not a deal breaker.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
In looking at my awning, it appears the key is to connect the side arm brackets into part of the structure, and not just the side panels.

Depends. A manual awning will have brackets at the top and bottom of each vertical arm secured to the frame of the trailer with lag bolts but the vertical support arms for a power awning are shorter and secure to the trailer sidewall. I'm just finding it hard to believe a travel trailer in Florida wouldn't have ever had an awning on it and 2) why, considering were talking sunny Florida, why anyone would buy a trailer lacking such an expensive accessory. :h It's one thing to buy a used trailer and later discover the fridge is faulty, especially for a newbie, but it's pretty hard to miss the fact the trailer doesn't have an awning. :R

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
In looking at my awning, it appears the key is to connect the side arm brackets into part of the structure, and not just the side panels.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
MandKJohns wrote:
So currently my TT does not have an awning installed on it. I know come summer time I will want some extra shade outside. Is it difficult to install an awning? Any special hardware or tools I will need?

It's a 25' Dutchmen TT for what it's worth.

Since you are in Florida. I found the mobile RV Repair guys are THE most economical way to have an awning replaced and/or installed.

I lost mine in a tornado. And RV Mobile Repair had it replaced in last than an hour AND I couldn't have bought the materials for the price I paid to have them order one, pick it up and replace it!!

There are soooo many RV'ers in Florida and many RV mobile repairs so to be competitive their prices are REAL affordable to have work done right where you are at on your RV. I have ALL my maintenance and repairs done by RV Mobile Repair now. Can't beat their prices and the convenience of not haveing to leave your RV for days for repair is priceless to me.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

sele
Explorer
Explorer
try looking at a youtube video installing an awning on my rv this should give you a lot of information
scott

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
MandKJohns wrote:
No it does not look as if it has ever had an awning. There is what looks like a gutter running down the TT. If that's the awning rail then yes it has one.

Though not impossible it's unusual for a travel trailer to never have had an awning mounted to it but certainly if it did it would have a rail. Gutters and rails aren't the same thing, sometimes separate, sometimes integrated, these being examples ... pics of your trailer would help identify just what you have.

MandKJohns
Explorer
Explorer
No it does not look as if it has ever had an awning. There is what looks like a gutter running down the TT. If that's the awning rail then yes it has one.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
MandKJohns wrote:
So currently my TT does not have an awning installed on it.

The question is - did this trailer ever have an awning and if so - manual or power? make / model? If the answer is it did previously have an awning then it would only make sense to install the same type. If it never did have an awning does it have an awning rail? - if not, you'd have to add one.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have an awning rail available where you want to install it?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fairly easy to do. It does need two people to slide it on the top rail. From there on locating the arm mounting points and bolting them in place and a few adjustments and your ready to camp.