cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED Bulb Replacement for Taillamp - Possible Snag

springoflife
Explorer
Explorer
I intend to replace the 1157 bulbs in the rear of my camper with LED's. The 1157's aren't very bright, especially in sunlight. And when turning, the delay for when the brighter filament actually illuminates is so long, that it barely appears to blink. LED's are "instant on". (I have tried different "powered" converters, checked that my grounding is okay, etc.)

The general rule is to use LED's that are the same color as the lens -- in this case, red. So I did a lot of research, and found what I believe will cure both problems.

But it raises a new concern. The red tail lens on the left-side of the camper has a small clear spot underneath. The intent is to shine a little bit of white light downward, onto the license plate. Now that the LED bulb inside will be red, will that cause an issue? I think it will give the Plate a soft, red glow at night; which could be mistaken for not being illuminated at all. If a state trooper happens to be driving behind me, will I get pulled-over?
9 REPLIES 9

Nuke-E
Explorer
Explorer
Before you buy LED "bulbs", consider replacing the whole light housing if you can. There are a few reasons for this:
First and foremost, you'll get better performance, and have a sealed light assembly that should last a long time.
It'll look better, with new lenses and probably a sharper look.
LED bulbs don't have the same light output characteristics as the bulb you're replacing. The LEDs might seem brighter at certain angles, but may (likely will) fail to meet the photometric requirements in FMVSS108. At the very least, you'd need to add a separate license plate light--it's required to be a white light, with a number of requirements regarding intensity and beam pattern. Will you ever get pulled over for this? More than likely not. Could you be? Sure.

If you can, post (or send me directly) a picture of the lights you have now. I work in the lighting business, and might be able to point you in the direction of a suitable replacement.
2004 Showhauler on Volvo VNL chassis
2005 Mazda 6s 5-door MTX

RVnerds.com

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its cheaper to go to your local truck stop (Flying J?) and buy the entire assembly and just replace the ones on your trailer. They have many different kinds and sizes all with good LED systems already in them.

msb1766
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced mine with these:
http://commandelectronics.com/product/surface-mount-led-tail-lights-upgrade-kits/

springoflife
Explorer
Explorer
The 1157 LED replacement bulbs I bought cost more than the entire Optronics assemblies in Choochooman's link. Guess I should've went that route.

The light/lens assembly is similar in style to the Optronics, but is not exactly it:
http://kcatalog.kellermarine.com/kcatalog/details.php?ProdClass=Lights&ITEM=3204576&MfrNum=30150

At this point, I like GordonThree's advice about gluing a white LED to shine on the License Plate. I can tap into the "marker" and "ground" wires inside the housing.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
springoflife wrote:
Sorry if my description of the issue was confusing:

The LED's are bright, and are very expensive.

The turn signals do not flash slowly. The incandescent 1157's actually can't keep up. When flashing, they behave like this - By the time the brighter element is lit, It's time to turn off again. My tow vehicle doesn't flash particularly fast, either, about 1.4 flashes per second with a 50% duty cycle.

My camper (a pop-up) has the same taillights as Choochooman's Roo. Look at the LH lens. See the white light coming from underneath, illuminating the License Plate? Mine will be red,and I wanted to make sure that won't cause any legal issues.

GordonThree, thanks for the reassurance.

If they are indeed Optronics, I would ditch the bulbs, and order a set of lights, and swap out the insides.

Optronics Lights Like ChooChoo's

Here are some Image Links to my Install.

Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

springoflife
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry if my description of the issue was confusing:

The LED's are bright, and are very expensive.

The turn signals do not flash slowly. The incandescent 1157's actually can't keep up. When flashing, they behave like this - By the time the brighter element is lit, It's time to turn off again. My tow vehicle doesn't flash particularly fast, either, about 1.4 flashes per second with a 50% duty cycle.

My camper (a pop-up) has the same taillights as Choochooman's Roo. Look at the LH lens. See the white light coming from underneath, illuminating the License Plate? Mine will be red,and I wanted to make sure that won't cause any legal issues.

GordonThree, thanks for the reassurance.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
springoflife wrote:

But it raises a new concern. The red tail lens on the left-side of the camper has a small clear spot underneath. The intent is to shine a little bit of white light downward, onto the license plate. Now that the LED bulb inside will be red, will that cause an issue? I think it will give the Plate a soft, red glow at night; which could be mistaken for not being illuminated at all. If a state trooper happens to be driving behind me, will I get pulled-over?

I have that setup, and haven't had a problem over the last few years, covered a lot of miles too.

don't worry about it IMHO

If it really bugs you, you can get a small white led strip and glue it inside the housing, so it sorta shines out that window.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Your signals blink so slow because you have a heavy duty flasher....probably.
A standard flasher, or an electronic one would probably "fix" that; electronic would be best.

Good LEDs that make MORE light than an incandescent are really expensive, especially in a dual element configuration.

Put "halogen 1157" into your favorite search engine.
That might be a better route to go for raw brightness.

And yes I think a red license plate light might be a problem.

Is your "camper" a TT or self-propelled ?

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
I would research a bit more. The LEDs I installed on my Jeep are bright. And they have since made brighter.
LEDs on my CRD at night

On my camper, I replaced the guts of the tail lights with the LED version of the same light. That way, I didn't have to reseal them.
2015 Roo LED and Safety Upgrades.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized