cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lights Out

cs2kplus
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced all the exterior amber and red camper lights in front and rear. When I plug into my truck...none work. The porch lights and tail lights work fine. I wired everything exactly was it was with new lights. Each light has green on one side and white on the other. The bulbs have 2 black leads. Is it possible they are flipped? There is no marking +/- that would make me think they polarity matters. I am thinking it does not. What have I done wrong? If one light has a bad connection - is it like the Griswald scenario and none work? :?
27 REPLIES 27

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a high resistance short circuit somewhere.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

cs2kplus
Explorer
Explorer
ok.....checked my truck. A 15 amp fuse was out. I replaced. The lights all came on - for 5 seconds - and out they went. Fuse was blown. Just like Clark. If it was Xmas I'd be kicking some lawn ornaments. One thing to not...I only had one fuse left to use. It was one that had a "z" element in it as opposed to the more robust looking one I replaced. But...its rated for 15 amp nonetheless - so should not matter. Whats going on? Why would they light - then blow a fuse? Too much juice being outputted? Bad ground? looks like I'll need a buch of 15 amp fuses testing this.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like you have a short somewhere and the fuse in the truck blew before any lights came on. I would go back to each light and check the wiring and also the fuse in the truck.

2000_Kiwi
Explorer
Explorer
The lights are wired in parallel not series... So you won't have the Griswald Christmas light issue where one light goes out they all go out.

What is strange is that all the lights you installed are not working. These are marker/park lights and would be powered from the wire harness that plugs into the truck. If one or two lights did not work I would say they are bad or installed incorrectly. Since none of the lights are working I would start by checking the source. As others have mentioned, get a test meter and start at the plug that goes from the trailer to the truck. First check voltage between "Pin 1" and "Pin 4". Then check for voltage between "Pin 1" and "Pin 3". Of course make sure the headlights are turned on the tow vehicle while testing with the meter.

If no voltage found, look for a blown fuse in the tow vehicle. What year, make and model truck?

If you have voltage there... Then check for voltage at one of the lights you installed.

cs2kplus
Explorer
Explorer
I will have to go out and check all connections.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
You will have to figure out if there is voltage at the connection to the lights. If not, where does the power stop. A voltmeter or a test light would work. If you have one of the old lights that is good you could use that as a test light. The first step is to determine that the test light is good.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

cs2kplus
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-lights/11581.htm

cs2kplus
Explorer
Explorer
I am pretty surer its 12V. Does not really say. Looks identical with same bulb as original.

Lights

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Welcome to RV.net!
The center point on the lamps should be the 12 volt source. If you bought the small plug in type fixture, it should not matter.
The porch light should be connected to the TT battery.
There should be a junction box under the tongue of the trailer. Check there for problems.
What is the clearance lights using for ground? Some rigs use the metal skin as the ground return.
What is make and model of TV, TT and lights you are using?
Some TVs have individual fuses to power turn signals and taillights. Some have the fuses under the hood.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I would measure the voltage at the lights. You did use 12 volt lights?
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
Any chance you got 24v clearance lights instead of 12v?
Roaming Full Timer

cs2kplus
Explorer
Explorer
Not led.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Did you put in LED's? They are diodes. They only work in one direction. Try changing the leads on just one and see if it works.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel