cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof Repair - where to start?

basalt
Explorer
Explorer
Hello - my neighbors just bought a new RV and are getting rid of their TT. It is a Skyline Corp Funtime. It needs some work, but looks like it has potential and they said they could give me a good neighbor discount ๐Ÿ™‚ We don't plan this to be a long term project, just to see if we'll use it enough to buy a newer one.

So my first and main concern is the roof. Luckily it looks like it is one piece aluminum. The roof is warped and moves a lot (see vid) and as you can see in the pics a lot of work to be done to seal around everything.

Could this be as simple as scrap off the old junk and reseal/monstaline or something? Inside looks good, but there is some discoloration in the roof in one place, but the roof looks straight inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3WiloIw3T0

You can see a little discoloration at the top left of this image, but I'm not certain if it is from water or not:

Thanks for any advice!
21 REPLIES 21

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Clicky.

That was a great video (thanks for sharing) and should be mandatory viewing for anyone thinking of buying a used RV.

Also anyone that owns an RV and doesn't go up on their roof should watch this.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

basalt
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again all. Even after getting a fortune cookie this weekend that says "You will find hidden treasures where least expected" I decided this isn't the trailer for us. I think we will just rent one a couple weekends if we really need to test if we want a trailer or not!

๐Ÿ™‚

Video is fixed, but I don't think it shows much since I didn't know how hard to push at the time. This video has opened my eyes, especially the end when he is on the roof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx0SPexRHgo

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
It all depends on the amount of funds you have and how handy you are at restoring it to a useable RV. If you have the funds and skills it would be a good project to restore it but if you don't ... then
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with westend that if you can get it for the right price it's repairable. If the appliances work, the rest of the repairs are more time consuming than costly. Go through the trailer and use any issues to beat them down on the price. Push on the outside walls to see if there is any give (rotted studs) and push on the ceiling. My guess is there's a good deal of rot with the roof being that neglected, but there's really nothing in a trailer that can't be fixed.

I'd assume, based on the lack of maintenance it also needs brakes and bearings in addition to tires, but they're fairly cheap if you plan to do the work. This is how we got into our trailer and it was a good (and sometimes frustrating) project. If you're looking for a project go for it.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

6845ct
Explorer
Explorer
I walked away from a 5th wheel with less roof damage. I agree with others...free is to much. This TT has not been properly taken care of....called a money pit. You can put all monies invested into something decent with a lot less labor and problems.

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
Step one is to take the side moulding off and lift up the roof. Then you can look at what is going on.

If you are as off your rocker as I am, you will then repair the damage you find. Considering the condition of what you showed us, I expect that all the plywood has to come off the roof. IF you find that the framing is salvageable, you can treat it all with clear penetrating epoxy sealant (CPES). That will both strengthen what is left and kill any mold or fungus that settled in. Then you re-skin the roof and re-adhere the aluminum.

You absolutely should understand what everyone is saying. DO NOT pay for that rig. It should be free, or it should go to the scrap yard. I would ONLY consider a repair if everything else in the rig was in good shape and the engine was totally healthy.

I foolishly paid for mine and put in hundreds of hours rebuilding the cabover. I cannot emphasize enough how big a project that old rig looks to be.

Cabover rebuild thread

Jose

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Your video doesn't display, it says it's "private." Clicky.

I'm also always up for a challenge, and the saving grace on this project is it has an "all aluminum roof" (make 100% sure first.) But, not being able to see how bad the roof moves (or your interpretation of it) is a real show stopper.

If the roof is moving it is telling me that the structure is unsound and you will have to do a complete tear apart and rebuild before it can move. Now if all you need is a hunting shack, then just doing the roof repair is still a good possibility
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Welcome to the Forum...
You wrote: "they said they could give me a good neighbor discount. "

FREE would be too much money.
They should pay you to haul it away.
If you need a project, why not mow the lawn or plant a garden.

Seriously, the above advice you have gotten about "running" is good advice.

This.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Get someone to come and test for mold. They even sell DIY mold test kits. It may look worse than it really is. It looks pretty bad but who knows.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

basalt
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
I don't know....
If you already have an RV in good condition, it might be a piece of junk but if you don't have anything to camp in it may be a godsend.

I appreciate everyone's input! Westend summarized my current sentiment well, but you all have help me realize what it is probably really worth. If they can sell it for anything they should, otherwise I will probably take it off their hands.

I will take a closer look inside when I can. I don't need or want a project, but I can rebuild any of the mechanical stuff myself to make it safe and am willing to, to see if the family really wants to go this route.

I have no desire to rebuild the interior though. If it is not a health hazard we would just leave it be. Heck, the way this winter in California is going it probably doesn't even matter if it had a roof! ๐Ÿ˜‰

_en_Plain_Air_
Explorer
Explorer
It's a disaster waiting for a place to happen. If you have $500 and money for all the repairs, it might be better to buy a good family tent.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
IF it is only the roof then maybe a good deal, IF it is free.

Remember deals involving money between friends(or family) often wind up going south along with the friendship.

How are the walls? Mushy? Solid? Can they hold a screw? What about the floor? Soft spots? Mildew smell? Carpet or linoleum? Plumbing? Will it hold 60 psi? Axles? Spring hangers? Bearings? Brakes? etc. etc.

If you like spending your time fixing stuff then it might be worth it to you. Maybe 30yrs ago I would have tackled that project, not today. I use to rebuild my car transmissions and motors, now I sell them as junk if they need a rebuild.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, even for free I would be concerned at the amount of mold that might be inside the roof cavity. If the roof vent has been missing a while then even more moisture has gotten inside. A leak is the most devastating maintenance item on an rv. If your handy then I guess give it a go, but don't be surprised if you end up junking it at your expense.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Run Forrest Run.
bumpy