cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

surge protector

boingram
Explorer
Explorer
...i am going to purchase a 50 amp surge protector from progressive...debating portable or hardwired...i will do the install and concerned abt the warranty for my new grand design solitude 369....any thoughts on port vs hardwired. ..thx...bo
18 REPLIES 18

RVJimofOregon
Explorer
Explorer
spike99 wrote:
Hardware Install for me as well.

But is install space was impossible, I'd go portable instead.

I use a chain and padlock so it will not walk away when camping.
Jim & Joyce
Central Oregon Coast

26 foot 2004 Komfort travel trailer
2014 Platinum Tundra pickup

Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents,โ€œIt was loaned to you by your childrenโ€
Indian proverb

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't cut the wire on any hardwired installation if at all possible. I would buy a short 3-5 ft length of appropriate wire, unhook shore cord, put new wire onto appropriate lugs, hook to surge guard, hook original wire to surge guard. then could easily convert back to stock condition for sale.
bumpy

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
f the surge protector fails, you just unplug it and plug the range cord into the outlet. If you change Rv's , you can take this set up with you.
Good plan.

My PI HW50C plan: Hasn't failed in 11 years so I haven't used the bypass switch. It's now in my second rig and can easily be moved to a third. Being able to see the voltage, amps and faults inside is a plus for me.

The HW50C in my rig cost $0, yup nothing, nada. OK it did cost some bucks in the first rig and within months protected me from 160V and so paid for itself many time over that day alone.

Both of my installations were adjacent to the ATS and did not involve cutting any wires. ie Remove the HW50C and the rig is back to the factory setup.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Get a hardwired Progressive unit. You only have to handle it one time. Once its installed you never have to mess with it again vs. installing a portable each and every trip.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Hardwired with remote!
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
By going to Home Depot, you can buy a 50 amp outlet box and a 50 amp range cord plug and mount the portable surge protector in your electrical compartment. It remains always hooked up for convenience and is secured in your compartment to prevent theft. You disconnect your power cord from the transfer switch and wire the range plug to the transfer switch. You then wire your power cord to the 50 amp outlet box. You then plug your potable surge protector in between these items. You can also secure all these components in your compartment. If the surge protector fails, you just unplug it and plug the range cord into the outlet. If you change Rv's , you can take this set up with you.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

spike99
Explorer
Explorer
Hardware Install for me as well.

But is install space was impossible, I'd go portable instead.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
I wouldn't want a hard wired one if it didn't have a bypass feature.
bumpy

The PI hard wired unit with the remote digital display has a bypass switch.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went the portable route. It's easy to just test the electric before doing anything else. I secure it with a cable & lock to discourage casual five finger hike. But, in over 25 years of camping, we haven't had anything walk.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine is hardwired and I like it. One less thing to remember when setting up or breaking camp.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hardwired. Took longer to route the remote cable than install the base unit. Sure glad I have the remote.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Hardwired here as well. WOuld not be without it, picked up a number of mis-wired posts over the years. Can't see as how it would have any effect on your warranty status.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Odd man out.....went portable

Due to installation constraints, otherwise would have done hardwire model.

7 yrs of FT travel and 1000s of CGs never had a worry/concern about it growing feet. But then again----if I had concerns probably wouldn't have been staying there in first place.

No not in LA-LA land----thieves are everywhere.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
X2 or X3 or X4 on installing a hardwired unit.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)