cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Would Roof Carpet to Cool RV?

mondotiki
Explorer
Explorer
Would carpet on our trailer roof help keep it cooler on high temperature days? Or will it just create problems? My wife wants to make this addition, but I think it will be bad for the RV.
19 REPLIES 19

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
maybe cover the roof wit solar panels?
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have carpet on my ceiling inside the MH and I think it provides a degree of insulation. I would use Bus Coat, solar extreme or one of the many other acrylic white roof coatings. Some have micro balloons in the acrylic that is suppose to insulate as well as reflect.

Trlrboy
Explorer
Explorer
I would remove the existing roof and cover the entire thing with mirrors.
2010 Montana 3400RL
Chevy 2500HD Duramax

PHOTOLINK

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
It might make it quieter and warmer during winter but it is a half thought in progress. I would have one of the roof coatings put on the outside. i don't remember names. It would reflect heat and you wouldn't possibly have to worry with resealing seams every two years.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just a guess but I think most park owners would be thinking about their water bill when they saw that.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about a water mister set up?

I know of a house that has water misters on the roof.........I bet it works well.......
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
TXcampingfamily wrote:
Here is an interesting system. I also found this one.

WOW a whole other level of "GADGETS" for the RV ... WHO WOULD HAVE THUNK!! It never ceases to amaze me what people will come up with and be able to sell us RV fanatics. Of course they are laughing all the way to their daily trip to the bank to deposit our hard earned $$$ while on vacation at their "PRIVATE ESTATE" in the Bahamas!.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Tell her you'll put it up there if she's willing to keep it vacuumed.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

TXcampingfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Here is an interesting system. I also found this one.
Gin & Mike + 2 TD (tax deductions)
2009 Fleetwood Fiesta Bunkhouse
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
keep in your head SHADE, and air flow, that will drop the temp several degree,s.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
In the short term probably yes if it is white carpet.

In the long probably way more problems than it's worth:
- Wet carpet will add a lot of weight up high where you don't want it.
- It will likely breed mold and mildew.
- It likely won't stay white for long and as soon as it turns a dark color, I suspect, the cooling advantages will turn against it.
- It will make roof sealing much more difficult in the future.

Now if you could build a frame with some sort of tarp a few inches above the roof, you might have a winner but even that comes with complications:
- You would almost have to have some sort of roller mechanism to stow it for travel.
- How would it pass over the A/C, antenna and other items on the roof without conflicting.

Reality is, it's probably more trouble than it's worth for the small amount of energy savings. If your A/C is having trouble cooling, probably easier to find a shaddy site.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting thought about cooling. How about a reflective plastic tarp, that could be suspended above the roof to create a layer of air between the roof and tarp. Perhaps foam pool noodles to elevate the tarp to allow air flow below?
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
It would cause more trouble than it would fix. Look into a second a/c or try Bear's idea. But make sure that coating is safe for your roof type. Insulation would need to go under the roof not on top and I doubt the R Value of a carpet would amount to much.

I've seen someone say that a portable a/c works well as a second:

portable a/c

The guy using it is a gate guard in west Texas.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

mondotiki
Explorer
Explorer
I know one of the car ports would be the most ideal, but we don't have that option. We are looking at putting it on the outside roof top. Just like a couple mentioned, I am concerned with the weight and the mold issue.