cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

13,500 or 15,000btu?

RedGATitan
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I are looking to add an A/C unit to the bedroom of our fiver to supplement the 15k we have in the living area. I have seen where mostly smaller units are added to this location, but after looking around I have found a great deal on a 15k unit with a heat pump. I know oversizing can and will cause issues in the sticks and bricks, but not sure the difference in a 13.5 and 15 is great enough to make a difference in a 36 foot fiver. The unit will mainly be used during the day to keep everything nice and cool, and only at night if necessary. Thoughts are appreciated.
2003 F-250 PSD 4X4
2013 Outback Sydney 331 FRK
10 REPLIES 10

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Our non ducted low profile 15k/heat pump has its own thermostat in the bedroom.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
We added a 13k low profile plus heat pump to our 32' Cameo. Also have trouble reading the dial for the controls. Works well. We spend the summer in Colorado, so don't really need. Fall and spring in Texas we need the second unit..
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
texasclarks wrote:
Not basing on experience, but you would also want to consider the power draw that the 15K over 13.5K would have on the shore power. I would just try to figure out what additional amperage it would have on your 50A hookup...probably negligible, but something worth considering.

The way they are normally wired 1 A/C unit will be on each leg so they each will have plenty of power.

We put a 15k non ducted heat-pump in our bed room. Works fine but a little hard to see and read the controls over the bed.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

RedGATitan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. Looks like we will be going with the 15k. Overall height should not be an issue as the main unit is almost at the peak of the roof and the unit I'm looking at is a tad shorter than it. So height should only increase an inch or two at the most. Also the draw of the new unit will be a full amp lees than the 13.5k unit I was looking at and it will also be about 20lbs lighter.
2003 F-250 PSD 4X4
2013 Outback Sydney 331 FRK

texasclarks
Explorer
Explorer
Not basing on experience, but you would also want to consider the power draw that the 15K over 13.5K would have on the shore power. I would just try to figure out what additional amperage it would have on your 50A hookup...probably negligible, but something worth considering.
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 ('02 & '07)
'04 Suburban 2500, Quad Seats, 8.1L, 3.73
'09 Rockwood 8313SS

Texas not just a State, but a State of mind!

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We have a non ducted low profile 15k btu with heat pump in our bedroom. That heat pump came in handy when our furnace went out. And it seems much more efficient than the heat pump tied to the furnace. Works at lower temps.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

HEH458
Explorer
Explorer
Better to have to much than not enough.

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Have you ever owned a car with too much power? Neither have I...one can always throttle back. Go for the 15k!
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

crickeydog
Explorer
Explorer
We have two 15K ducted a/c's in our 30' 5'er. When it's hot outside, I want to be cool. Go with two 15K a/c's. More cool isn't a bad thing when you need it. I've never heard outselves complain because our 5'er cooled off too quickly on a 100 degree day.

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!:)
USAF RETIRED 02/1992
DOD RETIRED 04/2014

D/W US GOV/DOJ/DEA RETIRED 10/2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRESIDENTIAL 30' SCD 5'ER

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have always had the 13 btu in the bedroom. I do not think the difference in btu would be that much of a concern.Then again it would make a difference if it was ducted to the entire camper or not. I would how ever be concerned on what the total height of your trailer hooked to truck will be. Most bedroom ACs are of the low profile model to keep over all height down.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly