cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

16" LT tires now a subframe lift? UPDATE Subframe complete!

wuhungsix
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE: pictures of subframe on page 4!

So I originally created a post on upgrading 15โ€ ST tires to 16โ€ LT tires (https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27525229.cfm) and finally got around to doing this on my 2014 Forrest River Palomino Puma 259RBSS fifth wheel.

I went with BFGoodrich Commercial TA LT215/85r16 on 16โ€ steel Dextar wheels. Old tires were Akuret ST225/75r15. I have plenty of clearance between the two tires but have about 1โ€ of clearance on the rear axle from the top of the tire to the darco materiel on the underside of the trailer. I was going to drive it around town to see if and how much it may rub but have not had the time yet.

Now my trailer has never been level with my 2012 Ram 3500 SRW. It has come up a little with the added 1โ€ in height on these BFGs compared with the old STs. But Iโ€™m sure Iโ€™m going to need more clearance with these new tires.

SO I have two options that I can tell,
LPI Correct Track which gains 2โ€ or a full sub-frame build. I got a local quote for the Correct Track installed ($925) and another for a full sub-frame build ($750). Iโ€™m obviously leaning to the Sub-Frame build as itโ€™s going to be sturdier if built correctly as well as cheaper. I initially wanted to tackle the Correct Tract install myself but donโ€™t feel comfortable supporting the trailer up.

My question is, does anyone here run with similar (1-2โ€) clearance between tires and underbelly without any issues? I have a short camp trip in a few weeks and may not have time to get the sub-frame build done in time. Wondering if I can make it there and back or if itโ€™s a bad idea. Itโ€™s about 250 miles back and forth on standard CA highways.

Here are some pictures of the new tires and wheels,
New and old tires side by side

New LT on left and old ST on right

Both new LTs installed

Old OEM ST set up

Clearance between wheels,
LT

ST

And how the trailer sits mounted with truck on old ST (no current pictures with LT tires)
61 REPLIES 61

greende
Explorer
Explorer
Nice Job!!
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

wuhungsix
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to add this last pic I took this afternoon.

I measure it from the ground to the undercarriage at the front and back and it's off and inch sloping to the rear bumper.

wuhungsix
Explorer
Explorer
Yea I'm definitely going to need some blocks for the stabilizers. Or maybe another pack of leveling blocks.

I already bent my bumper mounted spare tire coming off a driveway on a dump. I think it should be all good now.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Now how are you going to drag the rear corners on gas station entrances which have The World's Steepest Approaches because hardly any vehicles use them ...:) ?

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good, and I don't think you will have any problems with it. But don't forget to take 6" of blocks for your rear stabilizers, and maybe some timber to go under the landing gear. Oh and a stool for the step!
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

wuhungsix
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
With the three cross tubes forming a complete new carriage setup for the axles, how it is attached to the trailer should be just find. This carriage assembly has the required strength within it's shelf, and relives the I-Beams from a lot of the forces. Looks like they did nice work. Cost?

$750.

wuhungsix
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
I like the way that was done. You won't have any issues in my opinion. I am surprised to not see any corroplast belly cover.

I don't have a belly cover because this is a economy (aka low end) entry level trailer. Not a whole lot of bells and whistles in my rig. Still lover her though.

wuhungsix
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
It does look like a nice job and it made me think where can you jack it up for a tire change?

chevman

I would think you can just jack where you normally would. Under the axles at the spring hanger.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
It does look like a nice job and it made me think where can you jack it up for a tire change?

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well for some that has experienced cracks in the web of their I-Beam and had it repaired, I think I have enough experience to say it looks pretty good. We did gusset the cross tube to the hangers on my repair that I pictured near the beginning of the thread. However this is a much lighter trailer and should do just fine. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks great to me! It is custom work so everyones opinion is just that... an opinion. You get to be the road tester! Fine craftsmanship.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

Poppy_s_5th_Whe
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, obviously lot's of educated engineers on this forum. Cool

I just stayed at a Holiday Inn myself. Heck, I've heard of many instances of spring hanger failure on these rig,s without any additional stress. Personally I wouldn't risk additional stress on an oem application with something it wasn't designed for without shoring it up. I'm not referring to the new cross members as those do nothing to help the actual oem hanger connections to the frame. Maybe if the fabricator had replaced the oem hangers with the stout hangers he added to the new sub-frame that would have made me more comfortable.

Again, just my uneducated observations. YMMV
Paul "Poppy" Cervone
2016 GMC Summit White Denali 3500HD SRW CC/SB
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS

P_Kennedy
Explorer
Explorer
The original I beam frame took the stress of the original 6 points of suspension without any detrimental effects and now the same 6 points are mounted to a sub-frame. With the new sub-frame made from box tube it will be stronger and absorb all of the cross torqueing of the springs when turning and less prone to twisting. The sub-frame will also spread any torque evenly to the original mounts unlike the axles in turns.
2007 Triple E 305RL
2007 Dodge C&C 9' Falcan Deck

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:
wuhungsix wrote:
I may go back to him to have him relocate my spare from rear bumper to underbelly. Maybe I can have him add some gussets.

JMO but you shouldn't need gussets since he welded the cross bracing in. That keeps the tubes from rolling. Very cleaver idea. Time saver as well. Looks like he painted it with some Rhino liner type coating. Whoever did the job for you knows his stuff.

The cross bracing keeps the sub frame tubes from rolling, but with increased leverage on the I-beams, there is nothing additional to keep them from rolling.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos