cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

38.5 foot too big to take cross country?

jts140
Explorer
Explorer
We are about to purchase a 36 Montana, which is actually 38.5'. We plan to travel the nation. Worried about it being too big.. Would like to stay in national parks if available, but not opposed to private rv parks. Anyone out there with similar size that could give some advice..
Thanks
29 REPLIES 29

SKGCRD
Explorer
Explorer
I would not stress over the size, if you cant find a spot that works then you find another either by phone or the internet. Been up and down the West coast with my old 40 footer and I only had issues a with one private campground.
2007 Mega Cab 5.9 Cummins (stock) 48re (built)
Air lift
Soon to be 2014 Silverback 37BH
Tri-Glide P3

Greentow
Explorer
Explorer
Been across the states (north side), twice and no problems. Have not stayed in any National Parks, but several State parks. My "36 foot" Cedar Creek is 39 foot and a couple inches, then I added the carrier rack to the back, now about 42'.
2012 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS (loaded). Mrs Greentow & Missy & Maggie, Shih Tzu's with an attitude. USA(R). 30+ years in the Fire/EMS service, GS Life member.
TV is a 2012 RAM 5500 Quadcab with body by Eby (flatbed). Cummins 6.7 with 6 speed auto.

Jim4929
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 36 ft and have been out west and to Alaska with no issues using this site. It is the one that I use more than any other site. RV Reviews It provides reviews from our fellow travelers, facilites available (including if they can handle big rigs),50/30 amp,pool etc phone numbers and a link to the campgrounds website. Also list cities in surrounding areas that have campgrounds.
2011 GMC 3500 Sierra Diesel SRW
B&W Patriot Hitch
5th Airborne Pin Box
Laredo 321BH

"Have Trailer, Will Travel"

jimwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Have towed a 37'fiver over 50,000miles including 3 long trip out west. Never a problem although you may be limited in some state of federal campgrounds due to length. We are spoiled and usually use private CGs with full hook ups. Just make sure you have a really good tow vehicle. That my friend is the key!!

captdave363
Explorer
Explorer
we have a 39 foot Heartland Landmark and traveled from Virginia as far west as Idaho, south to Vegas and back east across AZ, NM, TX, La and home. We were gone 2 months and stayed in private RV parks. We had no problems at all logging over 10k miles. Enjoy your trip!!! We certainly did.
2011 Ford F550 Crew Cab Classie Chassie Modified
2012 Landmark Grand Canyon
2003 Honda Turbo 4 stroke jetskis
1997 Parker 25 Sport Cabin w/Yamaha 250

billmac
Explorer
Explorer
Whether you can fit will always something you have to consider. There are many campsites within Federal Core of Engineer parks and Texas State Parks that can not accommodate my 35' fiver. My rv is also 13'6" tall and a couple of times a year I have to replace vents.

Most all private parks should not have a problem with your length. Many of those private parks have big rig long sites but they are so tight their like parking at Walmart at Christmas time.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
State and National Parks might sometimes be tight fits, not necessarily the length of the trailer, though you might find you'll have to park your TV elsewhere. National Parks seem big on this if the site is paved and the TV won't fit completely on the pavement with your trailer. The more rustic national or state campsites might be more trying for deploying the slides or your awning. They don't want the vegetation molested by the RV's. Private Park? Generally no problem.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go for it... just show up on Monday so there will be plenty of bigger sites.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
skipnchar wrote:
There is about a million trailers that length and longer traveling the highways every day. Just need the right tow vehicle and adequate driving skills

A million might be stretching the number a bit, but -

as "Dennis M M" posted - go to the Escapees MDT and HDT forums to view or chat with lots of folks who tow long/heavy trailers.

BTW - the listings for parks in the HH Resource Guide is a "work in progress" - meaning, it's not a commercial publication - members post the parks they have found which can accommodate longer trailers.
So - it's far from complete.

Medium Duty Truck Forum

Heavy Duty Truck Forum

MichiganTravele
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 38 foot Cameo and haven't had many problems finding a spot. Once in awhile we are too big for the sites (such as Acadia National Park), but we have generally found another campground nearby at a reasonable cost.

www.michigantraveler.org
Bob Wangen
Not all those who wander are lost!

srink
Explorer
Explorer
have 39' and been all over midwest south and east. Never had a problem other than Key west where we were very close with a very narrow street. took a lot of jockying around but got it in there. We stay mainly at places listed as RV Resorts. very few state parks. we normally make reservations and discuss the length.
our total length is 57-58 feet.
Condo on Wheels

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2006 Montana w3400 and now a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. Both were that long maybe a bit longer. We are in our 8th year of travelling the country. There will always be a park, State, Federal or Private that you will not fit into. Easy solution call ahead and ask the question.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Ive had a couple that were 38.5. Never had a problem. Bought a 32 ft. Camro, which we love The design is such that the shorter trailer has very good user friendly room. We live in it for 3 months in Colorado. The bedroom is a little snug as well as the shower. What im saying you really dont need a real long one if enterior is desiged well. However; it never bothered me pulling 38.5.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Imaroadrunnr
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking of Pressure Pros, every time I hitched up to go somewhere I would have to delete all of the stations (10) and reprogram the unit. I bought the Pressure Pros in '06 and the batteries in the individual units are still working. After a trip I usually take them off and store them in the truck so I guess that's why the units are still good. Apparently they only send a signal when they are on the tire valve. Pressure Pro gave me the idea to use White Out and number the units from the left front clockwise from 1 to 10. Just put them back on and hit the road! Oh, I bought 10 new ones a few years back so I have lots of spares.