cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5500 Onan Generator

AtvGal
Explorer
Explorer
Our generator is causing us some grief. One time you'll start it and it runs fine. Another time it will run very rough. Other times, it starts out running fine and then all of a sudden it dies. Any suggestions on cause and a fix? UPDATE: After it dies, you have to let it set for 15+ minutes before it will start back up and then it runs fine.
11 REPLIES 11

dedmiston
The OP thanks your all for your helpful suggestions and requested that we close the thread. Thanks everyone.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
After using the Seafoam, start running some non-ethanol gas in it, will start easier and run better.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
How old is the gas?
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
My 5500 was running rough but after a dose of seafoam it's smooth now.

AtvGal
Explorer
Explorer
He did check the oil level and it was fine. He just ordered the SeaFoam, so we'll give that a try. Thanks for all your input!

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
to the OP, you need an Onan manual, they're available on line. Read about the fault codes and follow the steps to see why it's shutting down. Could be fuel, could be low oil, could be a lot of things.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure the oil level is correct. Replace the generator fuel filter. Spray Seafoam into the carburetor intake while it is running.
Stop the generator snd allow it to sit for about an hour or two. Then try it again and see if there is an improvement.
Do the simple, easy things first.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Another vote for SeaFoam. It's the only "snake oil" that actually works.
My honda eu2000i ran terrible and was hard to start from the time I took it out of the box. Ran it for 6 hours with a half a can of SF and it was fixed. We've since used it on a few other things as well with great results.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is at the shop because the armature bearing failed and three replacements that Onan set the shop do not meet the engineering specs.

Brushes slip off the slip rings and voltage drops and throws weird codes.

Is yours throwing any codes?
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

Also recommend running some Sea Foam in it to help clean it up.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

Vw_triker
Explorer
Explorer
Check filter,