cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th Wheel or Tounge pull?

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
Why did you pick yours & what advantages do you see for one over the other?

I'm thinking the 5th wheel might be more stable being its weight is over the axle?

Might it be safer in the wind over a Tounge pull trailer?

My truck camper is just too small for us & I'm starting a trailer might be a good affordable option , compared to a motor home.

Not to mention I disconnect from the trailer & go sight seeing.
Vs flat towing like we do now if we planned to do a sight seeing trip.
1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.
34 REPLIES 34

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
TurnThePage wrote:
... I may not be able to do it quite as quick as those with fivers, but I've never dropped my trailer on my bed rails either. Watched that happen to an experienced old hand last year...
Or blown out the back window and put a big dent in the back of the cab - Saw that one this summer with a friend that has had a 5th wheel for about 15 years.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
TBammer wrote:
Is the under storage in the 5th wheel really more than a whole truck bed with cap?

No. The biggest downside to a fifth wheel is the loss of bed space, imo. You can gain it back in a FW toy hauler but not in a FW camper.

But on the flipside it gives you a shorter total package that tows nicer.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from General RVing
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I had a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup, I would have considered a 5'er. But, I wasn't going to trade in my current 2014 F150 HD w/ 3.5L Ecoboost for a larger pick-up.

So, I have a 2017 27' long (bumper to ball) TT. It gives us enough space inside plus it's short enough that very few camp sites would be too small for us.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
OK so what is more stable in High Winds?!?!?!?!
Thats my worst fears while on camping trips with my current TC.
It raises the COG much higher & those winds feel very scary!
With '85 Lance.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
For us it's the layout and the real queen size bed that decided a small 5th. Couldn't find a small TT that had a full size bed.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Now days, with backup cameras, hitching/unhitching is probably a wash. I may not be able to do it quite as quick as those with fivers, but I've never dropped my trailer on my bed rails either. Watched that happen to an experienced old hand last year. Travel trailers track truer behind tow vehicles too, which is usually an advantage, but not always. Travel trailers are almost always lower than fivers. No steps inside a travel trailer. They're cheaper too.

Fifth wheels, which are typically taller, offer an open, airy experience, much better (for me anyhow) on extended trips or full-timing. They have much more built in storage. They offer more interior living space foot for foot. More stable towing, especially in windy conditions so I'm lead to believe, and do.

As I age and consider longer adventures, fivers (and motor homes) get more attractive. But I'm still young enough to be bound to a job and like the idea of bringing toys (bikes/motorcycles/atvs/canoes/etc.). I also use my tow vehicle as my commute vehicle, and thus settled for a half ton. Totally unsatisfactory for towing a nice fiver.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Once again it is personal choice! My read is 5er has more storage and is roomier inside due to taller ceilings. Combine that with the basement where much of what would go in the bed of the TV. Many of the other items can also be delt with with a little out of the box thinking.
They naturally tow more stable than a TT, due to the physics of the connection directly over or slightly ahead of the rear axle.
Yes, they are taller, one needs to be aware of your height.

There are a few draw backs, it is four steps into our 5er.

We love ours and enjoy it.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

grantx5
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting read. We've always had TTs and always had a good time. I will admit our last one was a beast to tow, Salem 312QBUD, TV-Ram 2500 w/ Cummins, but we did okay.

When we decided to buy a new rig we looked at everything, literally. We wanted a shorter rig so we could get into state parks, etc. In the end we decide to buy another TT, Arctic Fox 25Y, because we loved the floor plan. The salesman then says, "Have you seen the Fox Mountain 235RL fifth wheel?" Guess what, it's exactly the same floorplan as the AF 25Y but much taller inside, really feels a lot roomier. And here's the rub, because it's a fifth wheel our overall length is much better (shorter).

Anyway, we love the new trailer and it does pull much better but NOT like some say, "I can't even tell it's back there." Believe me, it's back there and I drive accordingly.

Happy trails.
Jim, Lisa, and Hobbs (our dog)
'05 Dodge 2500 Laramie 325/610 CTD 48re
'17 Northwood Fox Mountain 235RL

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know that there are those that full-time in travel trailers but, for us, the living space and storage space we wanted - and the resulting weight - put us in fifth wheel territory. It's also much easier and faster to hitch up the fifth wheel than it was our TT with a weight-distributing hitch. Read the links 2oldman provided, too.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
For us it was purely a question of passenger capacity. We are a family of 5, and the prospect of long OTR trips with 3 kids across the back seat of a truck was not appealing. We went with a TT so that we could have the third row of seating.

That said, if we were 4 or fewer (and this is our plan once kids are out of the travel picture), we'd be FW all the way. More storage, easier tow, shorter over all length when hooked up, taller interior makes it feel more open, etc...

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
Blanco1 wrote:
TBammer wrote:
Is the under storage in the 5th wheel really more than a whole truck bed with cap?

But what if you don't wanna run a cap?
Then you have even more storage because you don't have to worry about it fitting under the cap.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had many tongue draggers, but not TTs, and I have had a couple 5th wheels. Its not necessarily a deal breaker, but I would much rather hitch up to a 5th wheel than a TT. Especially if doing so by myself. I would much rather back a 5th wheel than a TT, especially in a tight space or u turn.

A big advantage to a small TT is the ability to pull it without having a truck.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
TBammer wrote:

But what if you don't wanna run a cap?
With '85 Lance.

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch