cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th wheel to goose neck???

MJO21
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I just bought our first camper. 2002 R-Vision Trail Lite model 5281-S. We will be towing it with our dodge 1500... For now. I have been reading that converting from 5th to gooseneck will save some weight. More importantly I would rather not have to mess with the in and out of the hitch when i am using my truck for other things.

The 5th wheel has an aluminum frame. I have heard people who "think they have heard that you can not goose neck an aluminum framed camper?

What do you think?

Thanks, Mike
21 REPLIES 21

MJO21
Explorer
Explorer
Do you think the "ultra lite" would be safer. ( dry weight 5100lbs). Or be more dangerous because "ultra lite" is lighter therefore weaker?

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
see the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel hitch if you want to limit the impact on the FW
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Some (many?) manufacturers claim they will void the warranty if you use a gooseneck adapter as the frame is not designed for it. And undeniably it does put additional torque forces to the frame.
But many people do use them. And I do not remember ever reading that someone had a frame failure due to using one.
SO. Consider all info before you decide to chance it.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use it and you will likely be doing some frame repairs within a year or so.

Endricken
Explorer
Explorer
Investigate the STAR Performance Kingpin Adapter (Gooseneck).
Google it.
I've used one successfully since 2007.
Retired USAF
Silver 05 Dodge RAM LB CTD Dually 4Speed Auto SWD 3.73, Westin Sportsman Grill & Taillight Guards,Husky Mudguards, Retractable Ball Hitch, Onboard Air & Horns, MaxBrake - towing 2005 Keystone Montana Big Sky 3670 with Star Performance adapter

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think that the wheel frame is made of aluminum but rather steel. The walls are what are probably made of an aluminum frame construction.
I'm not crazy about goose neck hitches but if you like em you can use it.
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Most certainly your camper is not aluminum 'framed' but aluminum superstructured. The frame is steel. Check it with a magnet.
Using a goose neck adaptor on a rig designed for 5th wheel adds a lot of leverage to the frame. The pin box attachment frame is not designed for that added stress. Warranty will be voided.
It is a PIA to have a 5er hitch in the bed of the truck, but I feel it is offset by the ease of hook up.