cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Towmax victim

MO_Trout_Bum
Explorer
Explorer
Decided to take a winter camping trip over the weekend, and had a wonderful time. Except on the way home. About 30 minutes into the trip, left rear time blew a baseball sized hole in the top sidewall. Pulled over and changed to the spare (never been on the ground), and headed back out. 45 minutes later, the left rear tire (former spare) blew again... software sized hole in the same position. Called Good Sam roadside (scary/humorous experience there as well:E)and was back on the road with 2 new tires in a few hours. Thank heavens there was no damnage to the coach. Take away is, replace those POS Towmax tires as soon as you can. BTW, anyone have experience with Sotera? Assume it's another Chinese brand, but it's all the warehouse had. Will try to post some pictures/links of the first blowout. Hole is just left of 12:00 in the first picture and 5:00 in the second.

2004 Silverado 2500HD Ext, Duramax LLY, 4WD, 3.73
2012 Keystone Cougar 327RES
35 REPLIES 35

sail2liv
Explorer
Explorer
Our trail express tires original on new trailer are still full of air but the starboard rt side front and rear...are weather cracking near the bead...so have 4 maxxis arriving on Tues for Wed install.....the cracking is 4-6 inches long...
not worth taking a chance....they have never carried more than 80% of the max load and never have been under max tp sitting or rolling.....never have been abused by running over stuff....they have 8000 - 8500 miles on them...they have never sat still over 44 days....and that was only 3 times .... they have never been over 60 mph...98% of time they ran 56-58 mph.....no wear on the tread, the layup nubs are still a quarter inch long and lots of them on all the tires so they have like new appearance....they never have been exposed to sun for any period of time other than on the move....or on one night stays.....hope maxxis will give me more service than these, is not worth taking the chance when you see deterioration.....good luck to all....make that visual inspection .....

cbconway
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced the tires on my 3 week old fiver with a set of Goodyear Marathons, increasing the load range from C to D. No guarantees, but it evens the odds a bit and reduces my anxiety considerably. I see it as part of the purchase price.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati ("When all else fails, play dead") -- Possum Lodge motto

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie 4x4 CC SB Auto 3.42

Dan50
Explorer
Explorer
iawoody2 wrote:
After all the horror stories I replaced all 5 of mine shortly after we took delivery of our Sundance. Went with BFG Commercial TAs.

I did the same with same tires.
Dan
2014 Ram SLT CC LB 4X4 Cummins Dually
2018 Heartland Big Country 3950FB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
RustyJC wrote:
kennethwooster wrote:
A good rule. If your trailer has Chinese when you purchase it, you just need to add to the price new tires.

I agree and would only add that you'd better hope that the OEM tires last from the RV dealer's lot to the tire store.

Rusty

I have suggested to several people when negotiating the price for a new RV that has Chicom tires they wait until the deal has basically been done then say"I will sign if you install a quality set of US Made E or G rated tires". Depending on load what one. It has worked for the people I suggested it to.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Ford_Man
Explorer
Explorer
It should be against the Law for the RV or any trailer manufactures to use these cheap China Tires.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
MO_Trout_Bum wrote:
Decided to take a winter camping trip over the weekend, and had a wonderful time. Except on the way home. About 30 minutes into the trip, left rear time blew a baseball sized hole in the top sidewall. Pulled over and changed to the spare (never been on the ground), and headed back out. 45 minutes later, the left rear tire (former spare) blew again... software sized hole in the same position. Called Good Sam roadside (scary/humorous experience there as well:E)and was back on the road with 2 new tires in a few hours. Thank heavens there was no damnage to the coach. Take away is, replace those POS Towmax tires as soon as you can. BTW, anyone have experience with Sotera? Assume it's another Chinese brand, but it's all the warehouse had. Will try to post some pictures/links of the first blowout. Hole is just left of 12:00 in the first picture and 5:00 in the second.

If you want to prevent that from ever happening again, or at least reduce your chances to about 5%, go weigh your unit prior to deciding on what tires to replace with. Once you determine what rated tires you actually need, then you can do some research to determine what brand and price you want to find.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
And the tires were how old?:h
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Blowmax tire explode while on the spare tire carrier. Blew apart the tire cover. That tire had exactly 40 miles of use and was correctly inflated at the time it blew.

Blowmax are CR@P tires.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
kennethwooster wrote:
A good rule. If your trailer has Chinese when you purchase it, you just need to add to the price new tires.

I agree and would only add that you'd better hope that the OEM tires last from the RV dealer's lot to the tire store.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
A good rule. If your trailer has Chinese when you purchase it, you just need to add to the price new tires. It's not worth the risk. Ive done this more then once and always went to LT tires. I've used Maxxis as well as Michelin. It's not worth the chance of major damage to your rig.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Dandy Dan wrote:
Consider LT tires. Michelin owns BFGoodrich and Bridgestone. I had a set of BFG Commercial TA's but was fortunate enough to fall into a set of Michelin XPS. Liked them both. BFG Commercial TA is a cheaper tire than the XPS but was made well and heavy. Good Luck.

Michelin does not own Bridgestone. Bridgestone is part of the Bridgestone/Firestone group of companies.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
A 2012 bought in 2011. I'd guess those towmax tires date code 4-5 years.

netaq
Explorer
Explorer
At least the tires didn't completely disintegrate and rip up the fender well area. Luck 🙂
2016 Sierra 371REBH
2016 Ram 3500 Big Horn 6.7/Aisin

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Marathon, Maxxis or LT. Skip the Sotera.

Check that the tires will carry the full trailer GVWR or consider going up in size or load range as needed.

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin LT's all the way around, truck and trailer.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.