cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Levelers, Wheels off ground on one side

RRinNFla
Explorer
Explorer
Since acquiring a rig with auto levelers last year, most of my camping has been done in Florida, where sites tend to be pretty level. Recently, we camped in a pull-through site near a lake, where there was a significant downhill slope on the curb side.

By the time the auto-leveler finished, the curb side wheels were about three inches off of the ground. I took my lego blocks and built pyramids, and wedged them under the wheels. Since we were only at the site a couple of days, I left it like that, but I was worried that with no weight on the axles too much weight was being put on the gears that push down the the leveler legs.

I asked a neighbor if he thought that was too much weight on the levelers. He said not to worry, that is what they were made for.

So, I am looking for other opinions. What think ye?
Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4
42 REPLIES 42

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
On my Lippert 6pt system, no, the front landing pad(s) do not extend with the sides, when the front are up and the rear sides are extended manually. However, my system is 5 years old. Not sure if there has been a change.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

rkassl
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of comments and ideas here, I am not going to debate wheels up or not, but I do have a question for anyone who has more experience with the 6 point LevelUp system. One of the thread here answered a question for me how you would use the LevelUp to change a tire. I was told that if you press the right arrow, the curb side jacks operate, and the same for the left arrow. Ok, got that. If you are hooked up to the truck say for an emergency tire change for example on the left side, you press the left arrow and the left rear jacks operate, does the landing gear on the left also move? Just trying to understand this system, thanks!
2015 Montana 3440RL Legacy Edition
PullRite Super 5th 20K hitch
Morryde Pin Box
Dish Tailgater and King Tailgater Satellite Systems
2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW CC full bed

CWSWine
Explorer
Explorer
You want to lessen the rocking 5er in the wind just take some weight off the tires and won't rock near as much. Takes the suspension flex out and gives more solid stance.
2017 Discovery XLE 40 D DP
Sold Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Sold 2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Diesel 3722 CC
5er 13,600 - 3100 pin - Truck Weight 11380 Truck GVWR 11,500
Only 180 lbs below my trucks MAX GVWR

sheff69
Explorer
Explorer
drfife wrote:

Certainly there exist a tipping/balance point where a gust of wind can blow a trailer off the jacks when the wheels are raised off the ground.
All wheels on the ground is the most stable position anything less is a compromise to a strong enough wind.

I have a hard time believing this. The jacks are welded/bolted solid to the frame. The wind cannot blow them off the jacks as if they were set on blocks.
I once had all the wheels off and lived in the trailer for a week while I had hydraulic disks installed. I had no problem.
In fact the movement on the jacks was less once the wheels came off.

Sheff
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CTD 6 speed auto, 4.10 rear axle, 800 ft. lbs TQ.
30,000# GCVWR.
2011 Carriage Cameo 37RESLS, Kodiak Disks, 17.5" wheels, GY G114 tires, 17,500#.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Never lift the coach completely off the ground. Lifting the coach so the wheels are not touching the
ground will create an unstable and unsafe condition

Looks to me like this is a matter of interpretation. To me, it warns against using the leveling jacks to lift the entire RV ("the coach") off the ground such that NONE of the tires ("the wheels") are in contact with the ground - note the specific use of the word "completely". That certainly could create an unstable condition as only the jacks are restraining side-to-side and front-to-rear movement. Such is NOT the case if the wheels on only one side are lifted off the ground - the chocked high-side wheels serve to restrain such movement.

If you wish to interpret this to say that no wheel should ever be off the ground, that's your choice, but I don't read it that way.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
The OP asked for thoughts on the wheels off the ground scenario.
In the end they are different opinions. Some for, some against.
In the end there appears to be no consensus, just opinions.
If your owners manual says your OK to raise wheels you're good to go. If your manual says don't do it you are assuming the risk by doing so.
If you believe there is no risk or problem raise away.
If you prefer to always have wheels on the ground place support boards beneath the raised tires and you'll be fine
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
The main advantage (to me) of having the AutoLevel system is that I no longer have to spend time and effort leveling side-to-side using boards, etc. I've never had a problem using the AutoLevel system, low side wheels on or off the ground. If I do, I'll be sure and let everyone know.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
If you feel better with 4 tires contacting the ground, do whatever it takes to achieve it.

Some of us do not care. I've used my rig heavily for 3 1/2 years and we primarily camp at state parks with unlevel pads. I have no concerns or worries if two tires are off the ground.
Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in a situation where I was about 2" different side to side so I got out the Legos and built up a ramp for one side. I don't worry about being exactly level side to side as that's that the auto leveling is for but I do like having all 4 tires on the ground and being as solid as can be.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Mile High wrote:
I've hit several campgrounds where I end up with wheels off the ground. The only thing you have to watch, in addition to inadvertently flipping a shackle, is the bands around the leaf springs can loosen or pop off.

Another What if!
Truth is if you are observant you can often spot a wheel raising site and pull up on to boards the old fashion way to get things more in line before you begin to auto level

Sure I can spot them, but it wouldn't change the way I do it. I have autolevel that takes care of uneven sites and I don't care if the wheels are in the air. Some people like to take a good thing and make work out of it. Not me.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
drfife wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
drfife wrote:

If one side has tire contact to ground, the lateral movement in wind will be minimal.

Try again.

Less than ONE year ago to a member of this forum...his Solaire TT blew over at home in the drive way..with the wheels on the ground and the stabilizer jacks down...

The tremendous forces of aerodynamics can not be under-estimated...

I do envy the self leveling system though.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Like you said, even with all the stabilizers and tires on the ground the trailer flipped in extremely high winds. They would have met the same fate if one side of tires were off the ground.

The incident mentioned would have happened with or without the wheels being on the ground.
However if the RV can be moved with all wheels on the ground, Certainly there exist a tipping/balance point where a gust of wind can blow a trailer off the jacks when the wheels are raised off the ground.
All wheels on the ground is the most stable position anything less is a compromise to a strong enough wind. I agree at some point the wind will be strong enough to move the entire rig no matter what.However there is also a point where have all wheels on the ground will be more stable when in strong winds.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
steelpony5555 wrote:
I think the manufactures know that when you hit Auto Level that there will be a bunch of times you will have at least one side off the ground. If it was that serious of a thing I doubt they would put them on these rigs.

All they can do is tell you not to do it. As posted above Lippert states do not raise wheels off the ground. The end user has to be wise enough to follow the instructions.
I don't believe the sky will fall if the wheels are raised. Nevertheless I don't think having the wheels off the ground is a good thing. I avoid having the wheels off the ground and I alleviate the situation when it occurs.

RRinNFla
Explorer
Explorer
rkassl wrote:
Great info. Say I am new to the Lippert Level Up system, just got it last summer. Using the touchpad how do would you lift one side to change a tire? I would think you are in the manual mode, then what do you do?

Thanks!

I have never used mine to change a tire, but in manual mode, the right arrow raises both curb side legs, the left arrow raises both street side legs. To raise or lower a single leg, you have press two arrows at the same time.
Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

steelpony5555
Explorer
Explorer
I think the manufactures know that when you hit Auto Level that there will be a bunch of times you will have at least one side off the ground. If it was that serious of a thing I doubt they would put them on these rigs.
14 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
14 Chrysler 300
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)

Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!