cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bicycle rack recommendations

leftybj
Explorer
Explorer
Been camping several years in a travel trailer. Upgraded to a Montana 3160rl 5'er last fall. Wife wants a bike and I was looking for a high quality rack for the rear bumper. Do I need to reinforce the bumper to guard against flexing while going down the road? Thanks in advance for any info.
34 REPLIES 34

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
alexleblanc wrote:
Thomas/NH wrote:
alexleblanc wrote:
I went down this road last summer, installed a very rugged hitch setup. Mounted a Swagman rack on the back of our unit and both it and the bikes sustained damage on the first trip out. Mind you its a somewhat rough road, but still lesson learned. Bikes racks take a beating on the back of an RV.

So, you were driving through Pennsylvania were you? Honestly, I can't see how roads could get much worse... And this is from a native Vermonter. I just got back from a trip down south 4800 miles and Pennsylvania roads were so bad I had to pull over to see if my tires were still on the rims.

Living in Vermont, I have to agree PA highways are the worst. When we moved up, my DW was behind the moving van I was driving and called to tell me how funny the truck looked bouncing on I-81. I told her that she would stop laughing when she saw our belongings.
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
phillyg wrote:
I asked on delivery and was told the Monrana square bumper would support a bike rack. Forest River told me "no" for the Wildcat and a sticker on the bumper stated the warranty was void if anything was attached to it. I compared both bumpers and concluded the Montana's was better built. I installed a bolt-on receiver and a Thule bike rack. Two bikes with no issues.
Will the dealer pay you for the bikes if the bumper fails?

I don't understand with a 5er why more don't use a pinbox mount. So it is a bit more work to get the bikes to the rack, but they naturally bounce less, are in your view, and don't add to the length of the rig.

There is no best answer for bike racks. My last fiver I did the pin box mount, and it was ok, it's not the perfect solution. I didn't like the fact that the bikes take a beating from rain/bugs not to mention always had to stand on tailgate while someone handed me bikes.

Now when it's just my wife and I can take off the quick release wheels and put the bikes in the front compartment. No rain, bugs, theft, etc. it's a little more work in assembling the bikes (extra 5 minutes) but that's where I feel the safest with them and I can do it unassisted. Plus there isn't a receiver to fabricate and rack to buy.
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Brad_NSW
Explorer
Explorer
Simple guy...I store two, inside on the bed (right over the hitch). They stay cleaner and dryer. Yes, you do have to keep them clean (or lay a blanket over the bed). Our bikes are pretty expensive so I don't leave them exposed to the elements, bugs and road dust.

Glad kids are gone and we don't have to worry about where the extra 2 go. Usually took them apart and put them in the bed of the truck.
USN Ret. 03Ram3500, 5.9CTD, 5spd, SRW, ATS filter, S&B Intake, IssPro (Pyro, Boost, Fuel, Trans & R Dif) SMARTY SR, Prodigy Controller, AirDog 100. 09Montana 3665RE 5er, 6 TST Tire monitors. Pakbrake Ex brake & airbags, 12' Baltik inflatable w/3.3HP OBM

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Just a FYI that any of those bike racks where your bike hangs on the frame can subject the bike's finish to damage. So, if you have any bikes you really care for, do not buy a rack that you hang it on.
I love me some land yachting

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
Cider wrote:
Yakima has come out with an "RV approved 4 bike rack fitting into a 2" reciever. Here is the link: https://www.yakima.com/roadtrip
Personally, it is a step in the right direction , but I would not buy it as you have to buy several add ons to actually secure the bike. There are no locks, you would (probably) need a stabilizer bar to keep bike(s) from shifting. By the time you add this to a base price of $200, you are approaching $400 real quick. Not really a fan of the Swagman series either, but am thinking real hard about a Thule T2 system, even though it is not "approved" for RV use.m Just a much better system and not much more than a Yakima RoadTrip fully equipped.

Just an update to this - Yakima now has the "upgraded" RV approved hitch called "Longhaul". It retails for $299, and has a lot of the missing items that were cost adders to the $199 "Roadtrip". My only concern with the new system is that a thief can take a couple of wrenches to the rack and walk off with the whole thing (minus pin box piece) in about 5 minutes. Also taking a real hard look at the Kuat Sherpa 2.0 platform rack for my MBS 24" MH. Difference in distance from my 1 ton P/U rear wheel to face of hitch and MH is about 2, 2 1/2 feet. I don't think this is going to make a lot of difference in a solid mount system and still have a respectable bike rack for hauling MTB's and city bikes.
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Padlin wrote:
Too rich for me but I'm told these are the gold standard at the moment. They are authorized for the back bumper of RV's.

https://www.1upusa.com/bicycleracks.html

I have one of those, a double, that's about 7 years old and as good as the day I bought it. It is just too cool. Worth every nickel.

Explorer
Explorer
This is the one that I got(RV Approved), will be going on my pinbox.
http://www.swagman.net/product/dispatch/

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
Yakima has come out with an "RV approved 4 bike rack fitting into a 2" reciever. Here is the link: https://www.yakima.com/roadtrip
Personally, it is a step in the right direction , but I would not buy it as you have to buy several add ons to actually secure the bike. There are no locks, you would (probably) need a stabilizer bar to keep bike(s) from shifting. By the time you add this to a base price of $200, you are approaching $400 real quick. Not really a fan of the Swagman series either, but am thinking real hard about a Thule T2 system, even though it is not "approved" for RV use.m Just a much better system and not much more than a Yakima RoadTrip fully equipped.
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Pin Box work well. Bikes will noyt get dirty if you use a cover

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

diftw
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis M M wrote:
This is not where I bought it, but we have carried two bikes back and forth across the country on the back of the fiver for a 5 or 6 years with no issues using this Swagman rack

Works great and we use it anytime we want to haul the bikes on the Jeep as well.

We purchased this rack last season and it works great. Trip to Florida and back on rough roads and no issues with the bikes. The price from Walmart is very good-$50 cheaper than what we paid from Amazon.
Dave and Anne
2016 Grand Design 337RLS
2015 Ford F350 XLT 6.7l 4x4
Reese Elite 18K Hitch
Rotochocks
Rota Flex by Trail Air Pin Box
Barker 4-wheel 25 gallon tote
Nights Camped in 2009 - 33
2010 - 37
2011 - 31

2012 - 35
2013 - 42
2014 - 45
2015 - 46
2016 - 51
2017 - 43

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Too rich for me but I'm told these are the gold standard at the moment. They are authorized for the back bumper of RV's.

https://www.1upusa.com/bicycleracks.html
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

WE_CAMP2
Explorer
Explorer
alexleblanc wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
phillyg wrote:
I asked on delivery and was told the Monrana square bumper would support a bike rack. Forest River told me "no" for the Wildcat and a sticker on the bumper stated the warranty was void if anything was attached to it. I compared both bumpers and concluded the Montana's was better built. I installed a bolt-on receiver and a Thule bike rack. Two bikes with no issues.
Will the dealer pay you for the bikes if the bumper fails?

I don't understand with a 5er why more don't use a pinbox mount. So it is a bit more work to get the bikes to the rack, but they naturally bounce less, are in your view, and don't add to the length of the rig.

Most likely does not have an 8ft bed, I know I couldn't mount it on my pin box for that reason, not enough room.

I have a pin box mounted bike rack with my short box, we have easily carried 3 bikes up front.
2017 F250 CC SB PSD & 2008 Cameo 5'er

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
SabreCanuck wrote:
Hammerboy wrote:
I also did the pin box method about a dozen years ago on my last fifth wheel, had four bikes on it. Worked ok, not not the best solution as it takes the full brunt of bugs and rain. I always pulled ahead a little and stood on the tailgate while my wife would hand me the bikes. Rear bumper is probably the most convenient but you know the risks there.

Thinking outside the bike rack box here:

Another idea I got off this forum is to put them inside the truck. My wife and I can easily fit both in the back of the cab with the rear seat folded up and the front wheels off. Of course this only works when its just the wife and I. My kids are older now and have jobs, school and college so they only go with us occasionally.

I can also fit a couple of bike in front of the hitch in the back of the truck with the front wheels off.

I can fit them in the basement and the front compartment too as well and inside the door.

I like the idea of them out of the elements if possible.

Dan

I have to agree with this wholly. We have and carry our bikes on a factory rack on the back of the fifth. But before we had this fifth we carried bikes inside the camper and they are in much better condition when done travelling than now.

I always recommend people Go get yourself a quality bike that has quick disconnect front AND rear tires and they really don't take any room at all when storing. Added bonus is you will have a much better bike.

This is how I take advantage of the quick disconnects.

I made this for our two bikes. Been on the 5er for 4 seasons. It helps to have a solidly mounted bumper.

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy wrote:
I also did the pin box method about a dozen years ago on my last fifth wheel, had four bikes on it. Worked ok, not not the best solution as it takes the full brunt of bugs and rain. I always pulled ahead a little and stood on the tailgate while my wife would hand me the bikes. Rear bumper is probably the most convenient but you know the risks there.

Thinking outside the bike rack box here:

Another idea I got off this forum is to put them inside the truck. My wife and I can easily fit both in the back of the cab with the rear seat folded up and the front wheels off. Of course this only works when its just the wife and I. My kids are older now and have jobs, school and college so they only go with us occasionally.

I can also fit a couple of bike in front of the hitch in the back of the truck with the front wheels off.

I can fit them in the basement and the front compartment too as well and inside the door.

I like the idea of them out of the elements if possible.

Dan

I have to agree with this wholly. We have and carry our bikes on a factory rack on the back of the fifth. But before we had this fifth we carried bikes inside the camper and they are in much better condition when done travelling than now.

I always recommend people Go get yourself a quality bike that has quick disconnect front AND rear tires and they really don't take any room at all when storing. Added bonus is you will have a much better bike.
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚