cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bought wife a tripod

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer
Wife has always wanted one of those tripods, so got one off craigslist, put it up to test it out, then put scissor jacks down and once they touched I cranked them a couple more cranks, was surprised at the creaking and other movement noise that happened, fifth wheel has sat since summer of 2012, so in all that time I had it only on the tires and the landing legs, wondering if the creaking was from maybe it sagging over time and now I was causing it to be forced back to level.
Anybody ever have much creaking and other noise when cranking the scissors jacks down?
Unit did seem to be a lot more solid.
12 REPLIES 12

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
We are fulltimers so I don't know if your issue was because of sitting but we never had any creaking like you are posting about. We move aver week to 2 weeks.
The Bipod/tri pod didn't work for me--and I gave it a more than fair chance. almost 10 years, for it to get it's act together ๐Ÿ˜ž before installing permanently installed stabilizers on the front & rear of our 38' Carriage 8 years ago so now Mamma is a happy camper and you know what happens when Mamma is happy don't you??
If you are really concerned, is is possible to contact the manufacturer to see if they have an answer?? Hugs & HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!! Di
2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I use a tripod and I put as much weight as I can on the back jacks and the tripod and little on the landing gear. I get a little creak from the Morryde LRE suspension cuz it's just really creaky but none from the frame or boxwork. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
The tripod was helpful for front movement.....when I could use it. Often, if the site was really unlevel front to rear, I was unable to use it. I sold it and bought the Steadyfast system. I love it! Always able to use it. Fast and easy and no storage. Phillip
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

Miles_Away
Explorer
Explorer
Did I read where your wife bought your a mink coat???
M & M :C On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The OP's question was;
"wondering if the creaking was from maybe it sagging over time and now I was causing it to be forced back to level.
Anybody ever have much creaking and other noise when cranking the scissors jacks down?."

Any how... a trailers std leaf spring suspension has lots of metal to metal contact points under stress/load and can be very noisy as it gets older. Listen to one as its towed slowly around the campground with all the creaking noises. My current '97 28' 5er is very noisy.

I've owned a TT and three 5ers and over a dozen equipment/enclosed trailers. They were all noisy. All is normal.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
When we had our 1988 Jayco 28ft 5th, I used to get it a little nose low, put down the rear scissor jacks, raise the front end about 5 to 10 turns (a manual turn did not move it much those days) to make it a bit nose high, set up the tripod as tight as I could get it, and lower the 5th onto it, with just some weight still on the landing legs. Usually got it level.

Worked great for 10 years. Made it much more stable back then. Was recommended way when we bought it from Gillette's.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Grady23
Explorer
Explorer
I will add my vote for the JT Stabilizers. Tried the Tripod twice then installed the JT system and won't go back to the tripod again. It's for sale for $30 if anyone wants it.
Retired
2010 Cougar 318SAB
2012 Chevy 2500HD Ext Cab Duramax w/Allison
Grady Gulfstream w/twin 150'S
We're Just getting started

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I much prefer my JT Strong arm stabilizers, much more solid and nothing extra to carry./ ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't used my tripod since getting the JT stabilizers but when I did use the tripod I would set everything up first including the rear stabilizers and leave the front just a hair low. Then I put the tripod under the kingpin and set the front level, seemed to work pretty good just not as good as the JT's.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

jeb5
Explorer
Explorer
Put down the stabilizer jacks last. The tripod will lift the front of the RV and snap off the bolts if you are not careful. Level, tripod, stabilizer in that order.
Ford F-350, 6.7 Diesel, 4x4, Long Bed
Newmar Kountry Star 5th Wheel

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
partsman01 wrote:
Wife has always wanted one of those tripods, so got one off craigslist, put it up to test it out, then put scissor jacks down and once they touched I cranked them a couple more cranks, was surprised at the creaking and other movement noise that happened, fifth wheel has sat since summer of 2012, so in all that time I had it only on the tires and the landing legs, wondering if the creaking was from maybe it sagging over time and now I was causing it to be forced back to level.
Anybody ever have much creaking and other noise when cranking the scissors jacks down?

No it was just complaining, because you didn't use it for a year and a half!!

:S:o

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
partsman01 wrote:

No it was just complaining, because you didn't use it for a year and a half!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"