cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

buy new or used Fifth wheel

donasmocha
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I are newbies we have been in a 30 ft travel trailer for 9 months and want to get a fifth wheel now. We bought a 2014 heavy duty Silverado 2500 z71 4x4 in Nov. now we are looking for a new or used trailer. Question which one? some have said used then some said new we are so confused! Help!
40 REPLIES 40

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
Buying used or new is a personal and financial choice. We choose new and rely on the first year warranty and extended warranties for repairs. we had several problems with our bought new 06 Rv but between the Manufacturers warranty and the extended warranty it cost us @1,400 over a 7 years period including the cost of the 7 year extended warranty.

We never saw used Rv that meet our standards and we are not handy with repairs.

We did help friends of ours purchase a first time used Rv. It was a Dutchman TT in excellent condition and warrantied by the dealer. It was 6 years old and looked like new.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is a big advantage to being handy. We bought a real fixer upper for our first 5er, several hours of labor and a bout $300 in materials we had a nice older 5er. We fond we still liked camping after several years away.

We then bought a 2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, and fixed a little lifted vinyl and on the first trip repaired all the drawer slides. Nothing major just shimmed for a better fit.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rkortes
Explorer
Explorer
shadows4 wrote:
ventrman wrote:
A Lot of People who buy used do not actually own the RV. It is owned by the Bank. When I purchased mine, I used the one Payment Plan.

X2

I use the opposite strategy... Usually buy used with cash but have to make payments if new because I don't have that much cash. Therefore... I almost always buy used so I don't have to rent someone else' money.
Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 SRW Duramax/Ali
Toy Hauler - 2008 Ragen FA3005
The Journey Is The Destination!

yr2017
Explorer
Explorer
richfaa wrote:
No I like new and most of us do not have horse trailers.

I had two 40' Tetons (1995 & 2000) before I went with the horse trailers. A little info about the Jamco trailer: All aluminum channel construction - 20 yr warranty on the walls and 7 yrs on the rest of it; they weigh less, have two marine heads and more living space if configured right. Mine has a 20' shortwall and 25' long wall x 8' high x 8' wide with two 8000# axles and "G" tires. They are about the same price.

The one I'm looking to upgrade to has three 8000# axles and is all living space, because I no longer haul horses. That means 50x8x8 which is a lot of volume and it will be able to sleep six comfortably with 2 marine heads + 2 showers and haul my Jeep Wrangler - two side & rear door with ramps. Three CruiseAir heat/ac units. About $155k out the door and registered. www.bloomertrailers.com/trailers
Big AL
DOD - 02 APR 2020 - CANCER

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
ventrman wrote:
A Lot of People who buy used do not actually own the RV. It is owned by the Bank. When I purchased mine, I used the one Payment Plan.

X2
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
God Bless!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
tsetsaf wrote:
We buy everything used and it works out great. Our old 5er just sold for more than we purchased it for 4 years ago. The "new" rig is a 2014 model year that was owned for a grand total of 3 months by the previous owners. They took the hit we got the new rig. Takes patience and perseverance but can work out well in the end.

X2 here. 2006 trailer & 2006 truck. 16,000 miles on the truck. 6 months used. The price paid for both was less than MSRP on trailer alone. Like getting the truck for free.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
We buy everything used and it works out great. Our old 5er just sold for more than we purchased it for 4 years ago. The "new" rig is a 2014 model year that was owned for a grand total of 3 months by the previous owners. They took the hit we got the new rig. Takes patience and perseverance but can work out well in the end.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

oldbeek
Explorer
Explorer
Used. I have a 1994 Alpenlite 27sl. At 20 yrs old and 77,000 miles it is solid as a rock. There is a 29rk,1995 in La Grand Oregon for $10,500. looks clean and the truck you have will handle it. It also looks like the axles have been flipped for 4wd clearance.
1994 27sl Alpenlite with many mods, 2001 Dodge Cummins 2x4 3.54 Auto trans built shift kit and 2nd gear lock up mod. Mojave Green billet, triple disc low stall torque converter. Gauges and raptor 3/8inch fuel system. 12.5 mpg avg

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
yr2017 wrote:
richfaa wrote:
We have never purchased a used truck or Rv. We have had 6 Rv's and three trucks over the years. Trucks have warranties and Rv's have one or two year warranties. The vast majority of problems will be within the warranty period. After that a extended warranty is a good idea. We like new.

Used trucks have warranties also - usually the remaining of the five yr/100000 mi. But, you can buy an extended from the mfgr.

Good trailers have longer warranties. I have two living quarter horse trailers. The Jamco has a remaining five yr warranty and 15 yrs on the walls. Plus, I don't have to smell the formaldehyde of the new units.

And you like paying for depreciation.

No I like new and most of us do not have horse trailers.

yr2017
Explorer
Explorer
richfaa wrote:
We have never purchased a used truck or Rv. We have had 6 Rv's and three trucks over the years. Trucks have warranties and Rv's have one or two year warranties. The vast majority of problems will be within the warranty period. After that a extended warranty is a good idea. We like new.

Used trucks have warranties also - usually the remaining of the five yr/100000 mi. But, you can buy an extended from the mfgr.

Good trailers have longer warranties. I have two living quarter horse trailers. The Jamco has a remaining five yr warranty and 15 yrs on the walls. Plus, I don't have to smell the formaldehyde of the new units.

And you like paying for depreciation.
Big AL

yr2017
Explorer
Explorer
donasmocha wrote:
My husband and I are newbies we have been in a 30 ft travel trailer for 9 months and want to get a fifth wheel now. We bought a 2014 heavy duty Silverado 2500 z71 4x4 in Nov. now we are looking for a new or used trailer. Question which one? some have said used then some said new we are so confused! Help!

We buy them used, no more than five years old. That truck should be able to pull 12-14000lbs no problem. Less if you add an extra fuel tank.
Big AL

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
We have never purchased a used truck or Rv. We have had 6 Rv's and three trucks over the years. Trucks have warranties and Rv's have one or two year warranties. The vast majority of problems will be within the warranty period. After that a extended warranty is a good idea.

We like new.

Seattle_Lion
Explorer
Explorer
We are new too. Last season was our first. We bought new. Yes, used is way cheaper, but with used you need to be prepared to fix things. We didn't feel that we were ready for that sort of exposure. Money is an object with us, but comfort and security are really important too. So we bought an expensive TT last year. It had some serious issues, but since it was new, the manufacturer and dealer had to handle them. We traded it in for a new FW. We do our PDI on Saturday.

I'm glad we did it. Can't wait for our first trip.
2014 Heartland Bighorn 3160 Elite
2014 Ford F350 diesel, 4x4, SRW, crew cab, short bed

Happily camping with my wonderful wife Bobsgirl and our timid golden retriever Daisy Sweetpuppy

Life's a journey. Make it fun!

our new blog