cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

clarification on LT vs ST tires please

Bombfixer
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a 2013 raptor toyhauler. I have been reading all the posts about tires along with all the either good information here. Here is my question: the toy hauler I bought comes with ST tires. They are made by General. When we negotiated the price, they threw in a complete 5 yr king pin to brake lights full service warranty. I thought that was a good deal. But when I asked about replacing the ST tires with LT three, I was told that it would void the warranty. The keystone rep told me that LT were made for the two vehicle, not for a trailer. He said that's why STs are called Special Trailering tires they are made specific for trailers. Is someone blowing smoke up my skirt? Should I risk voiding the warranty by changing to LTs? I have not yet actually taken delivery of the unit nor have I actually gotten the warranty in my hands to see exactly what it says about tires. I am going to be pulling this rig with a 2014 Ram 3500 drw, with the new air bag suspension, Cummins motor and Aisin tranny.
25 REPLIES 25

dedmiston

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

mpfireman
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
mpfireman wrote:
ST tires are made with stiffer and additional plies in the side walls, thus when turning ,your trailer's 2nd or 3rd axle being stationary causes these other tires to slide around corners. LT tires lack these added plies. But again many RV owners have switched from the ST tires to the LT tires. It's your rig, so you have to make that choice. ST tires also contain additional rubber compounds that are designed to withstand long exposure to the sun, thus they say, less sidewall cracking.
Pure BALONEY! Obviously you have never compared a ST tire and a LT tire side by side. The sidewalls on an ST tire are like a bicycle tire in comparison. The only reason they are on there when new is because they are CHEAP and the manufacturers don't want you to know that...Stop drinking the Kool Aide! If you ever ran a set of LT tires on your rig you would never go back.

B.O.

Wow, somebody got out of bed on the wrong side this AM. We all read different materials and articles, thus there is a wide opinion about different tires. Their advantages and disadvantages. Everyone has their opinion on makes, sizes, ETC, I hope that won't change.
1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
Typical salesman, doesn't have a clue.
With LT tires, you won't need the warranty for tire issues cause you won't have them.

🙂 🙂 Yah they are all MORONS. 🙂
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
So what IS the difference between a 32lb ST235/80R-16 and a 60lb LT235/85R-16? Yes, the truck tire is slightly bigger but that doesn't account for nearly double the weight.

That question would be easier to answer if you linked/referred to specific tires. Sixty pounds sounds like you might be talking about a Michelin Rib, which has a lot of steel in it. That would account for part of the extra weight in that case. It's also regrooveable, so there's likely substantially more uncut material in the tread area.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
CapriRacer wrote:

I have an idea. Why not ask someone who designs tires what he thinks?

And the answer is that for practical purposes, there is no difference in the casings between an ST tire and an LT tire.
So what IS the difference between a 32lb ST235/80R-16 and a 60lb LT235/85R-16? Yes, the truck tire is slightly bigger but that doesn't account for nearly double the weight.

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
B.O. Plenty wrote:
mpfireman wrote:
ST tires are made with stiffer and additional plies in the side walls, thus when turning ,your trailer's 2nd or 3rd axle being stationary causes these other tires to slide around corners. LT tires lack these added plies. But again many RV owners have switched from the ST tires to the LT tires. It's your rig, so you have to make that choice. ST tires also contain additional rubber compounds that are designed to withstand long exposure to the sun, thus they say, less sidewall cracking.
Pure BALONEY! Obviously you have never compared a ST tire and a LT tire side by side. The sidewalls on an ST tire are like a bicycle tire in comparison. The only reason they are on there when new is because they are CHEAP and the manufacturers don't want you to know that...Stop drinking the Kool Aide! If you ever ran a set of LT tires on your rig you would never go back.

B.O.

I have an idea. Why not ask someone who designs tires what he thinks?

Glad you asked. It's actually been a while since I was actively designing tires, but the principles haven't changed in the meantime.

And the answer is that for practical purposes, there is no difference in the casings between an ST tire and an LT tire.

But part of the problem here is trying to compare apples to apples. There is hardly any overlap in sizes - and size does indeed change the strength of the casing, which in turn affects the uninflated stiffness.

It also affect the way a tire reacts to load (ie - sidewall bulge) in that a tire with a larger load carrying capacity will bulge less with the same load.

And did I mention that there may be differences from brand to brand? Not huge ones (certainly not on the bicycle tire level), but enough for people to perceive differences.

And I sure hope no one is trying to compare a steel ply tire with one made of polyester.

Flame on!

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, I'm impressed. Put this topic on the 5er forum and it would have been blown up beyond belief by now. I guess you guys understand the problem over here and don't need to call each other names.

Bravo!!!!

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
mpfireman wrote:

B.O.

Was going to say the same thing... Sidewalls on every ST tire I have looked at are always bulging under load but LTs show very little if any bulging.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
Ric - I'm sure you meant ST, not LT???

yes. thanks and fixed
2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Ric - I'm sure you meant ST, not LT???
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
mpfireman wrote:

B.O.
X2

x3 when one of those robust ST tires, specially designed for trailer use and made with communist pride decided to shed its tread and do $1,300 in damage to my brand new TH

But hey, also hear they don't fill ST tires with air...they fill them with love.
2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
B.O. Plenty wrote:
mpfireman wrote:

B.O.
X2

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
mpfireman wrote:

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

flyinguy68
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
One thing I never realized about my "ST" tires is that they are rated for 65mph max. In Arizona, our interstate speed limit is usually 75mph. However, with that said, there always appears to be a vehicle cruising down the highway at something less than 65. I usually drive my rig at 64-65mph, but on occasion, I've had to bump it up to 70 while passing so I don't impede traffic. I get a little nervous taking those ST tires up to 70 for the minute or so that it takes to pass.

And while I'm on the subject, a pet peeve of mine is when I ride behind a slower vehicle for quite a while, and finally make up my mind to pass. It seems that quite often, the said vehicle must not like getting passed by a big truck and FW, and decides to speed up once I'm in the passing lane. Or worse, start pacing my speed so I can't get back over!

Jim I hear ya on that passing phenomenon. Or reverse, somebody busts a gut to pass you and then slows down slower than I am going. I'm on cruise so I know I didn't suddenly speed up grrrr.

Anyway regarding the 65mph limit on ST's. IMHO it's not a limiting factor for a brief passing maneuver. It's a long term factor designed to keep the tires from over heating and failing. So I say complete your pass and resume your 65mph.
'11 GMC 3500 Diesel Dually
'13 Keystone Fuzion 360
Toys to be hauled:
'08 Can-Am Outlander 650 Max XT
'04 Honda 450 ES Foreman
'03 BMW K1200LT