cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Clunking noise while towing

Explorer
Explorer
I am new to driving a fifth wheel, but not new to towing. I just got a 98 31' sea breeze fifth wheel. I am using a 15k Reese hitch with kwik sliders. Any time I accelerate from a stop, there is a loud and noticeable "clunking" sound that comes from the trailer. I used the search function, but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know what might cause this and if it is a real problem or not.
37 REPLIES 37

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Had a RBW hitch then changed to B&W, so much nicer! No more annoying clunking.

Sold the RBW on Craig's List.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Mike_LeClair
Explorer
Explorer
goin2themountains wrote:
Yep, Reese clunk. However, knowing that nothing is wrong, the sound is intrinsic in the hitch design, I keep towing and ignore it as I have for the last 9 years.

Oh! I like this reply the best! This is EXACTLY what I have been and will continue to do. Sometimes I kind of wonder if the pursuit of the best of the best of the best hasn't gotten just a wee tad out of control in our first world countries. Just saying! (flame proof suit ON!)

Cheers!

Mike
Something Old, Something New
2012 F350 SRW, 6.7l Powerstroke, 3.55's front and rear.
2008 Fleetwood Regal 325RKTS
Mike, Carol and our 4 legged "furry child" Kenzie Shweenie Tod

overthehillbill
Explorer
Explorer
car2900 wrote:
Been there, done that. Had a Reese 15K w/slider, clunk, clunk, clunk. Realized I never used the slider. Got the B&W Patriot that drops right down in the standard rails. No more clunk. Great hitch. Thanks to Craigslist I sold the Reese to someone that will have clunk, clunk, clunk.

X-2, swapped out a Reese 16K select for a B&W Patriot. Clunk and chuck all gone.
Bill
'08 Cedar Creek 32TK, 35'9", 13,990#
'01 F-250,Lariat, 7.3L, SC, Auto, LB, JW Towmaster Tranny, 6.0L Tranny cooler, DP custom tunes, 4" Turbo back exhaust, Auto Meter Gauges, Firestone Air Bags. '07 Headlights and Grille, Prodigy P-3.

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
Does it "clunk" as you are applying your brakes to stop and then again when you start moving? That would indicate that there is play some wheres in your hitch.

This is what mine(Reese 16k) did for a number of years and found that the slider lock bar was locked in the manuver postion although the hitch was in the towing position and I never used it, so never checked it. After moving it to tow lock, no more clunk.

I would also check torgue on all bolts on hitch and installation brackets.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

goin2themountai
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, Reese clunk. However, knowing that nothing is wrong, the sound is intrinsic in the hitch design, I keep towing and ignore it as I have for the last 9 years.
Puller: '08 HD3500 4x4 dually,CC Duramax/Allison.
Pullee: 2008 Montana 3605RL 10th Anniversary Package, Reese 16k w/ slider (holdover from old shortbed)

PedroNW
Explorer
Explorer
search, noisy reese 5th wheel hitch, look for response from likes to tow of Huntington WV, he describes what is happening and how to easily fix the problem,

mguay
Explorer
Explorer
The MorRyde is not for clunking...it is for chucking! A great add-on! I will never go back to a fixed box.
2007 Volvo VNL 780 D12/Ultra Shift Singled
2017 Smart Fortwo Prime Cabrio
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3715FB

freestoneangler
Explorer
Explorer
This feeds right into a question I have about whether the Mor-Ryde hitch (offered on some 5vers) makes any difference in addressing this? We'll be buying a 5ver and a hitch for the truck soon...so I'm all ears... would think a constant clunk to be annoying.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
car2900 wrote:
Been there, done that. Had a Reese 15K w/slider, clunk, clunk, clunk. Realized I never used the slider. Got the B&W Patriot that drops right down in the standard rails. No more clunk. Great hitch. Thanks to Craigslist I sold the Reese to someone that will have clunk, clunk, clunk.

X2
My old Reese 16k kwik slider did the same thing. The slide rollers would move slightly if you didn't roll into the throttle, or fast breaking. Fixed hitch, no more banging.
Patriot should fit your rails OP.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. It's sounds like its pretty common for the Reese. The sound is coming from the hitch, and not the trailer brakes. The hitch was free to me, so I'm not opposed to selling it and going a different route.

For those of you with the b&w patriot, it will just drop on the rails I already have in the truck?

Thanks again

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Who installed the rails? If it wasn't you or even if it was I would check the torque on the bolts. They should be 100 ft lbs. If any are loose check to be sure there are spacers inside the frame rails. That's all I got. Oh and try adjusting your brake controller as like someone said that can cause issues.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

cwit
Explorer
Explorer
I would call it the reese pro series clunk. The select series and up does not have this. Between the slide bar and the pins that hold the head on you will have play. Add a slider and the pro series will really clunk.

mguay
Explorer
Explorer
car2900 wrote:

X2

That noise is called the Reese clunk!
Craigslist it and get a Patriot like we did!!!
2007 Volvo VNL 780 D12/Ultra Shift Singled
2017 Smart Fortwo Prime Cabrio
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3715FB

F4whlr
Explorer
Explorer
Had a similar noise/clunk problem with my Reese 15k (no slider) I had play where the "pins" go into the rails. Someone on here posted making shims to correct the problem.well I used Gorilla h/d duct tape and cut out where pins go....problem gone.all I do is replace tape when needed.
F4whlr
2009 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2004 Chev Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison/4.10
Prodigy B/C
K&N F/I air intake

car2900
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40 AH
2010 Chevy HHR toad
Blue Ox Avail - SMI AF-1