cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cord rubbing on tailgate

nano
Explorer
Explorer
Aside from mounting a receptacle in the box of the truck, how can you keep the cord from rubbing on the tailgate of the truck?
2013 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
42 REPLIES 42

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
wittmeba,

If I did something like you I would break it off in no time. But at least you did something!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Okie1 wrote:
Exactly.......

hedge wrote:
I don't get it, for the minimal expense and 1/2 hour to install why not install an in-bed plug?

X3

Next lesson : No towing mirrors fix :W
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
hedge wrote:
I don't get it, for the minimal expense and 1/2 hour to install why not install an in-bed plug?

Because I have been waiting for you to do it for me.:R
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

wittmeba
Explorer
Explorer
For a while we did as MC9 - with the tailgate part way down the plug fits thru the hinge area (at corners) of the tailgate and used the bumper plug...then...

I didnt want the large hole in my truck bed and didnt want wire splices into the factory harness - so this is what I did.

You can use the plug at the bumper with an extension cord. No need to drill large holes in the truck bed. Ford truck bed is a double wall and the cord runs inside the walls. You may need to undo one end connector to pass thru the hole in the truck bed wall and the bracket. Cable is color-coded to match the marked connectors. Easy to reassemble.

1 male connector
1 female connector
1 8' 7 conductor cable
1 mounting plate
About $30.00 total

You can buy an extension for about $35.00 terminated with the right connector on each end. You may need to remove one end for lacing the wire.

Extension cable:
http://www.reese-hitches.com/products/7_Way_5th_Wheel___Gooseneck_Trailer_Extension,118664

Bracket here:
http://www.kaffenbarger.com/index.php?productID=192

If you tow any kind of utility trailer with brakes, the connector is still at the bumper for use.

NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefoxยฎ 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with a few others here. I would install an in bed plug. My last truck didn't have one & I always worried about the cord rubbing on my tailgate. Have one now & wouldn't be without.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd considered an in-bed plug, but after using the one under the bumper I decided that it wasn't necessary. The ones I've seen require you to reach into the bed to plug in the cord. That looks more inconvenient than where the plug is mounted now. From what I've seen of them they look like you would have to lower the tailgate to easily plug in, or reach over the top of the bed, both of which more of a hassle than plugging in under the bumper.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MyakkaTT
Explorer
Explorer
Installed bed plug after cord slipping over corner of truck on tight tour then almost removing cord from trailer when straightening out. Took about 20 minutes and was like 40 dollars. But I did let drape over tailgate for many years before I had the first real issue.
2002 Winnebago Itasca Sunrise 32V
Towing a 2013 Jeep Wrangler
My Wife: Dawn
Myself: Scott
Our Dog: Our new Fur Kid, Kylee
Our Photos

[purple]"Quietly Making Noise"[/purple]

Okie1
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly.......

hedge wrote:
2016 F-350 four door Lariat 4X4 long bed & 2012 Sabre 34RLQS...

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
Have someone lie in the back of the truck to ensure it does not rub. Good job for future ex-wife or red-headed step child.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

Endricken
Explorer
Explorer
Inexpensive black tailgate top edge protector accessory works for me. Improves the looks and complements the black handle and mudflaps.
Retired USAF
Silver 05 Dodge RAM LB CTD Dually 4Speed Auto SWD 3.73, Westin Sportsman Grill & Taillight Guards,Husky Mudguards, Retractable Ball Hitch, Onboard Air & Horns, MaxBrake - towing 2005 Keystone Montana Big Sky 3670 with Star Performance adapter

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
john&bet wrote:
I have draped over the tail gate for the last 8 years without rubbing paint off or rubbing a flat spot on the cord. In fact it very seldom moves while going down road or on turns.
That's been pretty much what I've noticed.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

sele
Explorer
Explorer
WE have always used a bed plug they are fairly simple to install, for me the hardest part was drilling that first hole. this time I went with an extension that plugs in to the factory plugin. Plug it in when we use the f'ver and unplugged when pulling my boat
scott

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
I use a bungee cord inside the need to tighten the cord, then a piece of foam pipe insulation over it. It takes the shape of the cord, and I've used the same piece for 5 years.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
I use a shock (bungie) cord attached to the back of the pin box then crimped the other hook to the cord. This gently pulls the cord to the rear along the hitch and above the tailgate. The rest of the cord just hangs down to the rear mounted plug. No rubbing
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)