cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Destroyed a Reese 16K

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
So my inlaws showed up last week for a couple days. We had a project to do before a 2 week trip for them so they brought their 5er. He wanted me to install the JT strongarm kit for him and of course I agreed. When they got to my house he had a slight emergency (restroom) and asked me to back his trailer in. I jumped in his truck and started backing up. Noticed a lot of front to back motion and then heard a loud BANG!!! Didn't see any issue's so parked the trailer and went about getting him set.
After the weekend we went to hook him up and he noticed a piece of steel laying in the bed of the truck. I didn't recognize it so I pulled the hitch head off and immediately found both front and back frames bent AND a big weld broked in half right at the jaws.

My first thought was to just weld it in and get them going. Next was to call Reese. Once I sent them some pics we decided that this head was junk and time to figure out plan B. That piece of steel is what stops the jaws from shifting back and forth in the hitch head. Reese said it looked like he high hitched at some point and bent that bracket causing front and back motion that just got worse. It weakened it enough that if finally snapped.

The good news is the RV dealer about 30 miles a way had a nice shiny new Anderson Ultimate that I talked him into and he is now a VERY happy man!! He couldn't believe how much slop was in that Reese!!

Here are a couple more pics

Hope this helps someone else

Chris
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Quad cab
B&W 20K turnover ball, Proline custom flatbed
Tekonsha P3
2015 Open Rang Light 311FLR
24 REPLIES 24

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
christopherglenn wrote:
Anyone else notice it is not a 5th wheel hitch? It is now riding on a ball, which makes it some form of gooseneck, which now requires safety chains. For those 10-15k California people, the RV endorsement no longer applies, as it is now a gooseneck RV not a 5th wheel RV trailer.

What are you talking about? It is a 16K reese slider 5th wheel hitch. I tow a gooseneck, but this was a kingpin style normal 5er.

This was not a lubrication issue, the hitch is slimy with grease. It was a screw up on his part plain and simple and He in no way tried to pass on blame. That is why he ponied up for a new hitch without hesitation.

Chris
Tekonsha P3

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone else notice it is not a 5th wheel hitch? It is now riding on a ball, which makes it some form of gooseneck, which now requires safety chains. For those 10-15k California people, the RV endorsement no longer applies, as it is now a gooseneck RV not a 5th wheel RV trailer.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
WeBeFulltimers wrote:
RAS43 wrote:
No, they are a good hitch. My Reese 20k hitch is 19 years old and is still tight and works well. The hitch shown has obviously not been maintained as evidenced by the rust and no sign of any lube. No hitch can stand up to that.

I am not a fan of Reese hitches but this comment is right on the spot. The hitch in the OPs picture was CLEARLY neglected! :E

My 17 year old 15k Reese still works like new. It gets lubed before every trip. Even the mighty Cummins won't last without lubrication.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
Yes, I believe it was damaged sometime before or had defect. I would have called Reese to see if this is an on going problem.

Only if you continually high hitch!
Looked at my 16K and that plate and the one above it are there to limit the up and down movement of the tip of jaws. To break like the picture has most likely several high hitches!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
No, they are a good hitch. My Reese 20k hitch is 19 years old and is still tight and works well. The hitch shown has obviously not been maintained as evidenced by the rust and no sign of any lube. No hitch can stand up to that.

I am not a fan of Reese hitches but this comment is right on the spot. The hitch in the OPs picture was CLEARLY neglected! :E
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Going back and looking at the pictures.. doesn't look like there is much if any rust in the break...

Wouldn't that indicate a sudden failure as opposed to a crack...that became an eventual failure?

OP.. Can you confirm if this was a clean break (all shiny) or was there rust where the break was indicating that this was a crack that over time let go?

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Break was clean. IT was for sure bent at the weld though. This hitch had had some damage from him before. HE is notoriously in a big hurry and does stupid stuff!! If I could use expletives you would understand how much this man frustrates me!!! That is why he has 4 dents on his cab from turning too hard.

I really believe that he had bent that bracket back before. The off camber entry into my drive put the hitch jaws below the bracket and when I came up straight it popped it right off. I talked to Reese and they knew exactly why it happened (High Hitching) and told me not to weld it. If I took the hitch all the way apart and bent the frame I am sure i could fix it. I don't think I would want to sell it to anyone though. He gave me all the parts to get rid of.
I do have a barely used set of slide rails now to go onto craigslist HAHA!!

Chris
Tekonsha P3

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Going back and looking at the pictures.. doesn't look like there is much if any rust in the break...

Wouldn't that indicate a sudden failure as opposed to a crack...that became an eventual failure?

OP.. Can you confirm if this was a clean break (all shiny) or was there rust where the break was indicating that this was a crack that over time let go?

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
My 16K Reese has been trouble free for 10+ years. It gets looked at and lubed every year.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, I believe it was damaged sometime before or had defect. I would have called Reese to see if this is an on going problem.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
He never blamed me at all, just happened to be me driving when it let go. HE is extremely happy with his new Anderson. He said the tow between it and the Mor-Ryde pin box was better than it had ever been. I am wondering if this head had been bent for a very long time allowing it to shift back and forth. He has been thinking about and auto slider for some time so I actaully saved him about 1300.00!!

We will see how happy he is when he has to hook up though

Chris
Tekonsha P3

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:

Agreed... I had a 16K Reese slider hitch for about 7 yrs, then went to 20K Reese Signature hitch for approx 8 yrs, never the first issue with either.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Reese makes a great hitch as long as you use it properly.
HR

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are the reese 16k hitches that bad? I have one came with my 5th when I bought it in may....am I towing with a accident waiting to happen?
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside