cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do I need new tires??

punjab66
Explorer
Explorer
We recently purchased a new/used 2008 Hitch Hiker II 32.5 UKTG. It does not appear to have many miles on it and the tires appear to be in excellent condition. However, we are planning a summer trip to Alaska and we are getting mixed opinions on the need to replace the tires. The guy at the dealership says it's not necessary. Any thoughts on this from someone who has done the Alcan Hwy??
23 REPLIES 23

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I use and I recommend the BFG Commercials on a trucks or trailers with 6k axles and smaller. Hell commerce runs on poly carcass LT E tires on 6k axles and has since the beginning.

However the HH II's the size and era the OP has probably came OEM with 6k axles and the Uniroyal HD-H LT which was a clone to the BFG Commercials and were the OEM tires.

If I was going to make a trip to AK and needed tires on a trailer that size it would be the all steel carcass commercial grade Bridgestone R-250's.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Jim4929
Explorer
Explorer
Any thoughts on this from someone who has done the Alcan Hwy??

If there is any question about the tires making the trip I would buy new ones. I did a 11.5k round trip to Alaska last year. Due to bad shackles, I had to replace all 4 in Soldotna. When you get there and need tires, you are at their mercy as to what brands they have and how much you will have to spend(obviously shipping costs to AK are built into the price of the tires). If you buy them before, you can shop around and get the brand you want. Mine were in good shape before I left, but I had to have the shackles replaced in Whitehorse and the tire wear had already started and continued. I wanted to take the tire question (would they get me back home)off the table and enjoy the trip.
2011 GMC 3500 Sierra Diesel SRW
B&W Patriot Hitch
5th Airborne Pin Box
Laredo 321BH

"Have Trailer, Will Travel"

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
I replace tires on our TV and trailer every 4-5 years regardless of tread remaining. On the truck, they're usually worn out before they're 5 years old. We passed two 5th wheels on the side of I-75 last weekend with blown tires. Road hazard maybe but I'd bet lunch it was old tires. I've seen old LT tires come apart too.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Endricken wrote:
Please don't use BFG Commercial T/A. My newest one was recalled and my 2 slightly older 0909 tires failed in 1112, one with sidewall delamination and the other lost its tread. BFG refused my $800 damage claim...

That is why I do not recommend poly carcass LT used near their max on 5th wheels. I have a friend that lost a TA last spring between Palm Springs and Phoenix and it was not within the recall s/n range. RIBs or R250s with steel ply carcasses are the way to go!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Endricken
Explorer
Explorer
Please don't use BFG Commercial T/A. My newest one was recalled and my 2 slightly older 0909 tires failed in 1112, one with sidewall delamination and the other lost its tread. BFG refused my $800 damage claim...
Retired USAF
Silver 05 Dodge RAM LB CTD Dually 4Speed Auto SWD 3.73, Westin Sportsman Grill & Taillight Guards,Husky Mudguards, Retractable Ball Hitch, Onboard Air & Horns, MaxBrake - towing 2005 Keystone Montana Big Sky 3670 with Star Performance adapter

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny_H wrote:

Ok, I have to ask, why does everyone recommend running LT tires on a trailer instead of ST's when there are major differences in the construction of the tires. See attached excerpt from Tirerack.com

If you look at one/some of the major tire store sites for ST tire mfgrs and recommendations (Carlisle comes to mind), you would think ST tires are the greatest thing since lace-up shoes!.:C

Unfortunately, the majority of ST tires are mfg in China - to ST specs.

What does it matter? (China actually gets a bad rap!)

China - and countries other than the US - are very capable of producing a *quality* product to desired mfgr specifications.

You can find all the previous threads and posts (use "search") where this subject has been thoroughly "beaten to death".

When the search archives are included, there's literally *thousands* of posts by amateurs and self-proclaimed "tire experts", as well as user experiences - some good, but LOTS more on the negative side (of ST) - - and the positive side of "something else".

Soooo ....when you have some time on your hands...try a search on:
"tires", "Chinese tires", any tire brand you can think of, "ST vs LT" (and vice-versa), "tire failures", Goodyear Marathon, etc., etc..;)

Roll on!..:B

Johnny_H
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Chris
Johnny & Cindy
Missie - Yellow Lab
Bubba - Rescued pup
Bopper -Rescued pup

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Johnny_H wrote:
Ok, I have to ask, why does everyone recommend running LT tires on a trailer instead of ST's when there are major differences in the construction of the tires. See attached excerpt from Tirerack.com

There are differences in the driving requirements between the tires on your trailer and those on the car or light truck you used to tow it. Therefore there are distinct differences between the way trailer tires and tow vehicle tires are engineered.

Your tow vehicle is a leader, which means traction is a key focus in the design of its tires. Traction allows your tow vehicle to accelerate down the road, turn around the corner and brake to a stop. Another important consideration is tow vehicle tires are designed for ride comfort, which is achieved in part by allowing their sidewalls to flex.

Your trailer is a follower, which often makes tire sidewall flexing a negative. Sidewall flexing on trailers, especially those with a high center of gravity (enclosed/travel trailers) or that carry heavy loads, is a primary cause of trailer sway. Typical passenger radial tires with flexible sidewalls can accentuate trailer sway problems. The stiffer sidewalls and higher operating pressures common with Special Trailer (ST) designated tires help reduce trailer sway.

Also consider that Special Trailer (ST), as well as Light Truck (LT) tires are fully rated for trailer applications. This means ST- and LT-sized tires can carry the full weight rating branded on the sidewalls when used on a trailer.

Because this trailer luckily came OEM with LT tires.

Take some time to read this post!
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23225970/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

And you might want to read this one also.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23161726/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Johnny_H
Explorer
Explorer

There are differences in the driving requirements between the tires on your trailer and those on the car or light truck you used to tow it. Therefore there are distinct differences between the way trailer tires and tow vehicle tires are engineered.

Your tow vehicle is a leader, which means traction is a key focus in the design of its tires. Traction allows your tow vehicle to accelerate down the road, turn around the corner and brake to a stop. Another important consideration is tow vehicle tires are designed for ride comfort, which is achieved in part by allowing their sidewalls to flex.

Your trailer is a follower, which often makes tire sidewall flexing a negative. Sidewall flexing on trailers, especially those with a high center of gravity (enclosed/travel trailers) or that carry heavy loads, is a primary cause of trailer sway. Typical passenger radial tires with flexible sidewalls can accentuate trailer sway problems. The stiffer sidewalls and higher operating pressures common with Special Trailer (ST) designated tires help reduce trailer sway.

Also consider that Special Trailer (ST), as well as Light Truck (LT) tires are fully rated for trailer applications. This means ST- and LT-sized tires can carry the full weight rating branded on the sidewalls when used on a trailer.
Johnny & Cindy
Missie - Yellow Lab
Bubba - Rescued pup
Bopper -Rescued pup

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was fine with keeping them, assuming weekend trips to the local CG, till you got to the Alaska part.

I think you are more likely to blow a tire on a potole riddled urban street in the lower 48, where a tire store in seldom more than a mile away, but doing a long trip North, where even fuel stations can be more than 100 miles apart, is another story. Blow a tire there because you are riding on old rubber & you will wish that you had bought new quality rubber for the trip real fast.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are they LT235/85R16 'E' rated tires (OEM on 6000# axles) or the updrade 7000# axles with LT235/85R16 'G' Rated tires?

Seeing as how rig was barely used they are probably original tires. (Date code on inside sidewall-----4 digit DOT code XXXX. 1st two numbers (XX) are week that tires were made---2nd set of numbers (XX) is the year 3706=37th week of 2006)

Tires that OLD need to be replaced.
'E' rated (6000# axles)..........lots of good options
'G' rated (7000# upgrade axles)......not lot of options. Goodyear G614's
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Check the date codes. The tires might be brand new. How do you know the previous owner didn't put new ones on it recently?

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
crickeydog wrote:
punjab66 wrote:
Any thoughts on this from someone who has done the Alcan Hwy??

If it were me, I'd install a new set of Michelin Rib or BF Goodrich Commercial T/A tires on your camper before I pulled it around the block...much less to Alaska and back.

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!:)

Emphatically X2
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I got my HHII LS last April and all the tires looked good. I didn't get a spare so I bought one, then had a blowout. So I picked up another and had new tires on one axle. Good thing I picked up a spare. Trip last fall blew another, now have 4 new tires and a "good looking" spare. My HH has a 13,500 lbs gross.

I would check the date codes, if as you suspect it's a low mile rig the tires may be original. I would not chance Alaska on the original tires. 4 new ones on the ground and at least one mounted spare. You could carry another unmounted tire as a backup if it makes you feel better. Repair shops are few and very far between in the northwest. I wouldn't for see any problems with new tires but there's always the unexpected.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman