cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F250 Weight Question

jlud
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so made a post that hit about 7 pages pretty quick on going between motorhome and 5th wheel. After much back and forth, more back and forth, we thought that the 5th wheel might be the way to go.

Now, I sold my F150 last year and have been driving a work beater as we are deciding how to proceed. So, I call down and get the sticker payload off an F250 Screw Diesel XLT...it is only 2166 pounds for combined weight of cargo and occupants with the 10,000 gross pack......that is crazy..rear axle is 6100 pounds though. My 13 Ford F150 Screw had 1900 pounds of payload with the max tow package......

Anyways, on to reality. Most 5th wheels for what we want weight at least 10k pounds empty, up to 12, but lets use 12k pounds as loaded weight. With 200 pounds total for hitch and support, that leaves me with 1966...subtract wife and 4 kids (they are small now) but lets say 400 pounds, takes me down to 1566. Pin weight roughly 20% of weight, and of that 12k pounds, believe that would be 2400 pounds....

So 1566-2400 pounds puts me at negative 834 pounds....that is a quite a ways over...but I see all kinds of people using 2500 series trucks with these units.....

So am I supposed to buy an F350 to pull a 10k fiver? Or does everyone just run them overloaded on the gross but not on axle?

Thanks,
30 REPLIES 30

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
JandK wrote:
I just went through the same agonizing situation. New Montana HC 318RE with a much heavier pin weight thanm my Cougar XLite. We pulled the Cougar all through the US last summer with a 2012 RAM 2500 with a Payload sticker of 2,070# I was probably marginal with that. The new 5ver would put me way over the sticker. As a result of lots of Forum threads read and posted to, I ordered a RAM 3500 Single Rear Wheel CTD. Now the only thing I will worry about is finding a hitch for the factory in bed 5th wheel prep.

Safety is a big concern and the SRW should give me about the same ride as the 2500.

Interesting the 2014 Montana HC 318RE is lighter than our 05 Copper Canyon, and we do just fine with a 14 year old 2500, and stock suspension.

Safety i think about it also, and feel 100% solid on main state highways like this at 55 and 60 mph.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JandK
Explorer
Explorer
I just went through the same agonizing situation. New Montana HC 318RE with a much heavier pin weight thanm my Cougar XLite. We pulled the Cougar all through the US last summer with a 2012 RAM 2500 with a Payload sticker of 2,070# I was probably marginal with that. The new 5ver would put me way over the sticker. As a result of lots of Forum threads read and posted to, I ordered a RAM 3500 Single Rear Wheel CTD. Now the only thing I will worry about is finding a hitch for the factory in bed 5th wheel prep.

Safety is a big concern and the SRW should give me about the same ride as the 2500.
2014 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 LB SRW CTD 3.42
2014 Montana High Country 318 RES
2012 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 LB CTD (traded)

jlud
Explorer
Explorer
Grrrr this is a pain....leaning toward 250 and rating be damned

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful which F350 you get as they have close to a dozen different GVWRS from 10k to 11.5k lbs with three different RAWR numbers. Actually some F250 diesels have more payload than some F350 SRW diesels depending on cab and option packages. Same with the gassers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Seattle Lion wrote:
jlud wrote:
So if it comes down to an F350 with a diesel to do what i need, im inclined to believe thats worth the extra coin from buying the F250 gas. At least in my mind it would be worth it....not sure I need the diesel, but it is wanted. Truck worth a lot more at the end of the day as well.

Thanks for all the input, sounds like IF i go this route, the F350 diesel, or F250 gas, will be the options.

When we had to trade up from our F150, I wanted the gas F250. There was only one 2014 anywhere near here. There were no F350 gas powered trucks around. We are very happy we got the diesel F350. Well I am; the DW uses it as her daily driver and it doesn't accelerate like her F150. I offered to let her drive my DD, a 2013 Mustang GT with Ford Racing performance pack. I am sure she would like the acceleration that has.

Well truck likely weighs at least half again as much as the F150, have her try rolling into the throttle, rather than stomping on it, she will feel less turbo lag!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

jlud
Explorer
Explorer
I called on insurance it would kick it up to commercial so that's a consideration. Wow there is no easy answer.

ricatic
Explorer
Explorer
avvidclif1 wrote:
In the original post I think you said you called and got the payload. I believe I would go to the dealer and look at it myself. It seems awful light. Mine is a 350 diesel crew cab Lariat package but still there isn't that much difference and it has a payload of 3492.

My truck weighs just over 8,000 with just me in it and a full tank. My current setup grosses 19,300 so that put my trailer at 11,300. The is up from a shipping weight of 9300. I am under all ratings but just barely on FA (200 lbs)and GVWR 300 lbs).

Those are real numbers and you can sorta interpolate from there to your plans

I think if you look at your numbers and then look at his, the answer becomes apparent. Your F350 likely has a GVW of 11500 pounds, at least my 2011 F350 did.

His numbers are based on a F250 with a maximum GVW of 10000 pounds...With 1500 pounds of additional capacity added to his number, he would be at your number...or close...

Regards
Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye

jlud
Explorer
Explorer
I have a pic of the label, I'll try to post

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
In the original post I think you said you called and got the payload. I believe I would go to the dealer and look at it myself. It seems awful light. Mine is a 350 diesel crew cab Lariat package but still there isn't that much difference and it has a payload of 3492.

My truck weighs just over 8,000 with just me in it and a full tank. My current setup grosses 19,300 so that put my trailer at 11,300. The is up from a shipping weight of 9300. I am under all ratings but just barely on FA (200 lbs)and GVWR 300 lbs).

Those are real numbers and you can sorta interpolate from there to your plans
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

jlud
Explorer
Explorer
Ironic you say Rockies, wife from Colorado so we would be planning trips or movement.

Seattle_Lion
Explorer
Explorer
jlud wrote:
So if it comes down to an F350 with a diesel to do what i need, im inclined to believe thats worth the extra coin from buying the F250 gas. At least in my mind it would be worth it....not sure I need the diesel, but it is wanted. Truck worth a lot more at the end of the day as well.

Thanks for all the input, sounds like IF i go this route, the F350 diesel, or F250 gas, will be the options.

When we had to trade up from our F150, I wanted the gas F250. There was only one 2014 anywhere near here. There were no F350 gas powered trucks around. We are very happy we got the diesel F350. Well I am; the DW uses it as her daily driver and it doesn't accelerate like her F150. I offered to let her drive my DD, a 2013 Mustang GT with Ford Racing performance pack. I am sure she would like the acceleration that has.
2014 Heartland Bighorn 3160 Elite
2014 Ford F350 diesel, 4x4, SRW, crew cab, short bed

Happily camping with my wonderful wife Bobsgirl and our timid golden retriever Daisy Sweetpuppy

Life's a journey. Make it fun!

our new blog

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
You can go gas F350 if you want. Being in Iowa that might work fine for you. Not so great in the Sierra or the Rockies.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

jlud
Explorer
Explorer

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Get the tow specs from a dealer or contact the manufacturer.
HR